HONDA GXH50 or Mitsubishi TLE43

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by tinman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman New Member

Ok so im down to these two motors for my trike. Can you guys give me your opinions on both of them. Of coarse one is a 2 stroke and one is a 4 stroke. I am mostly concerned with how good each will hold up. How loud they are compared to each other. Anything else that I might find usefull in making my decission is also appreciated.

The mounting of the 2 stroke gives me a better look but is the 4 stroke worth the trade off? This is my issue. Both will work just fine so just give me the pro's and cons of each and maybee it will help me decide. Thanks.

2. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Honda should have more torque and about .3 more HP total, its probably quieter but its heavier, bulkier and carb is gravity fed.

I have the TLE43, its plenty quiet for me in fact my family rarely hears me pull in with it. It's really light and compact. You have to mix the gas of course which is a turn off for some. The carb is pressure fed so the tank can be above or below the engine. There seem to be more upgrade parts for this engine too since they're used on a lot of scooters and pocket bikes.

Personally if I had a trike I would go with the honda since weight isn't as much of an issue and it should have better low end torque for the lower speeds and heavier loads you'll be pulling. If you wanted a pure lightweight speed demon go with the mits.
  3. tinman

tinman New Member

Thanks ..good point cause I am needing more pulling power then speed. Now does that mean the 2 cycle does not have good low end torch or would it be able to get the job done also.
  4. tinman

tinman New Member

51 views so far and anly 1 opinion.
  5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I wish I could compare, but I only have experience with the Honda...and I love it.
  6. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Proper gearing will make that a non-issue.

I'd go with the Mitsu. Less complex than a four stroke, which means less maintenance. You can buy the TLE clones with electric start (and pull start) for about $100. The starter works as a generator so you can run lights, etc. Search ebay for pocket bike engines.
  7. sparky

sparky Active Member

Yea, if I was starting from scrap... the Mitsu clone prolly isn't a bad idea.

I feel like everyone must own a 2-stroke MB at least once in their life
  8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Honda has my vote because of its low end torque and its a 4 stroker. Its also designed for commercial applications and its a HONDA.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. Warner

Warner Member

I have the Mitsu (not a clone) on my bike and so far I love it. I didn't reply because I have no way to compare it with the Honda 4 stroke. My opinion on these things is pretty much in favor of the 2 stroke engine though. Simpler, less maintenance, less weight, more power.......those to me are pretty important considerations for these bikes. Just my opinion...

10. tinman

tinman New Member

Thanks guys, every opinion is important to me. Even if you only have one of the two you can give me your good and bad points of it. I know its like comparing an apple to an orange but thats why its a hard choice for me.
  11. sparky

sparky Active Member

This question will always come down to a few core questions...

What's the application?? ...type of bike and purpose of riding?

But the biggest question will always be... Would you rather mix your oil in the gas, or fill it with straight gas & change the oil. BTW, mixing's not so bad... but sometimes you need to get somewhere and won't have the gas already mixed, so it might take you a bit longer. That's why 4-strokes seem to be suggested more for a daily rider... but of course, the Mitsu could be a daily rider also, but you just have to make sure you plan out how much mixed gas you've got and how much ya need.
  12. Warner

Warner Member

Mixing gas and oil is NOT a big hassle. Dump the proper amount of oil in a gas can (I use a 2 gallon can) and pump the gas in on top of it to mix it up. I carry a spare fuel bottle in my water bottle holder (which I would even if I had a 4 stroke engine and it wasn't pre-mixed). Another upside to a 2 stroke is that you don't have to mess with changing the crankcase oil like you do with a 4 stroke. And then of course the simplicity, weight, and power differences. To me it's a no-brainer, but I know a lot of folks like the 4 strokes.

PS - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the 4 strokes were not designed to be run full throttle for extended periods of time, whereas the 2 stroke engine is designed to be run full throttle for extended periods of time. Is this not the case?
  13. Accender

Accender Member

I think both are good engines. I would go with the four stroke
    because it stores better during the off months. My two stroke garden stuff
    gets a gummy carb if it sits for to long. I do run them out of gas before storing
    and that helps some,but my fours stroke stuff always seems to start right up.

14. Accender

Accender Member

Yes that is the case!

15. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Try running some stabil fuel stabilizer through your last gallon or tank of gas, it'll keep things clean. Works like a charm for me I use it on all the toys.
  16. shawnshank

shawnshank Member

I found the honda for sale online but I can;t find the Mit. Anyone have a link to where I can pick one up?
  17. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

The Mitsu TLE's are commonly used in small scooters too, so Google "TLE-43 Scooter engine" and you'll come up with some links to various retailers.

Two strokes offer great power/weight ratio, which is why they are a natural fit for motorcycles and outboard engines. Four strokes are getting better, but it is pollution regulation and not their own merits that is making them more popular. I rode an old 70's Kawasaki RD-350 two stroke sport bike, and let me tell you, that thing was light, maneuverable and powerful! Gas mileage did suck though, and any greenpeace member would have a heart attack if they saw the HC numbers from the tailpipe! (It was a very quiet bike too!)