Honda/Hua Crash Bar.

F

fetor56

Has anyone ever made a crash bar for the right hand side of the Honda/Hua engine(where the pull start mechanism is) as protection from hard knocks/crashes etc?,it IS very vulnerable.
I'll look around today for a bracket that may possibly fit but if i can't find anything i'll make one myself.......just wondered if it's already been done.
p1010125.JPG

hey fetor
maybe I am missing the picture here
doesn't the peddle sticking out protect it somewhat already ?

I like the looks of that motor bike
and with a Honda -- that's some nice motor bike stuff going on there !

happy riding as you ride that thing

hey fetor
maybe I am missing the picture here
doesn't the peddle sticking out protect it somewhat already ?

I like the looks of that motor bike
and with a Honda -- that's some nice motor bike stuff going on there !

happy riding as you ride that thing
The peddle does help protect the cover to some degree,but if it's not in the correct position it's rendered practically useless.
A friend has broken 2 Honda side covers from accidents(a rather expensive excercise) & there's also the idiot factor,i've had my bike deliberately kicked over to the ground(lucky that time it was a 2-stroke HT)
Prevention. :cry:

sure wasn't very cool of the fool !!!

i've had my bike deliberately kicked over to the ground(lucky that time it was a 2-stroke HT)
Prevention. :cry:

I see your dilemma there fetor
I have a rack mount engine
it's fallen over a couple of times - - engine hit's ground pretty hard

whatever you come up with
just doesn't seem like it will look very great (MB pretty)
but if it saves that motor thing -- understood -- worth it

you have had your MB deliberatey kicked over ?
that sure wasn't very cool of the fool !!!

ride that thing

I had that happen to my 35cc Honda when it was mounted to my trail a bike years ago. It is expensive to fix and doesn't take much for those fins to break and make the starter not want to engage.

The solution looks simple enough when you look at the photo. You can almost see it in the solid black strips starting at the mounting bolts? Attach one leg to each of the bolts and attach the other end to a ring that sits around the emblem and just a little proud of that outermost plastic cap. Because width on these setups is such an issue you wouldn't want any more hanging out than necessary and that should stop any damage getting to the plastic itself if the right metal is used that is stiff enough to take the blow.

It will probably be best if it was welded up out of some steel. Will see what we can do.

Last edited:
@mabman
Not a bad suggestion,thanks.

I was thinking something different,but whatever system i choose the studs have to be replaced(either with stainless steel or hi-tensile studs)
Buy a tool-box(or similar) handle,make sure it's strong & the correct dimensions,& connect it to the two lower pull-start mounting studs ONLY.There are millions of different types of handles out there....door handles....cupboard handles,etc etc.
I'll also use this protection method on my rear engined Titan.....that's even more vulnerable.

The studs for the pull start housing are pretty darn wimpy too. I would try to run a bar off the motor mouting plate. You can bend metal rod in a vice pretty easily, then hammer the ends flat to bolt through. I'd drill holes in the side of the motor mount plate and use some 1/4'' or thicker bolts to take that much force.

I'd be careful not to drop the bike and if I did drop it on that side I'd just use a HuaSheng cover to replace the Honda one cos it's the same and you'll be painting it black anyway. I'm almost certain they are interchangeable. Can't wait for a closer look at your throttle cable system at the carby end Fetor. I like how you've used that noodle to route the cable and I think this bike is going to be as sexy as HoughMade's. Spunky fuel line too I see. I'm getting jealous but I love it.

Back