horrible clutch lever

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by eltatertoto, Jan 19, 2008.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

this is probablly a quick (dumb) issue, but my problem is on my 1st bike i have the clutch almost as smooth and as easy as my dads harley i can pull it with 1 finger, but on this new bike its not humanly possible to pull it all the way back! ive tried taking pictures with fish weight gueges but they bottom out before the clucth ever moves! i have a considerable amount of strength, i can press my weight 180lb and for the life of me i cant pull this lever back with 1 hand! ive never heard of somthing like this! and when i do manage to get it pulled back it really doesnt do much for the clutch without "helping" the clutch arm with my thumb i have the arm on the edge of being disengaged as it is (no pulling) ive never sen this any help? once it warms up on 2s day i will do a vid my vid cam wont work in this cold its -20 windchill and they say 20 min and u'll get frostbite... ive heard of "twist levers" is that what i should get i actually would prefer that that way i can put my brake back, buti dunno where to get 1 from...:confused:

2. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

slsoeven if the clutch is pulled back the bar has hardly any play.

3. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

anybody? i got at least 15 views i really need help i gotta go somewheres monday not trying to be annoying

4. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Did the lever ever disengage the clutch? With the cable disconnected from the clutch release arm can you move the lever freely?

5. kenspice

kenspice Guest

Possibly the wrong clutch spring?

6. We need pics,dude.

7. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

i know its the right spring because it worked ok at one point, it was in freezine rain at one point... wel at work my dad made me a baffle for my pipe he thought the fiberglass would clog but its pretty much made of huge tack welds he only had like 15 min before his boss came back i think its pretty cool but not so pretty lol ill put up pics later but im gonna have the space heaters in the shed on tommro to put in the baffle so ill do the lines also the heaters put it up around 80 is that good enough? lol i think ill hit the lines with wd40 but i am positive the clutch arm is free because its been off 50 million times while i attached the cable, i just relieve the pressure on the arm rather than breaking my thumb lol:smile: but ill let you know, if theres any other suggestions ill be on yahoo messenger until 7 mabey 8 central if you want to pick my brain... wayfastwhitey6969

8. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ill put some up tommro, its 2 cold, my cam wont even boot up outside lol its 5 degrees. actually its been dark for awhile its probablly in the -'s

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I had problems with cables freezing inside their housings. Stipped them down and shot the housings full of LockEase.

10. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

^^ what i plan to do tommrow but can anyone tell me where to get the twist clutch ive been hearing about? i honstly would mich prefer that then i would have easier access and quicker access to my front brake and my back brakes are kinda worn.. plus i wont have to deal with carving my handgrip for the clutch to lock :( or bending the brass thing to the point where it breaks and i cant lock the clutch lol (i did that) (just 3 more posts to go!!!)

11. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Get a GOOD stainless steel clutch cable insert and use your existing outer housing.
    Mix grease with graphite powder and lubricate the cable before inserting it into the housing.Don't have any tight bends in the cable and keep it as short as practicable.
    Extend your clutch arm if u want but that's not really necessary.

12. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ive already greased the cable before and shortened it but never wd 40 or graphite, but ive been doing this sorta thing since i was 9 but this never happened. mebey its because i wasnt crazy enough to ride on solid ice and freezing rain :lol: i will do a detailed vvid later today i just turned onn the space heaters, by the time i go out (9-10 central) it should be warm lol lts 8 now its soo cold are using bottled water for the toilet, every line froze, we have pipe warmers and we let the water drip lol

13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

having a hard pulling clutch is not a new problem for fresh builds here at MBc.
    Use "Search" to find how others have cured the problem.

14. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

hey i just did a vid today i am uploading it now, www.youtube.com/eltatertoto but it brobablly wont be up for an hr or so, youtube takies awhileright now its 1:00 and its still processing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  15. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

the vis is up, see above link

16. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I have not had this problem, but could it be that the bearing in the clutch cover might have fallen out while taking it apart? I've seen that problem on the fourm a few times.
    Do a search for the dual pull brake lever. That will slove your left hand multi tasking.

17. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

well i took my bike over to my dads shed, i use the neighbors shed no room for 2 harleys and 2 motored bikes and a minibike but i thought the lever might not be sturdy enough, as i said in my vid it bent, making it pretty much impossible to lock so you have to push the clutch arm with ur thumb i personally think the old style clutch lever is carp designed he suguested a brake lever for a temporrary fix, but i want somthing that locks, and somthing not like this p.o.s so does any 1 know where i can get (2) levers that are not what i have now? thanks. in summary, the lever no longer travels far enough due to my manleyness lol

18. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

i know i turned the sound off bout 1 ,min in, but about at 445 you can see better, i know its not the engine because i can push it with my thumb just fine, the clutch lever is just f***** up i know this because i took the cable outa my brake and attached the clutch cable to it and it worked just fine, i must have messed up the lever when i was adjusting the clutch nut plus i did somthing stupid again i kept tightining the nuts on the lever because i didnt like how it flopped back n forth.

19. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ok i was looking at this i know its as expensive as gods green earth but i was wondering will it work? cause i plan on doing a lot of stop and go driving stoplights etc. and whith this (unless the fluid freezes) would be ideal and if its as smooth as my dads harley (i ride it on the backroads) this would be ideal, i guess my main question is do you think it would work in the existing adjuster mounted on the engine? ( i mean screw in cable long enough etc) hers the link, if it dont work i will re sell it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYDR...023QQitemZ360014010525QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

20. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest