Hot/Cold Weather Oil/Fuel Ratio

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by asfazrq, Jul 7, 2010.

1. asfazrq

asfazrq Member

Hi guys,

I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this. I am using regular Dino oil (Walmart Super-Tech 2-stroke blue colored oil - works fine) and I regulerly mix 30:1 ratio. Some times have been saying that you should go a little richer in hot weather. is that true? What about cold weather?

Advice is appreciated.

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

First of all I'd use a better oil, as oil is relatively inexpensive, I myself use Amsoil, but there are others that are good, and a 2 cycle oil made for these (HT if that's what you are asking about) small engines. Not outboard oil, if that is what it is. As far as mixture in hot/cold weather I feel the same mixture is good. These small air cooled engines get up to temperature and I really doubt that 50 degree difference is going to make that much difference. Let experimenting guide you, as each type of and each engine runs differently. The oil/fuel ratio depends on the engine manufacture. On a HT I like a little more oil then say a weed eater which today is 50:1
  3. asfazrq

asfazrq Member

Ron Amsoil oil is really expensive. A litre (1000ml) of Dino oil is $4 while Amsoil for the same quantity is almost $14 in canada + tax. I use 30:1 ratio with Dino oil. what ratio do you use with Synthetic oil?

Is it really worth paying $10 extra everytime for an engine that costs $70 or less. Thanks again.
  4. asfazrq

asfazrq Member

If i could know where to buy quality 2 stroke oil product at a great price then that would be appreciated. I am traveling to MI next week so would appreciate some input.
  5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I'm just stating what I use... Use a oil MADE for NON marine air cooled engines. Air cooled engines run hotter then water cooled engines. I run a 32:1 mix.

TYFOON Member

I bought some of Spooky's Maxima Scooterpro Blend.

I am sure Amsoil is better. I ran that in my Kawasaki 1000cc inline 4 for years with success.

How does the Maxima do? Middle of the road? 8 out of 10? What do you all think?

I wonder about summer weather also. I guess I will stick to 24:1 for a couple gallons and then go to 30-32:1.

7. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Maxima is very good oil, it is just not as well known as the other big name oils out there.
  8. asfazrq

asfazrq Member

Can anyone tell me where to buy oils at a decent price?
  9. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I go to my LMS, Local Motorcycle Shop.