Hot Motor

1flyingfool

Local time
4:44 PM
Hi,I'm new here,I live in the Nwest,been playing with these little motors for about two yrs. I seem to have run in to a problem,The little plastic part that fits in the carb is melting? does any one have a soloution?

It's the part that fits in the carb and has a rubber seal, The motor is a Skyhawk, from Kings Bike

is it a cns carb? i dont have one of them , so i couldnt really tell ya. but you might be able to block heat from something with a really thin heat resistant tape made by 3m. its silver metallic heat tape. and that might keep something from getting to hot... you might be able to rap it around the intake tube. then it would block some heat from the carb...

I have no idea what you're talking about without a proper name for the part.
INSIDE the carb, you have the float which is a round peice of plastic in the n.t. carbs and a slightly different material in the cns carb. it's a black solid material like plastic, but it isn't plastic.
the slide appears to be plastic, but i'm unsure if it's actually plastic or aluminum.
those are the only plastic -like parts inside of a carb. that i can think of.
if your float is melting, your engine would not run because it would sink and cause the carb to flood over.
if your slide is melting, then you would have no throttle because it would become distorted in the throttle bore.
if you are melting carb parts, you have major issues.....is it running too lean?
a lean running engine will build a ton of heat.
the n.t. carbs have a plastic (pvc) sleeve adapter so that the throat of the carb can fit onto the stock intake tube (they used to anyway, not sure if they still have this sleeve) is that what you're talking about?
you really need to give the part you are talking about a correct name, or at least post pictures so we can see what you're talking about.

Last edited:
The slide is aluminum, or some alloy of pot metal and aluminum.

What I'm worried about is why is the intake getting hot enough to melt! Mine doesn't get hot after running for 60 minutes, so something is going on there. I'd honestly worry that if it's melting plastic, it's heating that float bowl - which is pretty scary stuff.

heating a float bowl hot enough will do nothing but make the gas boil over and out the vent. if the bowl gets hot enough it could also cause vapor lock which will make the engine not run.
gasoline will not ignite from heat alone, it needs a spark or a flame.

Plastic

Here is what I have and don't have any more, can someone help?

Attachments

• PIC_0001.JPG
    PIC_0001.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 128
  • PIC_0003.JPG
    PIC_0003.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 120
ok, that's the plastic ring adapter so that the carb will fit onto the intake manifold.
I suspect that the plastic ring was leaking air, making the engine run lean and build a lot of heat. it would take a lot of heat to melt that plastic ring!!
you can replace the ring with a peice of pvc pipe of the same diameter, available at any hardware store.
BUT...i also see that your rubber seal is in pretty bad shape as well. That seal goes into the carb before the plastic ring goes in to help seal the connection between the carb and the intake tube.
my guess is a lean condition caused by an air leak around that plastic ring.
I personally do not like the plastic ring adapter at all because they are known to leak or cause the carb to vibrate loose and fall off.
I have no idea what to tell you, but the easiest fix would be to just buy a new n.t. carb (about $12.00) and replace the entire carb. I personally don't like the way those cns style carbs mount to the intake tube.

Back