Hot Motor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by 1flyingfool, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 1flyingfool

1flyingfool New Member

Hi,I'm new here,I live in the Nwest,been playing with these little motors for about two yrs. I seem to have run in to a problem,The little plastic part that fits in the carb is melting? does any one have a soloution?

2. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

what little plastic part are you talking about?

3. 1flyingfool

1flyingfool New Member

It's the part that fits in the carb and has a rubber seal, The motor is a Skyhawk, from Kings Bike

4. is it a cns carb? i dont have one of them , so i couldnt really tell ya. but you might be able to block heat from something with a really thin heat resistant tape made by 3m. its silver metallic heat tape. and that might keep something from getting to hot... you might be able to rap it around the intake tube. then it would block some heat from the carb...

5. motorpsycho

I have no idea what you're talking about without a proper name for the part.
    INSIDE the carb, you have the float which is a round peice of plastic in the n.t. carbs and a slightly different material in the cns carb. it's a black solid material like plastic, but it isn't plastic.
    the slide appears to be plastic, but i'm unsure if it's actually plastic or aluminum.
    those are the only plastic -like parts inside of a carb. that i can think of.
    if your float is melting, your engine would not run because it would sink and cause the carb to flood over.
    if your slide is melting, then you would have no throttle because it would become distorted in the throttle bore.
    if you are melting carb parts, you have major issues.....is it running too lean?
    a lean running engine will build a ton of heat.
    the n.t. carbs have a plastic (pvc) sleeve adapter so that the throat of the carb can fit onto the stock intake tube (they used to anyway, not sure if they still have this sleeve) is that what you're talking about?
    you really need to give the part you are talking about a correct name, or at least post pictures so we can see what you're talking about.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  6. fm2200

fm2200 Member

Maybe you riding the bike like it's a motorcross thing. Do you have it geared low or it could be the weight of the rider?

7. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

The slide is aluminum, or some alloy of pot metal and aluminum.

What I'm worried about is why is the intake getting hot enough to melt! Mine doesn't get hot after running for 60 minutes, so something is going on there. I'd honestly worry that if it's melting plastic, it's heating that float bowl - which is pretty scary stuff.

8. motorpsycho

heating a float bowl hot enough will do nothing but make the gas boil over and out the vent. if the bowl gets hot enough it could also cause vapor lock which will make the engine not run.
    gasoline will not ignite from heat alone, it needs a spark or a flame.

9. 1flyingfool

1flyingfool New Member

Plastic

Here is what I have and don't have any more, can someone help?

Attached Files:

10. motorpsycho

ok, that's the plastic ring adapter so that the carb will fit onto the intake manifold.
    I suspect that the plastic ring was leaking air, making the engine run lean and build a lot of heat. it would take a lot of heat to melt that plastic ring!!
    you can replace the ring with a peice of pvc pipe of the same diameter, available at any hardware store.
    BUT...i also see that your rubber seal is in pretty bad shape as well. That seal goes into the carb before the plastic ring goes in to help seal the connection between the carb and the intake tube.
    my guess is a lean condition caused by an air leak around that plastic ring.
    I personally do not like the plastic ring adapter at all because they are known to leak or cause the carb to vibrate loose and fall off.
    I have no idea what to tell you, but the easiest fix would be to just buy a new n.t. carb (about $12.00) and replace the entire carb. I personally don't like the way those cns style carbs mount to the intake tube.

11. 1flyingfool

1flyingfool New Member

Plastic

I'm done,I ordered a part that replaces that with a solid piece of meatel and an O ring. Thanks to all that replied,I only hope I could be as much help as you all. See you out there, Thank you

12. Rhino A

Rhino A New Member

Hey man, I have a CNS carb too with that same plastic piece, it is known to cause air leaks big time mating with the intake manifold, void this if you've already fixed the problem but a CNS intake is actually manufactured to fit the CNS carb air tight I think it runs 20$ and will be a better intake than the stock one. Just a thought- I plan to get one soon myself.
    Best,
    Ryan

13. 1flyingfool

1flyingfool New Member

Well I got the part and it still needs the plastic,I also got a extended manifold,at least that puts the carb away from the head. I still want to do away with that piece of plastic

14. hey for that piece of plastic i use a 1/2 heater hose form the auto part store it holds nice and it take some heat

15. 1flyingfool

1flyingfool New Member

I was also told to use a piece of PVC,I looked at every piece that Home depo had,NO luck,I will look at the 1/2 heater hose.

16. hey and i think you have a air leak but it cuold be your white pc leaking

17. Rhino A

Rhino A New Member

You can also use some sealant when all is said and done to ensure an air tight fit, I used Epoxy but most don't recommend it and suggest some RTV? I believe its called. The Epoxy worked for me but I'm not running that hot in there, I'd research a nice heat resistant sealant

18. (sealant) red rtv is good up to 500f i use it all the time

19. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

These engines overheat due to the ignition timing being too advanced. Click onto my signature to read more on this subject and how to fix it.