HoughMade 71- done for now?

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by HoughMade, Sep 13, 2008.

1. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Higher resolution pics coming, but these will get the point across....I'm tired, but not tired in the bike.

Wanted to have a better background (a sunny Indiana corn field), but its pretty rainy here. That also means I ain't taking for its first ride fully completed- some day I'll ride in the wet- but not the first ride!

I welcome questions about what I did and how.

Attached Files:

2. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Few more pics

Few more pics

Attached Files:

3. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

Very, very nice. It would be a shame to get it all muddy.

Is the front fork leaf spring a functional spring?

I'm waiting out the rain till I can ride my new build too, in South Haven, MI.
  4. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

positively AWESOME.

wish i had time for builds of this type.

we got to get together sometime........

5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

The leaves are ornamental- non functional. The front fork is actually a standard Schwinn style springer.
  6. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

Absolutely awsome! You are my hero.
    I am in the planning stages of something like this. A stumbling block for me was that I wanted an exposed engine and the only thing coming up was a HT kit. Well sir, you just shot that theory in the tucas. Now I can see what the 4 stroke kit will look like and me likes!
    Too many questions though. For one, I want either a fuel tank like yours or a round type under the seat. How did you make yours? I'm thinking about talking to a welder or is yours F'glass? Also, what is that 'keg pump' looking affair with the copper tubing? Functional? Show? Whatever, it looks neat! Headlight is a plus too. Battery operated? Oil? Again, who cares...looks great.
    Any plans for adding chain guards?
    I've got my daily commuter; now I want to start my project even more.
    Oh! Where do you get a kickstand like that?
    KUDOS! Job well done!
  7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Under a fiberglass cover I made (never did that before and would do it differently if I did it again)- there is a standard 1/2 gallon fuel tank. However, the cover is permanently bonded on with polyurethane adhesive and foam.

I am thinking of fabricating a tank out of sheetmetal in the future. This project has done wonders for many of my DIY skills, why not more sheetmetal skills? I like the under seat keg idea on the right bike. The "keg pump" is meant to sort of mimic the look of an oil pump from an early motorcycle with a "total loss" oiling system. In my case, it is a tire pump just mounted in a funky manner.

I have no intention of riding at night. The headlight "works" but is no brighter than a flashlight. It is fashioned from an old railroad battery-operated lantern. The speedometer is housed in the headlight.

I will not have any chainguards. The earliest of cycles did not have them. I got the kickstand from bikepartsusa.com, but they are available many places.

Thanks for you kind words.
  8. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Oh, and by the way- I counted 41 acorn nuts...my son was curious how many I used.
  9. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

very cool looking MB
    gazing at your pictures there -- lost for a moment
    sweet -- I like that MB -thoughts-

Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  10. h0tr0d

h0tr0d Member

Very cool. The attention to detail is stunning! You even striped the muffler.

Sounds like you are already planing your next build. Keep raising the bar (thats not just a cheesy lawyer joke).
  11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Man that's pretty. It should be an attention getter.
  12. terrence

terrence Member

I always appreciate ones labor of love. I bet you have to wander out every now and then just to stare at it....yes? :grin:
  13. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

14. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

we want vids!!! [bangs fists on table] really nice bike!
  15. beast775

beast775 Guest

fantastic aesthetics

i was really looking at this one,nice lines,i thought you made the rear stand,after i looked at it i thought why didnt i think of that .ha:grin:the time youve spent shows.
  16. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Very nice work Houghmade....

Nice details on the bike!
  17. Simply astonishing.

If we were still doing bike of the month,this would win.

Thank you for the pleasure of seeing your ride!!
  18. Pugdaddy

Pugdaddy New Member

Very nice, Hough. Looks like the weather is going to be good enough to ride it to the office this week.
    By the way. I was in Valpo today. Stuck on U.S. 30 with all those darn semi's. I was coming home from Michigan City. Usually a 50 minute drive from St. John. Took me an hour and a half. I won't do that again untill 80-94 is opened back up.
    Let us know when your going to ride this beauty to work. Maybe I'll swing by and get a gander at it if I happen to be off that day (if that's o.k. with you).
    I'd love to see it.
  19. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Thanks all, for the kind words.

It has been a blast building this thing. Many ideas came from the members here.

Pug, looks like I will not be riding it to work Saturday, but I will let you know when I do-

Tater- I will get a vid at some point.
  20. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

So you used a Grubee Skyhawk transmission with a Honda 50 motor, right? What did you have to do to fit them together? Did you have to do anything to the shaft? Did you get a Honda 50 with a clutch or did the clutch come with the transmission? Did the transmission housing bolt on to the motor?