HoughMade Oddities

Well, at long last, I think I have all the parts mocked up- hopefully some things you may not have seen before are incuded. Here are pics of a few details- all designed to create the impression of a motorcycle from the teens.

First, the non-functional leaf springs, front and rear- non-functional as springs at least. They are my fenders and due to their construction, are not susceptible to breaking like standard fenders are. Also, I fabbed a bracket for the tail light:

Attachments

• JLH pics 061.JPG
    JLH pics 061.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,203
  • JLH pics 059.JPG
    JLH pics 059.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,157
Rustoleum has a paint especially for plastic in the "hammered" finish- saw three different "metallic" finishes- aluminum, charcoal and bronze. I got it at Menards (happened to see it there when my son and I were getting stuff for his 4H project), but I am sure it's available anywhere that sells Rustoleum.

Seems to adhere to the plastic very well- I wiped it down thoroughly with lacquer thinner before paint.

Here is the pull start. It's hard to see in these pictures, but the starter has been painted with a charcoal gray "hammered" finish that looks pretty good- and very much like metal.

what are you goin to clear that with ? i have done with just straight paint then i had to clear everything the straight paint failed ..but now i can even drip gas on the tank no worries

I'm also thinking of using a vintage engine decal on the main cover- maybe the 1 3/4 horsepower decal on this page:

http://www.bser.com/images/decal4.jpg

Sure the engine makes a bit more, but that looks absolutely vintage...and no need to advertise more tha 2hp.

I should be asking you that- what did you use?

heres what i used the high gloss u most likely would use a different sheen (finish) very easy to spray and easy to make ropes lol take yer time i used about 8 coats took about 8 mins. letting it set for about 1 min in between coats but please note that once yer parts are all done and cleared u cant ever put anymore paint on cas it will fail ohhh u can sand poly when its dry fully looks like heck :eek:then spray over it ..for small dust lint or ropes

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(2...oductdetails.aspx?sku=18140&source=GoogleBase

here is my tank
https://motoredbikes.com/media/new-repaint.35943/

So I can let the polyurethane cure, then wet sand and buff it?

dont sand it
only if you see a imperfections that you are not happy with ..other wise it can take coats about once a min .. and i started about 2 inchs. out then sneak up on my work then ended 2 inchs. after ohh and i did the bottom first then sides front and back ...this was a place i had a put to much down (easy there ) and hung it up less coast on the bottom i think older polly u would have to sand down this is not needed with this stuff ... you will love this stuff spays and lays down wonderfully .about a 12 inch fan pattern lovely feels like a spay gun ....once you are done dont paint and more not even touch ups is the draw backs my next job iam goin to try the waterbourn poly not to sure how that will hold up with gas tho we see my tank iam very pleased with ....i cant wait to see pics of your work

ps i tried to take that honda sticker off and it cant be done as its made not to peel off i just masked over it ..i realy didnt want it but it says 49 cc on it if a cop would want to know i could show him it was 49 cc

few pic with parts hung up with a $1 dollar shower curtain upin back so i could spray standing up with a mask on ..with lots room and the other pic with honda label done
washed everything with soap and water to take all oils away off parts
and i used the expensive primmer few coats of that to hide stuff and

sorry iam goin on and on likes its the last day on earth

Attachments

• 05072008(001).jpg
    05072008(001).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 05072008(004).jpg
    05072008(004).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 248
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back