How about a 49cc Lifan 4 stroke to clear the air?

WhizBangAndy

Local time
4:48 PM
I see the argument for our beloved 2 stroke HT's but if green is our ultimate goal then lets consider a catalyzed 49 or 70cc Lifan engine. It would probably be easier to get tagged as a special construction motorcycle and sidestep all the legal mumbo jumbo for mopeds. The engines are completely reliable and have been used in Asia for almost 50 years. A little re jetting and a catalyzed exhaust and we have a 50 MPH /100 MPG motor-bicycle that is clean running and still a really inexpensive way to get about. It would also take off our restrictions for speed and allow us to run headlights, turnsignals and a HORN for the cagers that are too busy texting to pay attention.. IMHO:giggle:

Ya, I don't know why more people don't attempt to use the Lifan-honda clone motors in mopeds. I've been riding a Motoped for a year now that uses a Lifan 4-stroke motor, I like it way better than any 2-stroke. Check out motopeds dot com. A catalyzed exhaust does sound like a good idea though.

With a Lifan Honda clone, what you've basically got is a motorcycle. Even the 50cc models have multiple speed gearboxes which qualify them as a motorcycle in most states. You can purchase a fully assembled, EPA/DOT approved, DMV registerable and insurable scooter or motorcycle with these engines for roughly $1,200 bucks brand new.

You can throw one of the Lifan 140cc variants in an old Honda Trail 70 or Passport 70 scooter and have some street legal 60 mph - 100 mpg fun.

I wouldn't put a catayst on the exhaust purposely, as these little engines burn fairly cleanly out of the box. The fuel sipping nature of a small MC or motorized pedal bike satisfies the "green" requirement in my book.

Now thats a COOL Bike!

Even if I had to get lights n signals on that and tag it as a Motorcycle that is the way to go! Thanks for the link and happy surfing!

I agree with your point completely Ghost..

But in New Germany (Jersey) where you cant ride our lil smoksters without possible incurring of a fistful of tickets this may be the only way to get our lil motor on. And it would be a fully usable scoot for around town riding while being completely different. At 50cc's this would be the least expensive MC to insure and run , im thinking pretty much in line with a Mopeds cost IMHO..

I beat my head against NJ DMV's walls when I was the WD for Grubee in NJ back in the day to get these legalized. I am done with that and will keep my last roundhead 49cc kit for if/when I escape this state and can use it without fear of ticketing..

IF YOU CANT BEAT EM.. CHANGE THE PLAYING FIELD...LOL:helmet:

Been there. Done that. Internal CVT means I don't shift (it does) so perhaps a grey area... http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7524&highlight=Trike

Alaskavan, you sure that Lifan has a CVT? It appears to be a 3 or 4 speed semi-automatic (clutchless) engine. With these engines, there is no clutch lever. You just let up on the gas and shift, then get back on it.

When you said you had a Lifan with an internal CVT, I was expecting to see an engine like this scooter engine. Notice how long the scooter engine is because of the CVT belt. And $199.00 is a great price. I think I just gave myself an idea.........

After looking around last night there is a 49cc Lifan "single speed" engine. Im guessing its like a CVT or similar inside but cant get any info on it otherwise.

I've seen them with reverse for ATV's, and no gears (primarily for youth ATV's) but to my knowledge there are no Honda style horizontal engines with an internal CVT. But hey, I'm probably wrong. The Chinese manufacturers have changed and adapted these designs over the years to fit various applications.

My engine was designed for a small ATV, has no shifting mechanism, and I don't feel any "shift points" while riding. There is something going on in there, because in a highly tuned version, I could easily take off without pedaling, and I believe the top speed would have been about 70 - 75mph. I never took it to it's top speed before I detuned it (I was afraid that some time, after some adult beverages, I might try it. Also, I was dissatisfied with the approx. 100 mpg I was getting.) In detuned form, last week I rode a little over 132 miles averaging 40 mph on .6 gallon of gas.

Back