How about this old one ??

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by Esteban, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

2. DougC

DougC Guest

"This is a private auction. Sign in to view your status or learn more about private listings."

Could you maybe take a screen-shot and link to that somewhere? The rest of us don't want to have to register an account on eBay.UK just to see it.

(I have an account on [USA] and apparently that doesn't qualify)
  3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Hmmmm. The link opens up to the auction, that has ended, & I can scroll down & see the pix of it.
  4. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Here is a copied pix of it. Berini " Egg " motor .

Attached Files:

5. DougC

DougC Guest

It would not show me at all....
    Now it says auction is ended, but still says "private auction".

I do see the pic you posted.
    I have to admit, I don't like the way these setups look, but they do make a lot of sense from a technical standpoint. I tend to think that the "ideal" gas-engine bicycle motor kit--that is,,, the one that would fit on the most bicycles with the least hassles--would be one that uses a front-mount engine like this, on a special pair of wide forks, that a rear wheel could be fitted to. They could drive the front 'rear' wheel on the right-hand side, using a single-speed freewheel hub, and the engine wouldn't cause any drag on normal pedaling of the bicycle.
  6. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Motorized bikes have been around in Europe for many years. Mainly as a form of economical transportation after WWII . There are many variations & many of the older ones are as good as what we are buying, today. A Rex Hilfsmotor [ German for help-motor ] is something like what you are describing. Plenty of other bikes linked on the right side of this page. Here is a pix;
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  7. luke

luke Guest

it didn't sell reserve to high.i am glad as i sold one on a purpose built bike but needing restoration for a lot less.
  8. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

that is a neat motor and the setup can't be any simpler.

But beware of one thing; front wheel drive on a bicycle takes some getting used to.

Still, it can be done.
  9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

The Rex reminds me of a GEBE, except for front wheel drive.