How about twin engines?

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Aug 18, 2007.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:just wondering if any member has twin engines on their bikes, such as V-2, inlines, even front and rear rack mounts?

2. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Twin engines were a real pain in motorcycling. One ends up pulling the other or they develop sympathetic vibrations as they run in and out of sync.

3. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

grrr!!! i wanted to make the first dueling engines, and i thought about front anbd rear mount! too bad i cant do it...not old enough to get a job...im over these chinese pieces of junk. im goin 4 stroke honda. no problems there!!!

jon

4. Heh heh heh...A man after my own heart....I was thinking the same thing...Side by side driving a jack shaft that ultimately drives the rear sprocket...Of course the pedals may have to go bye bye in such a conversion unless somehow the frame is lengthened.....How about 2 engines...One driving the rear wheel and one driving the front wheel....2 wheel drive!!! Oh yeah!
    Andrew

5. How about two pocket bike engines arranged front to back, each motor keyed/timed to a common center gear that has a clutch that then outputs to a jackshaft.
    So two 8+ HP 2-stroke pocket bike engines (W/boost bottles) and a small gear on each crankshaft timed to fire 180 degree's apart (every stroke) and driving a large center gear that has a clutch with either a chain or gear driven jackshaft.

LOL it would probably self destruct.

6. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

If you gotta take the pedals off, you might as well go buy a big scooter or even a V-twin Hardley Davidson.
    I like the thinking out side the box though.

7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Completely do-able with minimal welding!

:cool:how about two 80cc chinese engines, side by side on a mounting plate, midframe like the single engine. both engines share the same chain-driven jackshaft, which then drives the rear sprocket. none of the sprockets are free-wheeling. chain adjustment to the engines' sprockets made by slotted engine mounting holes. chain adjustment to rear sprocket via axle adjustment in rear dropout. both engines are individually or simultaneously kick-started,then controlled by their own clutch and throttle levers.

actually this idea is not too far-fetched or involve expensive exotic parts and extensive labor. welding should cost less than $100. since two engines measure 9.25" wide, side-by-side, start with a 12" square steel plate, one jackshaft w/3 sprockets, 2 short lengths of #35 chain, t-fitting on the gas petcock, extra clutch and throttle levers and the rest of the single chinese engine kit.

as an added bonus, gear ratios are easily changed at the jackshaft. the rear sprocket remains untouched.

if one engine fails or ya wanna run just one engine, just disengage the clutch and pin the lever.

what i would need is an old cruiser with lots of room in the midframe to clear the crankset.

and i JUST happened to have two new chinese engine kits in my cabinet.:cool:

Myron

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2007
  8. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

How about this custom? Now this is NOT mine, but belongs to an acquaintance.
    It has some those problems, and isn't very fast, but the point was in the building of it, not the ultimate top speed.
    It uses two Whizzer cylinders, the rest is custom fabricated. There are 9 seperate pieces that make up the crankcase...
    It runs fairly well.
    There's also the now known, 'Double Whiz' with two whizzers mounted in tandem with a flex coupler from a Cushman truckster, and run through an Albion three speed... Also not my bike, but a friend's bike

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2007
  9. azbill

azbill Active Member

that v-twin motoredbike is suhweeet !
    :cool::cool::cool:

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:i thought about searching for an engine coupler, but that'd make a twin-engine project more complicated/expensive/frustrating for me.

in my case, it'd be "form before function". the second engine need not run; just being in the frame looking good is its primary goal.

and methinks it WILL run. maybe not run well, but baby, all i need to do is start both engines, crack open both throttles...and idle.:shock:

awesome!

Myron

11. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

The 'Double whiz' runs, and runs well... She's loud. fast. and kicks ###(backside)!!!

12. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Why not hook one engine for firstgear and the other for second gear with a double sprocket on the rear? one sprocket 44 teeth and the other 22 teeth. then the tricky part is disengaging one and engaging the other. I suspect around 50 MPH.

13. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Now you guys are going to make me let the cat out of the bag now arent you,
    I've with the help of my friends in Canada have been working on this for some time now, a hibyrd motoredtrike, the trike will be quad-powered, human,solor,gas and electric.
    I shoting for somthing in the range of 350 mpg with a top speed of around 40mph with a load range of 750 lbs

Attached Files:

• mod1.jpg
      mod1.jpg
      File size:
      81.9 KB
      Views:
  14. a200txg

a200txg Guest

Twin but separate engines

:grin: I do have on my agenda , two separate engines for my bike,
    Rear Wheel - Chinese 80 cc
    Front Wheel - Heinsmann 36V :grin:

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:okay, i'll consider tossing my electric hub into the mix.:shock:

16. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

You guys are awesome...

17. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

here's a peek at the new updated frame

Attached Files:

18. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

This frame looks alot more stable than the first. The solar panels are going to costly sren't they Loco?

19. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

I thinking along the lines of about 9 grand,when its complete but I'm working on it to be a human powered RV so is my friends in Canada but I dont think he is going solor with his

20. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:beautiful work, loco!

the amount of time/money/effort you have in your project inspires me to start my new dual engine/three engine bike project!