how can you tell when i'm really ripped?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gone_fishin, Dec 27, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

when i don't name names.

-you said we were on the same page...i came in today to find 3 duplicate postings of the same new video!!! 2 of them completely off-topic!!! your schtuff is really cool, but you have to quit treating our forum like a myspace...

-as usual, it didn't take long for a neat topic to go astray. until you're wearing an MBc-shirt, your pic doesn't belong in there, & you know it. hijacking and sidetalk is plain rude, marring an "official" mbc-thread makes me wanna override the censoring so i can tell you how i really feel about it. it's clear you have NO FARGEN IDEA how hard we've worked to get to t-shirt level, or how much it means to us.

to be continued...

2. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I think you are taking this whole forum and your role as an admin a little bit too far. Take a chill pill and relax and go with the flow. I appreciate your work but your inflexibility with newbies, gestapo like welcoming of newbies who don't introduce themselves is a real turnoff to many of us.
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

this is a rant topic, so i'm not looking for appreciation, tho i appreciate it...if i don't start venting this stuff i'm gonna implode & withdraw. this forum isn't an experimental playground for honing newb-skills, you have to learn enough to get started before you get started. 3 dupe posts means i have to go into moddy-mode and spend the first 1/2 hour of my morning coffee chasing 'em all down, editing, deleting, moving. by the time i'm done, the offender has wasted more of my time than he/she would have spent reading the basic faq. now that is what a real turnoff looks like: one person unnecessarily making another person work harder.

"gestapo" have no idea who i really am...why is it a bad thing to "make" someone introduce themselves to a new group of people? what happens in a real-life clubhouse if you try to elbow your way past the doorman?

"go with the flow"...are you kidding me?! i know exactly where the flow will go without firm structure. i've been using forums for almost 2 decades. i'm not being melodramatic about this, purely can spiral downhill in a flash. maintaining forum quality means maintaining a quality membership. notice how once you make it past me at the door and we're on the same page, you hardly ever see me again? how many hundreds of effective trouble-free topics are going on right now that i've never posted in? you think it might have something to do with making ourselves clear before we cut you loose on the board?

i don't want people to join unless they care enough to do their part. our traffic statistics show we don't need people to join unless they care enough to pitch in. the place is entirely lurker-friendly on purpose & stays lurker-busy day and night. we want to promote the movement and help new riders find their way, that becomes more difficult to do as the content gets more shuffled. the people who take the time to post these marvelous presentations deserve our respect and support, and will get it, even it if it means a hit to my personal popularity.

i set a goal, made myself clear, am sticking to my guns. i want this place to be effective 10 years from now, and know what it's gonna take.
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

Logging on to MBc is voluntary, as is joining. You have rules for a reason and if one is offended by them, go somewhere else. I've been a member of a forum that went to he!! because no one enforced the rules, not pretty. Keep rid'n herd, you're do'n good.
  5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest have to click "I Agree" before you can get in.
  6. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Look at it like this,Read and follow the rules, In lue of paying a membership fee, these are your dues for membership.
  7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Since joining this forum i've been following a number of threads....most of the time everything is ok,people follow the rules(as much as their aware) and try to learn and help.
    Sometimes though u get REAL idiots that are deliberately out for a fight or just to offend as much as possible...they never read rules and don't care anyway.You know the type,socially challenged people with a Hitler complex.
    Admin do a fine job here and most of the time it's a thankless job.
    I'm amazed by their tolerance....their more tolerant than me and i concider myself pretty easy going.
    Keep up the good work Admin and TRY not to let it get to you....your going to be on this planet for another 60 years. :smile:
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

it's been said before...
    if you don't like our rules/structure,
    go build your own garage to play in

the people who appreciate what we do around here, far outnumber the people who don't :D

somebody said in their intro not too long ago
    'the signal to noise ratio around here is good'
    why do you think that is ???
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  9. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Well you've all said it better than I possibly could. I've said this before an' I'll say it again:
    I DARE you to come to the Piston Psychos clubhouse and act like this, first you wouldn't get past the door, but IF you did, you'd be getting yer
    @ $ $ beat as you were getting kicked back out.
    Loco- That's a great point! I had not looked at it from that point of view; that is EXACTLY what it is.
    You don't like the way we play? Build yer own garage and go play there...
  10. Jim H

Jim H Guest

I hope you all got the message clear; if you don't like our rules then withdraw your membership and quit messing up the house!
  11. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

ya! what they said!
  12. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

As a newer member to this forum I agree with the rules and when I see someone post something in a wrong place I reply to them with the correct area to post too. And when some new comes to the forum with limited experience I suggest they read and use the search. I believe as a member I am also responsible for helping to keep the "house" clean. I really love the camaraderie here.
  13. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Loco is right, this place is a privilege not a pay toilet. Ya can't come in here leaving your carp and expecting the cleaning crew(Adm. & Mods) to wipe up after you. If you do get yelled at then 9 times outa 10 you are wrong but just think about the other side of the coin as Augie stated quite clearly, take it as a learning tool and move on. We can all use reproofing sometimes.
  14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I've checked out a few forums that seem to be about flaming. This one is about MotoredBikes. I am glad that Augie and the Mod's control things here. Augie: Managing chaos can be a tough job, but the edges of chaos are where some of the most interesting ideas are spawned. Regardless of your stress during the day, I hope you can be satisfied at the end of the day that some good ideas got stirred around.
  15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

heck yeah, i love this place like there's no tomorrow, but i run it like there's a giant build-fest and it blows my mind daily, & sometimes almost hourly.

hey y'all, thanks for the support. i think i'll use this thread to make those "special" announcements from now on, it worked for me :)
  16. kenspice

kenspice Guest

Augie, why not make a DEAD POST OFFICE catagory? If a member makes a post that is not up to snuff just move it to the DPO. If they want it back on the forum, let them go back to the rules and figure out what they did wrong, correct it and repost it. That procedure would allow them to either waste their own time or go on their way without bothering you or the rest of us. If the moved post is worth correcting then it is worthy of being on this forum otherwise BYE BYE. Be sure to make the DPO a NO REPLY catagory. Is this possible?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2007
  17. AAA

AAA Guest

Motoredbikes newb here

I agree w/ Kenspice, if a post is off topic, a duplicate or obvious spam the admins can move it to the "dead post office", I've also seen it called the "recycle bin". The advantage is that the admins don't waste a lot of time managing content. If it does not belong, it just gets moved.
  18. smitty

smitty Guest

Augi - you plan to do this for another ten years?!?! Man you must be a saint! I, for (another) one, really appreciate (and really can't imagine) all that you guys do to keep this place up and running. I only put up with comments from my wifey and kids to hang around here.
  19. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

wishful thinking on my part, smitty :)

the dead-letter thingy: good suggestion, but i think it won't work.

we used to just delete or move or edit without saying anything (the rules warn you this could happen)...but you know what would happen then?

we'd get another new topic: "what happened to my post!?" ...and they'd keep trying until we shut 'em down publicly. we have a forums operations and help forum, plus anyone who's taken the time to learn a bit about forum-usage knows to PM-contact the moderator for the forum in question, but....

so now we say something right then right there, it was even more work the other way.
  20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

someone is RIPPING OFF MBc!!!

this is gonna get a new-topic if necessary.

there is a new forum about motoredbiking out there.

it was created last month & is run by an active member of our board.

there has been active PM-recruitment for membership thru our facility. anyone who's been involved in that will eventually be "caught" and sent packing.

the site in question is a blatant ripoff of my/our creative work almost-identical copy of MBc...and that is some serious sh*t that will NOT go unanswered!!!

this is not about a new is about being ripped off. there's really no other way except to declare my intention to force a reconstruction of the site as it exists now.

this is vague for now..."someone" had best PM me real quick, or we will do this our way....i'm good, but Tom is even better!