How do I keep thumbnails viewable?

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Motorbike Wanabe, Jan 14, 2010.

1. I always have the script listed at the bottom of ANY posts on this forum. I'd always felt that this was just the way it's done. Then, for some reason, my automatic sign in got washed away so that when I came back to this forum, I needed to sign in again. But, before I did that, I noted that I could see thumbnails for all the attached images on the posts. when I signed in again, they all went back to text, the thumbnails were gone!

This led me to believe that there's an option to "view thumbnails" or something like that and mine must have been de-clicked (if that's even a word). How do I reset it so that I can again, "view thumbnails" under my own identity?

thanks for any help.

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Where are these thumbnails you speak of?

3. I speak of a thumbnail far away....!!!!

Sorry just had to do that. Feelin a little punchy tonight.

The "thumbnail" in question would be at the bottom of any post where someone has uploaded an image in their post. I'll include one in this post as well for reference. When I was signed in as a guest, the uploaded image would show as a small thumbnail in the post but, now that I'm signed in, it shows up as text (no image) and I have to click on it to see what it is. I just thought it was weird that as a guest I could see it but, when signed in, I couldn't.

Attached Files:

4. I just checked it and again, when I sign out, I see the image as a thumbnail but, when I sign in, it's only text with the little gif (symbol for a jpg image I guess) along with "Finished6.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)".

I know enough to be dangerous with these computers but, I've been thinking that there must be a setting somewhere to determine if I want to see the images? No?

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

dangerous, eh?

ok, try this.....

on the top menu (left side), click UserCP

then, on the left side, go down to Settings & Options...

then click on Edit Options.

from there, scroll down to Thread Display Options

check the box that reads: Show Images (including attached images and images in code)[/B]

then scroll to the bottom of the page and click [B]Save Changes[/B]

This ought to fix your problem. :grin5:

6. Fixed like a $2 dog!

That is EXACTLY what I've been looking for! Thanks!

7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Wow, I didn't even know you could do that!!! Good eye, Dave!

8. augidog

augidog Banned

my forum-reader opinion/RANT

dog-DANG it, i wish y'all would take advantage of MBc image hosting & clickable thumbnails...it opens the image in a new window, & lets me switch between viewing the image & reading the text without scrolling all over the place. you blow up my screen, i close the page and move on...and then we both miss out.

end of rant.

now, a calm explaination: Tom's always had the right idea about providing file-hosting as the best way to protect the info. please use MBc uploading, it rocks. when posting go advanced, and click the paperclip. when you're done, you can do nothing & the thumbs will be auto-arranged at the bottom of your post. OR you can "manage attachments" and place clickable thumbs anywhere in your text you'd like. if you the author would give me the reader this courtesy, i'd be able to use a new window for your full-size image (i love hi-res pics of this stuff) without trying to scroll back and forth to read whatever it is you're trying to tell or ask me.

Tom...dunno if it's possible, but a CP-mod allowing me to filter IMG tags without losing the hosted thumbs would be too cool & problem solved :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  9. Tom

Tom Active Member

What do you mean by that exactly??

10. augidog

augidog Banned

hi Tom :)

in my "UserCP" i have the option to view or not-view images...unfortunately, if i un-click the box to avoid large images, i also give up viewing the clickable thumbnails that the local software produces.

i want to be able to turn off viewing "IMG" tags, but i want to be able to keep viewing the thumbs that the local hosting generates.

right now, i either have both or none...can we seperate the two options?

11. Tom

Tom Active Member

There isn't any "mod" I can find that would do that, and trying to code it in myself seems like it would be way out of my league.

If you find another forum that does it, let me know about it and I'll see if I can contact them and see what mod they are using.

12. augidog

augidog Banned

thanks for looking...i knew you'd try :)

i know you finally decided to allow IMG tags, but i never thought it was a very good idea considering you've always provided really nice hosting right here. the clickable thumbs make for neat format. it's only my readers' opinion tho...not a complaint...i'll just keep closing thread-views that wander all over my screen as too much hassle to read.

anyways...hey, i got it...how about you add "[​IMG]

13. loquin

loquin Active Member

The other important issue with image tags is that it causes content on this site to depend on the image hosting site, as well as the possibility of the original poster accidentally (or purposefully) renaming or deleting an image at the other site.... Maybe, in a couple of months, the OP forgets that an image is referenced from this site...

First, if the other site goes down, or the image is no longer available for whatever reason (and a LOT of the free sites limit the time that an image can sit there,) or the poster ends up removing the image after some time, WE can't see it. As a result, we have a lot of posts that are now incomplete. OUR content suffers.

As far as the [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  14. augidog

augidog Banned

i think most folks don't realize you can also paste a photos' URL into the "manage attachments" page (i believe even new members are allowed to do that?), and once it's on MBc, it's safe :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Hoping the horse ain't dead