How do i mod this type of pipe baffle?.

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Mark, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

It has 2 round metal Disk on both ends one going into the engine and one coming out. and in the middle connecting them is has a thin tube thats dented in the middle and is full of holes.

Soo i gess like this -0==0

Not the acuel pipe but some pics of the same type of pipe i have. IMO found them on this site.

thank you :cool:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008

2. will_start

will_start Member

I have a question ?
    why is there a gun in each pic ?

where does that part go ?

3. kerf

kerf Guest

I can't believe you would ask such a question. The man is obviously dealing with a very dangerous baffle with some serious attitude. In my younger days I've done similar things with only a whip and a chair for protection but now I'm older and wiser. Anytime I take my muffler apart, I want serious firepower.
  4. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

I guess that here in Canada we have a gentle mufflers! Who would have thought! This was a joke right?
  5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Mark, you didn't say what you wish to accomplish with your mods. Are you looking for quiet, or power?
    I just keep a big hammer handy when I'm working on stuff. If the project goes badly I may not want to kill it, just beat it into submission.
  6. Mark

Mark New Member

Sorry Sorry i didn't even know there were other mods.

I want Power :grin:. Is there any way to achieve that by cutting/drilling the baffle?.

The gun No clue. Maybe a toy perhaps?
  7. If you shoot it then it will have more holes to make your engine breath easier!

DAX has the plan on his website but this is an older muffler. I bet taking that middle pipe out will do the same as far as easier breathing. It will get a bit louder though.
  8. Mark

Mark New Member

im not to sure what you mean but its alright.

I dont have a (photo camera) so im gonna take a video of it. Here you go :smile:

Hope this helps you and me :rolleyes:

Soooo do you think i cant do anything with this weird baffle?. :p

9. kerf

kerf Guest

Doesn't look all that weird. Can you straighten out the crimp in the middle so you are left with a straight through pipe. You could then wrap it with fiberglass and reinstall it into the expansion chamber, giving you a straight through glass pack.
  10. Mark

Mark New Member

I tried to straighten it out but its no use. Tried pliers and a hammer it wont budge. The metal is super hard.

Any other suggestions? thanks :cool:

Btw i dont have any fiber glass
  11. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Get one of those ten buck torch kits and lay it down in a way that the flame points at the part you want to get hot. This way you don't have to stand there holding the thing for the five minutes or so that it may take to get it red hot. After that I'd bet that a large pair of vise grips would round the pipe out for you. Or as some would say,when hot,use a hammer!
  12. Mark

Mark New Member

Alright ile try that. One question. Would cutting the pipe in half make it run faster? because that would be easier. Like 2-4 inch's completely taking off the crimp and the second disk.

EDIT: what will rapping it with fiberglass do?. Thanks
  13. kerf

kerf Guest

If it's not spot welded in the crimp, heat it cherry red and work on it from the inside with a tapered steel rod with as close to the tube ID as possible. Un-backed fiberglass pipe insulation from the hardware store would work.

Make sure you really want to do this, it should relieve back pressure but at the expense of noise, how much is anybodies guess. Also, unless you have a shop full of tools, you may need a welding shop to straighten it out.
  14. kerf

kerf Guest

Fiberglass packing helps absorb some of the high frequency sound.
  15. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

I never thought of doing it that way kerf but your idea will work much better. You could "dolly" it and make it like new. Also loved the pipe insulation idea-perfect!!!
    Just like you said, I would really think anbout cutting it. I guess it depends on where you ride but they are way too noisy as they are. Lets not forget that we are breaking the law by driving them so why yell out "LOOK AT ME"!!!
    I guess I sound like an old man but I hate the back seat of a cop
  16. Mark

Mark New Member

Atleast it dosnt smell to bad ^_^
  17. I would cut it and do away with that inner baffle. If it's too loud then grab some steel wool.
    It really looks like that crimp is there on purpose.
    And if you really don't like the mod then bring it all back by cutting the other side then replace it with a metal tube slightly bigger in diameter. Then tap it all back with a hammer.
    ..HEY! Maybe you can cut that tube completly off leaving about an inch on both ends then find that tube to tap it all in!
    But I would just cut it from the outermost baffle and leave just the outermost baffle in there.
  18. kerf

kerf Guest

The crimp is there to cause the exhaust to flow out through the holes in the baffle tube and into the expansion chamber. It then flows in the holes downstream of the crimp and out the outlet. In doing so it creates much turbulence, good for quite, bad for back pressure. Taking the crimp out, will give a straight through exhaust.
  19. Mark

Mark New Member

Can i just cut the pipe here and just reinstall it with the shorter baffle or will this have negative effects or wont be as efficient as straightening the crimp?.

(Part used) marks the part of the baffle that will be installed into the pipe after cut (if cut). EDITED
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  20. Mark

Mark New Member

Heres the pic.

Attached Files: