how do i mount speedo?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by eltatertoto, Apr 13, 2008.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

hey guys. i got the 26-27 inch speedo from bikeworld usa. (analog) and they sent it too me with no directions!. i was outside installing my new stuff, but i came in to ask about it. im going right back out, but before i come in, ill wait till last thing to do this. soo ill be in in about 1/2 hr. thanks!

i just need to know how to mount

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

PM a few Whizzer guys Tater & see what they say,post pics on this thread if possible so we can all get an idea about the setup........in other words i've never done one so i'm useless. :)

3. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

i figured it out. i went and asked my dad (he worked on bikes as a teenager in the 70s ) and this is a replica, and he said that it goes in the spokes and turns the metal thing like a fishing rod, and the plastic thing is sandwiched on the axle by 2 washers.

Attached Files:

4. loquin

loquin Active Member

The last two pictures are of the pickup. It mounts on the front axle. As the axle turns, a gear turns, which in turn rotates the speedo cable. The speedometer cable is fastened to the speedometer, and it causes the dial to indicate the speed.

The cable can opnly go one way - one end fits into the pickup; one end fits into the speedometer itself.

The little flange that comes out of the side of the pickup fits into the small hole near the axle - the same hole that the safety washer uses. it keeps the pickup from rotating as you ride the bike, and yet allows it the freedom to move slightly.

And, of course, there's a handlebar mounting bracket. You don't show us the back of the speedometer dial, but, you'll probably want to mount the speedometer to the mounting bracket before hooking up the speedometer cable.

edit: Well, duh. If I had scrolled down, I would have seen that you had found an answer...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  5. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

thanks lou. as you saw i did figure it out, but i needed that to be sure. i mounted it not 30 minutes agao. the one i have, you can take the clear cover ff easily. it occoured to me that it might be a little spring that neds replacing, with a stronger one. (the breaking speedo part) so when it breaks, i will look to see if i cant just replace the spring.

6. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Jason, if you're putting that on one of your motored bikes, you will have to let us know how it works. At speed is it bouncing around or constant. Inquiring minds want to know. heh

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  7. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

zev, i tested for .o3 miles, and it stays pretty steady. i was talking when it eventually breaks (as others have said) i will do a vid now. but i dunno how long it will take u tube to upload. going outside now.....

8. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Thanks Jason, you da man. Patiently awaiting video.

9. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

i just got in. i had to talk with some firemen about where to get a kit. (3 to be exact) cause they are going atound advertising the firemans ball. selling tix and stuff, so i couldnt go much higher than 15. but anyway, the vid is uploading....

10. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

its uploaded. give it like 20 min and ill link ya up.

11. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ok heres the link. it just uploaded so if it doesnt work at 1st you might have to try again. for the 1st part i was preoccupied watching for firemen and kids, but at the 2nd part a almost held it steady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNaaU3lYnO0

also, once the mount was on there, before mounting the speedo to it, i took a pair of vice grips and bent the mount tilting up, so i could see it, when i had it on the side of the bars, if that makes sense. you can kinda see it in the vid for 1 sec.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  12. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Looks great Tater. Really looks great. Next weekend in chat you'll have to let me know how it's been. If it's still doing ok, I may have to get me one.

13. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

cool. if its still doing well by then, im gonna buy 1 for the new bike i got, and one for the stingray, if i can find one for a 24 inch wheel.....

14. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

zev,m my only complaint is that i had a hard time squeezing it in the forks. but once in it workes great. it does cause a TINY bit of drag, but its unnoticible. the only reason i know is cause when i spinned the wheel when it was hoisted it didnt spin as long.

15. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Hey, with powered bikes, who really cares about a little drag??

16. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

17. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

When I first saw the topic title, I thought: "first, buy it a drink"....just kidding.

Anyhoo, I have the same speedo- so far, so good. However, I have made my own face for it- which can be swapped to subsequent speedos when this one goes goofy.

18. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

cool! yea i laughed lol i didnt even realize till now! (changine title)

19. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

lol...Actually i took it at face value too Tater but now that i think about it.......who is speedo and where does she live. :)

20. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest