how do i remove head studs?

happyjourney

Local time
1:47 AM
the tactic of putting two nuts on with one wrench holding the top nut on to keep pressure to lock the bottom nut into its position of sitting at the base of where the treading ends on these oem bolts as the bottom wrench attached to the bottom nut turns counter clockwise to loosen the bolt might not work i'm thinking. i'm wondering if there is a better way?

as well my question might be are my head studs 8mm? I've got a 80/66 bgf package. in al.fishermans breakdown of a china HT engine photo album he has the quote "Depending on model...6mm (same as both the intake and exhaust stud sizes) or 8mm." which means to me that if i don't have the same size studs in my exhaust and intake that i have 8mm head studs. My heads studs are clearly larger than the intake and exhaust. does anybody know if bgf 66/80cc engines have 1.0 or 1.25 thread pitch so i can go ahead and buy new ones from sick bike parts. i haven't removed them to put them side by side with the exhaust and intake studs to see if there the same which would mean they are 1.0 according to sick bike parts. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
the "double nut" method of removing/installing studs is just about the ONLY way of doing it that works :rolleyes:

stop thinking for yourself if you come up with daft ideas like "it mayn't work"

:giggle:

There are a number of stud removal tools on the market. Here are a few.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=22&xhr=t&q=stud+removal+tool&tok=n4TfU9f02B6dm9BnM_7yTw&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1076&bih=434&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=i43bTtGcN8u_tge38bGCAg
But with the very few times that the studs are to be removed and the expense of the tool, I don't think they are worth it. Once I replace my studs, and loctite (red) them in, the only way of removal is to use heat. Without heat they won't budge.

Last edited:
The double nut method is free and won't gouge the studs. All those stud removers with the exception of the collet style will leave marks on the studs.

The double nut method is free and won't gouge the studs. All those stud removers with the exception of the collet style will leave marks on the studs.

but of you're removing the stock studs to replace them with better, stronger studs, what difference does it make if the old studs get gouged?

That's what I was thinking, heck use vise grips on them why would you care. Just make sure you don't get any metal shavings in the bottom end.
My heads studs are clearly larger than the intake and exhaust. does anybody know if bgf 66/80cc engines have 1.0 or 1.25 thread pitch so i can go ahead and buy new ones from sick bike parts. i haven't removed them to put them side by side with the exhaust and intake studs to see if there the same which would mean they are 1.0 according to sick bike parts.
If all you're doing is trying to compare threads just take a nut off the intake or exhaust and try screwing it on the cylinder/head stud.

Back