Clutch How do I remove the clutch for replacement?

I

Irish John

I'm trying to take a good clutch out of a bust HT and use it in a good 5 year old Grubee motor that needs a new clutch cos it's worn out.
Can anyone tell me how I get the big gear wheel with the clutch pads on it off the shaft so I can put it on the good engine. I've attached pics showing what needs to be removed. Grateful for any help here.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 1,791
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 1,800
I don't have experiance with this particular clutch, but it looks like you should be able to get a couple of flat screw drivers/flat pry bars 180 degrees apart and gently pry it off wiggling it side to side. There doesn't seem to be room to get the jaws of a wheel puller behind it and if it is really tight it looks fragile enough that a wheel puller would bend or crack it. I'm not sure but it might warp if you heated it with a torch. Others will have experiance with this.

I don't have experiance with this particular clutch, but it looks like you should be able to get a couple of flat screw drivers/flat pry bars 180 degrees apart and gently pry it off wiggling it side to side. There doesn't seem to be room to get the jaws of a wheel puller behind it and if it is really tight it looks fragile enough that a wheel puller would bend or crack it. I'm not sure but it might warp if you heated it with a torch. Others will have experiance with this.

Thanks, I used the puller tool to get it off and I've mounted it on the other good old Grubee HT. The hole in the middle was a bit narrower and I had to file it larger to get it to slide onto the shaft plus the shaft key was a stright piece of key and not a woodruff key. The differences between the 5 year old Grubee and the modern ZBox engine I robbed the part from is noticeable - mainly the quality of the old model Grubee is superior but you see what a nice little design these motors are and I feel sad that they are all built so badly that you can only get a short life out of them. The most recent ZBox engines I have been involved with have an appalling record which I'll tell you.
Out of 9 HT motors in last 12 months - one made it to 8 weeks, one made it to 6 weeks and seven didn't make it to 4 weeks. They all had catastrophic failure - mostly the top or bottom end needle bearings but one had the chrome cylinder lining flake off. That is a 100% total failure rate.
I do not miss those ZBox motors - they have become total junk and the supplier says nobody complains which is a downright lie.

Irish john how did you manage to remove the screw on the small bevel wheel??
I am currently tying to remove mine and have been failing:(

Irish john how did you manage to remove the screw on the small bevel wheel??
I am currently tying to remove mine and have been failing:(
That's the little grub screw on the clutch plate I think you are referring to. You might br having difficulty undong it because it is locked up against the plate holding flange that it prevents from coming undone, Have you tried tapping that either clockwise or anti-clockwise to allow the screw room so you can unscrew it. It is really only held in place by a few treads the thickness of the clutch plate so it shouldn't be hard to unscrew. Use a long handled screwdriver of the right size for the phillips head screw,

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get the retainer nut off? If I turn the nut with a 19 wrench, it just rotates the clutch and drive sprocket. I've put the removal tool on the sprocket really tight but it just ends up unscrewing itself as I turn the nut because they both thread the same way. It feels like there should be an obvious answer I'm overlooking? If I had a way to hold the 3 shafts on the clutch in place that would work, but I can't figure how.

thanks

Leave the clutch engaged and try again.

(When you pull the lever, you disengage the clutch.)

I know ;). What I'm talking about is in this attached pic. You can't turn this nut without turning the drive sprocket. You can't engage the clutch because the plate and everything is already off. What I ended up doing which worked great, was wrapping the chain around the drive sprocket and then sticking a small screw driver through the middle of the top and bottom links to hold it in place. I think this should be posted somewhere if it's not because I couldn't find it.

Attachments

• user8886_pic4943_1255127206.jpg
    user8886_pic4943_1255127206.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,611
Back