How Do You Feel....

5-7HEAVEN

How do you feel while riding on a busy street/highway, mixing it up with cars?

I ride in the middle of the lane with "The Dragon Lady", my dual-engine girlie cruiser. I have to take that center lane of a 5-lane road because the side lanes peel off to the freeway and another ramp.

I feel fine riding a short distance in heavy traffic on the curb lane.

HOWEVER, I feel tense when I'm commuting to work and claiming that center lane. Speed limit is 35mph, I'm going 35-37mph. Cars aren't zipping close to me, so that's good.

It's a two-mile stretch, but it seems like forever. I sense danger.

If I take the bikepath, there's a good chance I'll get a flat tire along that stretch of road.

I think I sense danger, too. It sounds uncomfortable.

Sounds as though you don't have an alternative road? If that's the case, then I'd suggest riding the outside lane. The shoulder would be even better, if it's smooth and free of debris. Then when I came to the off-ramp, I'd follow it until I could stop and check for traffic. Then I'd cross back on to the roadway that goes straight. (I don't know if I described that just right, but I'll bet you can see what I mean.)

I know that sounds like a bit of a pain. But it seems better than either being unsafe or being a hindrance to the autos. (which is unsafe. either way, you lose)

Of course, if the cars only do 35 on that stretch, then you're in halfway decent shape.
But cars sticking to the speed limit is very rare.

We shouldn't mix with them.

how do you feel -- well at times -- just not that good either !!! safe ???

that spot you are talking about where the cars are behind you doing 35 mph
my MB doesn't go that fast
have been in situations like that but at slower speeds

I think often about a motorist not paying attention and running into my back
not a good thought -- and for sure would not feel good !!!
when I rode motor cycles I never thought about this much
they do have better brake lights in most cases

for safty do you use clothing or back pack in safty color ?? yellow or orange ??
may save one's life ??

a serious chance we take when we ride those things

next to windshield blind spot...

Then when I came to the off-ramp, I'd follow it until I could stop and check for traffic. Then I'd cross back on to the roadway that goes straight.

many times that is also what I do bluegoatwoods

sure I don't have to do that
it's my legal right to stay right where I am in said lane -- straight through
I would rather not get hurt than push my legal right

but man oh man those cars can be scary
as those in cars are looking ahead many times we are in their blind spot
that's the spot of car frame between windshield and door
I pulled right out in front of a motor cycle years ago
he was hidden in that next to windshield blind spot...

as we ride those things

You really gotta watch out for those cell phone talkers
It wont help if you got a strobe on your bike.
There just soo busy and soo Important that they must be telling people how great they are 24/7......
I used to not care, but it's gotton so bad that I think we need to do somthing......
Cell Phone Tickets Talk about stimulis !!!!!

Call me PIONEER! LOL
I say if you can keep pace with the traffic, then keep on. Some of the roads I ride on, the bike lane splits to through traffic while the right lane becomes the turn lane. They zip on both sides of me. Ya gotta keep your wits about you and always be on the lookout. But, even when no bike lane and the above split in traffic patterns occur, you have to go on in the proper lane. Same with a left turn. SOOOOO many times I felt like a complete idiot taking up the left turn lane on my bike, BUT, that's where I belong and "sucks to your auntie"! Just stay abreast of the law, and have the ba**s to stay your ground. You have the right to be there. That being said, the graveyards are probably full of people who were in the 'right'.
I am curious tho, (may be a Hawaii thing) what kind of 'freeway' has 35 mph speed limit? Freeway in my neck of the woods won't even allow a bike! Misnomer, perhaps???
Keep a 'finger' ready at all times...a good loud horn helps too to wake 'em up.
WC

Nuttsy, it's a 5-lane highway with max speed 35mph. Far left and right lanes feed turning lanes at intersections. At the end of the highway I go up the ramp that feeds the city boulevard. When ramp is bumper-to-bumper, I decrease speed and grab the shoulder.

Two miles before and two miles after this stretch are comfortable riding, even amidst cars. Speed limits there are 25mph.

Maybe it's because this highway is under the freeway, so it's always dimly lit.

On my commute to work I wear a yellow raincoat, gloves, steel-toe boots and motorcycle 3/4 helmet. Over the raincoat I wear the bright reflective vest.

I should use reflectors and flashers.

bluegoatwoods, maybe I'll ride in the far left lane, which is not considered the fast lane. That might be the safest option. Then I can safely stop and check for traffic near the ramp. Then I just need to change to the next lane.

I don'r ride shoulders of the roads. Too much debris and cracks. Besides, then the cars get to pass inches from you.

When I claim the lane, responsible drivers will be far away from me on all four sides.

Mountainman, thanks for the 1,000 posts props!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride my motorized bicycle like any bicycle. The only time I will ride in traffic, and then only occasionally, is to make a left turn in the downtown area where traffic crawls along at 10 mph. Otherwise, I'll go around seeking alternate routes.

I'm beginning to ride "The Dragon Lady" like a motorcycle. Because of its available power, I claim the lane and try to stay off the bikepaths and sidewalks.

I think the two flat tires and lots of glass on the path helped me change my mind.

Today I rode in the extreme left lane. Curb to my left, so one less lane of traffic to worry about. Then one lane change near the highway upramp to the city boulevard.

Much less stress and tension, and I could ride slower if needed.

Once I reach the ramp, it's smooth sailing for the rest of the commute.

Once you get your new BOB trailer going, you could peak at 40-45, so when you are on a 35mph road, holding your speed would be easy. I have to agree with you that you are safer when you take a lane. In FL I just take the right lane so cars can pass, and I'll go about 35.

Back