How do you heat your garage/workshop in the winter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arceeguy, Nov 25, 2009.

?

How do you heat your garage/workshop?

1. Electric heater

18.4%
  2. Propane heater

21.8%
  3. Natural Gas

6.9%
  4. Fuel Oil furnace

3.4%
  5. Kerosene heater

12.6%
  6. Wood stove

13.8%
  7. Other

10.3%
  8. Heater? Who needs a heater you wimps!

14.9%
  9. I'm lucky enough to live where it's warm - suckers!

16.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Just wondering how you guys keep warm in the cold winter months when wrenching on your toys.

I use a kerosene heater. It is very economical compared to propane, at least when you are using the 20lb grill tanks.

2. spad4me

spad4me Member

The coldest it has been here is 64 degrees at night.
    I actually had a hard time swapping a no mor flats tire and tube cause it was so cold .
    I usually change them in a 120 degree frenzy.

3. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Last winter, an oil furnace. This winter longjohns. :icon_cry:

4. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Up until this year..electric space heaters..expensive....recently got central heat and air...ran duct out into garage and hid it to pass code and inspection..will hook it up soon

5. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I have a good electric heater and a bunch of quartz spot lights. Sounds crazy, but with mats to stand on it's bearable as long as it's not below 25°F or so (OUTSIDE!) (a bit rare) and plenty of vital light.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  6. Pablo

Dude. You are in Florida.

7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

When it is 65F in Florida, they break out the parkas.

8. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Whats a h e a t e r ...SUCKERS :jester:

KiM

9. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

In Florida anything below 60 is cold...at that point we don't even put our beer in the fridge

10. bbb

bbb Member

Up here in Canada who needs a dang beer fridge...stick it in the snow bank long enuf (15-30 min) so when you open it it freezes solid...that's a cold beer. As far as a workable shop temp..anything above freezing works.

11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

LOL, A few years back I was in St, Pete. Walked from hotel to store in shorts,63 degrees 9am... A little old lady passed by and shivering said, You could tell who's from up North arround here...

LOL, She was wearing a tuque and mittens! I almost rolled on the ground!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque

12. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

So it looks like propane is in the lead so far.

I used to use a "Mr. Heat" propane heater, but I realized that while propane was convenient, it was expensive. Back in 2004 it cost 8 bucks to fill a 20lb propane tank that would run the heater for about 20 hours. Now, it costs 18 bucks to fill the tank, and most places don't even give you the full 20 pounds of fuel!

20 dollars buys 5 gallons of K-1 kerosene that will run my kerosene heater for about 75 hours.

13. Pablo

How much ventage do you need for kerosene?

14. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

They say you should crack a window, but I don't. (even when I use them in the house) I have a CO alarms and that's never gone off. The disadvantage to kero is that you get some kero smell when you start the heater, and when you shut it off. When it is running, you really don't get any odor at all because the combustion is so complete when it is at operating temperature. I start and shut them off outside - but sometimes if I'm lazy, I won't bother. After all, it's a garage and it often smells like brake cleaner, gas, paint, etc. Kero adds to the "ambience". LOL

I've got a Heat-Mate HM-110 (new) and a 25 year old Sears. Both are 10,000 BTU radiant type heaters. You can get 20,000 BTU units, but they are convection heaters and you can't put them against a wall like you can with the radiant heaters.

Good for emergency heat too, as kerosene will store for years in a sealed container.

15. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Last year, I bought a 35,000 BTU Mr. Heater propane heater & you are correct.... it's a gas Hog!! My garage is built with bricks & it's drafty, but the heater will warm it up to an almost bearable temp. (except in the coldest of temps, then I am staying in the house!!)

The welding supply place down the street aint scared to put 20 pounds in a tank... for 15 bucks.

16. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

The Mr. Heater that I have is a small 8-10,000 BTU clamp on tank radiant heater. I also have a "Reddy Heater" torpedo style 35,000 BTU heater. It'll only run maybe 8 hours continuous on a 20 lb tank - but it is so powerful you have to shut it off after 20 minutes to keep from getting too hot! (My garage is only about 700sq/ft)

The 10K BTU heaters will not get the garage cozy, but it will bring the temps up to 60F when it is 25F and that is plenty for me.

17. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

KiM, that crack yesterday was entirely uncalled for. So much for you being Mr.Nice Guy.
    LOL.

Steve.

PS Cold keeps the cane toads down!

18. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

You Yanks can make all the jokes you want about us down here in Florida...I will be thinking about you when it gets down in the low teens up there...you will be sitting in your house looking out ..and I will be cruising around on my MB in shorts................shorts..mmmm...going down into the 40s tonight..better go find my long pants..I know I have some..somewhere....but the TV weatherman is probably lyeing..I told them to get an American Indian for that job

19. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

OK Mr Tedd. I'll keep that in mind net summer when it is 100 by you, and 70 here. :grin5:

Low teens....:sweatdrop: above or below zero :jester:

20. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

:devilish: I have a heater of sorts i guess....aircon in "off" position.. :taz:

KiM