How do you Improve the Grip of a Drive Roller?

How do you improve grip of a drive roller?

Ok here is what I did with good success. I cleaned my drive roller with acetone, and a cloth. I then applied anti slip tape to the friction roller. You can buy it at home depot. Peel and stick on one side and carborundum on the other side. This will make your base to accept epoxy. I used jb weld. After applying jb weld I installed a cut out piece of a bicycle tire tread long enough to meet each other on the spindle. I wire tied the bicycle tire to the epoxy and waited 12 hours. Now I have a tire turning a tire. Your welcome.

This is why i like the bumblebeebolton design because if your not getting enough grip on your drive wheel all you have to do is tighten your bungee takes like 15 secs and your off. Its nice and simple. I like the delrin they use to because after a hundred miles it takes the shape of the tire and grips it really good and the drive wheel quits wearing down after it takes the shape of the tire. its a good idea. I used to like neoprene until i tried the delrin. Anyone else use neoprene before?

Pdetke,
Interesting idea, even though I've converted my fric-drive to a belt
drive, I keep a roller handy in case I have to change out in the middle
of nowhere. Of course, I carry spare belts in my bike trailer,(a spare
engine for that matter), but it can't hurt to be ready for anything.
I could likely build a house or pull a flathead V-8 with the stuff I lug
around.:giggle:

pdetke,

why the ant-slip tape and carborundum? Why not just put JB Weld on the roller and attach the tire to the roller? JB Weld won't attach to the roller? Just curious. If it works - that's all that matters.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

I was wondering that myself, I am currently using jb directly to the metel roller after mixing it with good grade white sand and it sticks great and lasts a long time.. I like the idel of the rubber tire though I wonder how good the jb would stick to the rubber tire.

what is delrin?? I would like to try that material..
Still searching for the perfect roller..

roller

I am using a honda gx 31..
On my last trip I had more trouble with the clutch slipping than the roller..
Does anyone know of a solution to that problem?
Maybe a avaliable heavy duty clutch for that engine..:rolleyes:

perhaps he used carborundum becuz it's much harder than sand,and hence
less prone to wear. I haven't tried 'em yet, but I like the looks of staton's
new roller design. What I don't like is that for any size other than the 1'
you'll have to buy a new clutch drum as well since the larger rollers no longer
fit the previous drums.

P.S. rattdog, I'm pretty sure staton has a heavy duty clutch for a gx31.

Last edited:
One point to remember if you add material to a drive spindle is it will increase it's diameter thus changing the drive ratio. A bicycle tire tread might add say 3/16", maybe more depending on the tire, and then double that, so it might be like stepping up 3/8" in spindle size.

what is delrin?? I would like to try that material..
Still searching for the perfect roller..

DELRIN® Sheets and Delrin Rods have many of the same characteristics of industrial metals such as brass, aluminum, zinc, and stainless steel. Delrin is a homopolymer acetal (POM). Some of Delrin's comparable properties include stiffness, dimensional stability, impact resistance, and structural strength. Delrin® 150 Natural, standard general purpose, unfilled acetal. This grade has the best impact toughness of all unfilled Delrin products. Delrin® 150 SA was discontinued in 2003 & replaced by Delrin 150.
Natural color is supplied as Delrin® 150,
Black is supplied as Delrin® 100 (Black equiv to 100). It is also UV stabilized.

Its good stuff. after about 200miles it literaly molds to the shape of the tire and stops wearing down. It freaked me out the first time i realized how it works. It doesn't wear the tire nearly as bad as a steel roller. you can buy them from bumblebeebolton.com. I think there $9. I like neoprene to. If you can get ahold of neoprene 90 you will be amazed. that stuff is even better than delrin but noone makes it anymore. That i could find. I use the Black Delrin. You can order a rod of it from proffessional plastics also.(does not come with the hole drilled in it).

Back