Safety How do you not get burned?

if there isn't a guard that I can buy, I don't mind making one myself. it just seems plain dumb not to have a guard on the motor. every person on here has been burned by the motor.

I am wondering the same thing as ryansclzo. is there some type of guard that can go over the motor and still be thin enough to not get in the way of the pedals? I live in Florida, and it is 90+ everyday here in the summer. there is no way that I am going to wear jeans in this heat. I am thinking about buying a special suit that still has air flow. I would love to know if there is a guard for the motor.

just ride faster, let the air keep you cool

if there isn't a guard that I can buy, I don't mind making one myself. it just seems plain dumb not to have a guard on the motor. every person on here has been burned by the motor.

I haven't been burned, but my leg touches the exhaust pipe all the time. just wear jeans.

Exhaust wrap insulates the pipe which if you have an expansion chamber or a gutted stock pipe (two stroke), boosts performance because the gasses inside the pipe get hotter and return to the engine faster. The exhaust wrap also provides some heat protection. Not a lot, but some. I recently bought 15' of exhaust wrap on eBay for $10 with free shipping, and it comes in different colors. I got orange, because it matches my gas tank. As far as legs touching the motor is concerned, if its happening then you're either doing something wrong or you've wrecked, which could be the same thing. There isn't a guard you can buy for the engine or the muffler, but you can make a guard out of sheet metal. Mesh steel is the best because it has holes that still allow some heat to escape, which is necessary for the engine and also if a leg were to touch the guard, it would not be as hot. But I think exhaust wrap looks better and should provide adequate protection. I also ride in shorts and a t shirt, unless I am either in a work uniform or it is too cold for shorts. And sometimes if it is extremely hot, I will take my uniform in a backpack and change at work.

thank you butterbean, that was good information. I will definately look into the exhaust wrap, it sounds like a great way to add protection. I will wear a leg wrap if i need to as well.

I'm not aware of anything that wraps around the leg to protect it from engine/exhaust heat.

Well I burned myself on an exhaust the first time I rode my motorbike...should've been wearing jeans, but now I know better.
Even before the burn, I made sure I always wore a helmet. I especially can't risk it, not even on a normal bike, so I don't. The other two are right, proper gear is important.

If you pay attention and don't let your legs touch the exhaust, you really don't need leg protection. I wear shorts and a T-shirt almost every time I ride and haven't burned myself in a long time.

I got a motorized bicycle and every single time that I ride, I burn my leg on the motor, not the exhaust. the exhaust pipe is actually too far away from my leg to even get burned by it, it's the motor, just like I thought it would be. I am going to either buy a velcro leg wrap that I can slap on my leg every time that I get on, or I am going to have to build a motor guard. I am Also Always paying attention, but I still get burned because the motor is literally right up against my leg, no matter how much I pay attention, a small turn on the bike makes me tilt my leg a little and burn it. for now though, I am just going to get the leg guard and see how that goes, though I would prefer that nothing touch the motor at all, so I will probably have to make a motor guard from the materials Butterbean suggested.

Last edited:
BTW, I am getting burned on the cylinder head. I am going to buy some high heat resistant fabric, like amorphous silica cloth, kelvar/nome fibre, etc., and sew some velcro, them just wrap it around the pay of my leg that had been getting burned. perfect solution, no melting on the engine and no burns on my skin.

Back