How does roller/clutch work

bob haynes

Local time
3:40 PM
I just completed my first friction build. I mounted a dax triton GT50R on my bike using their mounting kit etc. It starts up great,throttle works fine, and no leaks. The roller is always turning. I thought the roller should be idle (not turning) unless you give it some throttle. Did I do something wrong or is my clutch stuck?Any suggestions?Thanks

When the rack is lifted off the tire, the spindle may spin a bit from the clutch shoes just ticking the drum, but should stop spinning instantly when lowered onto the tire. If it doesn't, you have an issue with the clutch dragging and of course the bike could take off if you hit the gas in the least.

thanks Happy Valley;I wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I may have a clutch issue. I set the idle down and it is spinning fairly fast. I'll put it on my car bike rack and lower the spindle. It won't take off on me and hopefully stop spinning.

Right bob, at idle when they're broken in, the spindle should not spin. Sometimes when brand new the clutch shoes will ping the drum a little and make the roller spin until they get a bit of wear, but still should not have enough purchase to move the bike or anything. If they do, then you might have a problem but I think (hope) you'll find all ok.

Last edited:
Just a FYI, I emailed Grady at Dax and he says the key is how many spacers and washers you use to space the motor from the mount. I will check all this out Monday 8/1.
I started out with a 66cc Grubee and a Micargi beach cruiser about a year ago. The fat tires that I wanted started me out on a motor mount journey. I ended up with a MM spindle and offset mounts from Aampt. My journey through all the forums,videos and websites I came across the Dax friction motor. I bought it to put on my old bike for my grandson. Soon (like two weeks) I will have both on the road and we can finally enjoy some riding. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to reduce them for the forum. I learned alot and have to work on getting rid of my "newbie" title>

Riding with your grandson, sounds like a very fine thing Bob. Best and ride safe you two.

posted pics

I figured out how to post pictures re 8/13 photo gallery and yes my grandson is enjoying riding and learning all the extras that just pop up when your out and about. I put him to work! Next we have to check the forums because the pull start locked up. Later!

Back