how far can you go on a 2stroke motorised bike

ant797

Local time
3:20 PM
hi im planning on doing a 56km around 2hours max on a 2 stroke mountain bike its a japanese kit i think from ebay just wondering if they can make it that far non stop

hi im planning on doing a 56km around 2hours max on a 2 stroke mountain bike its a japanese kit i think from ebay just wondering if they can make it that far non stop
What do you think will happen if you ride it for 35 miles non stop?

I really doubt that your kit is Japanese, if it is the typical 2 stroke kit
it is made in China.
Do you have the kit?

I've regularly rode 45 miles non-stop with the RS EH035, and Tanaka PF4000.I read one of Grouchos posts a while back, he wanted to test his ride and did a trip with the EHO35 without killing it for 6 hours ( I believe), drive-thru eating and filling while running.
As long as you pay attention to the way it runs, and run it kindly I'd say go for it.

The PF4000 is used on high end brushcutters that might be used the whole day. There is no wai engines like that should have any problems running for a long time, definitely not if it's a bit cold or average temp so the wind keeps it cool - the very cheap chickity China stuff might have bother but really they shouldn't and even if one of those packs up it's not the end of the world

Vary the throttle a bit, some 2 strokes don't like being ran at the same r.p.m for a long time

I have a cheap 2 stroke china kit ( A Happy times) nothing extra just the basic kit. I pull a trailer home it took me almost 3 hours with out a problem my average trip is around 1-1/2 hours at a time without a problem. The only rest was at red lights

I'll be riding my HT 225 miles in about a week and a half. I plan on doing a 100 miles or so a day. I'll be taking along quite a few spare parts and tools.

I've heard how unreliable these engines are. But I am of the opinion that the reliability of the operator is senior to the machine. We'll see how my China girl does.

I've run my china "happy time" motorized bike for 7-8 hours non-stop in very unforgiving conditions-mainly on forestry service/access roads and atv trails in the mountain. When I stop to tighten the front chain every 2-3 hours on my SBP shifter kit (really guys at SBP, you should fix this issue with a chain tensioner) I leave the bike running. I have two gas tanks and carry about 1.5 gallons of fuel and another 1/2 gallon in my backpack.

Yeah, those china HT engines are junk :) Did I mention, until someone else steps up, I'm the unofficial high altitude record holder on a HT engine. Took mine over Cottonwood pass twice last year 12,126 feet AGL on top and a very long and refreshing ride and my china HT had no problem on the 10% grades! I did have to stop at 10,000 ft AGL and move the needle clip one notch to lean out the mixture.

If you build it right, a HT will last thousand of miles. The only problems I have had were with my SPB shifter kit-front chain loosening and sloppy freewheel crank. My DAX engine is almost 5 years old-purchased in 2008- and runs like a swiss watch. My other engine is at least 3 years old and is an Ebay special.

Oh yeah, I ride mostly full throttle up steep mountain grades at slow speeds.....that HT engine can get quite warm in these conditions.

In 10 year of buying, building, and occasionally selling motorized bikes, I've had only two engine failures:
About 7 years ago, I lost a piston/head assembly when the small pin in the piston that prevents the rings from moving fell out and allowed the ring to rotate and catch on an exhaust port (I now epoxy this pin in the piston if the piston has one-some HT engines don't)
Second failure was wrist pin cage bearing failure about 4 years ago. My fault for not replacing it but it was a quick build.
If you buy a HT and slap it onto your bike as is, then you will probably experience problems.

The secret to engine longevity: 32:1 with 1/4 to 1/3 of your oil being pure degummed CASTOR oil. Nothing beats it for engine protection and though it burns a little dirtier, I've never had an issue with it as our engines don't have power valves in the exhaust.

Last edited:
Brass Tacks

I've run my china "happy time" motorized bike for 7-8 hours non-stop in very unforgiving conditions-mainly on forestry service/access roads and atv trails in the mountain. ....

Yeah, those china HT engines are junk :) ....

If you build it right, a HT will last thousand of miles. ....

The secret to engine longevity: 32:1 with 1/4 to 1/3 of your oil being pure degummed CASTOR oil. Nothing beats it for engine protection and though it burns a little dirtier, I've never had an issue with it as our engines don't have power valves in the exhaust.

Yes!

But I got a question. You say, "32:1 with 1/4 to 1/3 of your oil being pure degummed CASTOR oil." Now, I KNOW people argue about this. I must have read 50 threads on the subject--among which your voice, Skyliner was strong. In the end, I went with the instructions that came with my kit--20:1.

BUT, I've been blending Maxima 927 with high end synthetics at 5:1. I've had to jet the carb a bit lean to make up for the extra oil in the mix. But I am SO wary of using less oil! Your experience really trumps mine, but even so, I can't help myself. When I am ignorant, I just "follow the recipe."

Advice?

Specifically, Do you use straight Maxima 927 with no blending with other oils? That stuff is pricy, as I'm sure you know, though, I just bought two quarts of the stuff.

I'm running Opti 2 in 2 China Girls, so far, so good . During break in , I added some Synthetic Oil to the Opti 2 . I know a little about breaking in 2 strokes, having owned a bunch of them. Use extra Oil ! Make the first batch with about 20 % less fuel = richer mixture . Run the engine briefly, let it cool throughly first few runs. The heating, and cooling tempers the alloy, retorque bolts, and enjoy. Opti 2 is an interesting product, its formula is attracted to heat, so it nails the hot spots . Conventional lubricants tend to run away from heat, try it with a piece of tin, and a propane torch, pour down some oil, heat underside of metal, watch oil run away from heat.

Back