How fast is your bike?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by vintagegreen, May 28, 2013.

1. vintagegreen

vintagegreen New Member

I have a stock carburator and exhaust and mine goes 37 mph. How fast do your go, and any ideas to make it faster?

2. bigoilbob

bigoilbob Member

21-22 at the most. But I can gear down and climb a 25% grade by myself and a ~17% grade with a passenger - no pedaling.

Over 25, aren't we getting into the need 4 bigger tires, better brakes, motorcycle helmets. more protective clothing, and all the rest?. I have my BikeE2 recumbent tandem, with GX35 and Nu Vinci auto hub, and a BMW Dakar 650. They are different machines for different purposes.
  3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My bike does 8mph working the guts out of the engine ;-)
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

My Bike Is Fast!

I've got the fastest bike on the island! No one is faster than me!

But then again, I haven't seen any other motorized bikes on the island.

Since I'm the only bike on the island, then I must be the fastest bike on the island.

All kidding aside, my bike is too fast for me. I like to cruise @ 30mph. And yes, I have the big brakes, big tires, motorcycle helmet, dirt bike gloves, chest protector, elbow/forearm guards, knee/shin guards and Red Wing work boots. My coworkers call me "The Transformer".
    HeadSmess likes this.
  5. Max-M

Max-M Member

6. Quadranut

Quadranut Member

fast enough to scare me :jester: and fast enough to get to work on time, that is if I leave on time :grin5: Of course riding a POS from Tarjay ain't sumpin you wanna go WEALLY WEALLY FAST on. Bout 25 on WOT ( guestamate ) One of these days I will have the wife follow me in her car. ( we know that speedo is accurate and don't ask how either )
  7. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. I can do 30 mph on level ground and do at least 8 mph up any hill here in Tennessee. I've go he only motorized 5 speed autoshift bike in the world. Currently using a 33 cc engine. Plan to upgrade to 49 cc soon.
  8. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

My GSXR-750 tops out over 150 runs sub 11 quarters.
  9. bigoilbob

bigoilbob Member

Old Bob, U must be so proud to have bought this bike. Everyone in the forum must admire your achievement.
  10. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now if only a bespoke bicycle manufacturer made a bicycle replica of the Bimota Tesi 3D with a micro engine option :banana:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  12. bigoilbob

bigoilbob Member

I think Old Bob is putting us on. Who would be so needy as to brag about their store bought crotch rocket on a DIYMB web site. Fooled me!
  13. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

yeah its an older model. not the latest, but still very fast and quick.

you guys already hated me before

I have no reason to lie, there are more than a dozen motorcycles in my garage.Road bikes and dirt bikes,even a Honda or two:devilish:
    My engine development for the Honda M-4 line of engines lead me to explore the applications of it.Winters are long here I need something to do during the winter in between snowmobiling.

back on topic my Honda gx35 powered MB would do mid to high 30s mph only due to the fact it had a two speed transmission and dynoed at 3 1/4 hp.
  14. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Should have been more specific in the question.
    I thought my answer was funny.

your attack is unwarrented
  15. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

first of all, that fastest on the islan quip got me in tears...

secondly...that bimota is hot. i always loved linkage and swingarm front suspension. strangest feeling to hit the anchors hard and have the front rise up. unlike trailing link setups on scooters that dive worse than standard telescopes :rolleyes:
    5-7HEAVEN likes this.
  16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Thanks,HeadSmess. All in fun. My friend Ed had a fast Happy Time/Trek bike. He said he got it up to 53mph on flat ground. Sadly, the engine pulled a stud and he never repaired it.
  17. My newest build, using a 148cc Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke single belt drive cruises comfortably at 40, 45 if I bend down and gun it. I'm rather small thou, weighing around 120lbs. It luggs with my 210lb friend on it
  18. Waleed

Waleed New Member

Probably 30mph at most all stock, running properly. I found with the last two kits I used (Powerking), the speed was slower than the others I've worked with, but also a little better quality.
  19. bahramu

bahramu Member

I bought my bike on craigslist. It was all stock and I hit 30mph . Then I port matched the intake and exhaust manifold, corrected transfer port with JB weld, added Jaguar cdi, increased intake manifold length to 6.5", and swapped in a 41 tooth sprocket. Now my topspeed is 30mph.
    At least the acceleration has improved and can hold 18mph on San Francisco hills. Gonna build up a new engine soon
  20. Waleed

Waleed New Member

@bahramu. Does jb weld hold up well?I noticed that I raised the intake port a little high when I was porting with the rotary tool, and I jb welded it and ground it to try to fill in some of the gap. Some far it looks good, havent really ran on it my bike, but smoothed it out.