How hard is it to get a 66cc engine to start

Bwhaley6

Local time
12:29 AM
I have an angelfire mega motors 66/80 cc engine on my bike I have compression spark and fuel and I cannot get it started for the first time. I'm using 20:1 fuel and the spark plug that came with my kit. I have checked the kill switch and it is functioning like it should not shorting out anything. Any suggestions?? image.jpg

Last edited:
getting th first start can be hard - I'm assuming you can clearly see the spark & the plug is very wet after you try to start it

I'd try it with choke on after hitting the tickler a bit & if it at least coughs, try it again with choke off pedaling hard

I had the exact same problem as you and it took almost a month for me to figure it out. Turns out the problem was too much compression. I took the exhaust off and it finally started to fire, so give that a try. After you get the engine to run normally, you can eventually put the exhaust back on, but don't ride it around much with the exhaust off, best to let it idle (or just throttle it while stationary if it doesn't want to idle, mine didn't for a while).

Yes spark is visible and the plug is somewhat wet after trying to get it started I can definitely smell fuel after riding it so hard to get it started. I'm probably going to replace the spark plug and see if that helps I'm just not sure I'm getting a powerful enough spark using the stock plug that came with the kit.

You're on the right track, get a good plug, mine runs great with a NGK B6HS. Also, the carbs seem to be jetted too rich from the factory, try setting the needle clip on the top groove. I had to re-jet my carb, running great with a #62 jet. You don't say where you are, but altitude has much to do with jetting (I'm at 900 ft) if you're at higher altitudes you'll probably have to go even leaner. One other thing, 20:1 is too much oil. Go 32:1, it'll give you a better and quicker seating of the rings, just don't full throttle it for a while. You'll feel it when things are seated well.

Do you have a side pic of your bike so we can see the carb angle?

Sounds to me like your carb is dumping raw fuel into your crankcase.
This can be from a non-level carb or an out of a adjustment float bowl setting, or just not firing.

I can't see too much compression ever being a problem, it usually not enough compression due to a head gasket leak.
I torque my 66cc heads to 20# in an X pattern and this is not a guessing game, you need a torque wrench.

Regardless, raw fuel in the crankcase will always cause problems so here is how you clean it out.

1. turn off fuel.
2. pull the spark plug out.
3. without giving it any throttle pedal it up the street and back with the clutch out to blow every down there out.

Thanks guys but still no luck! I'm going to keep trying though. I took a pic of my engine but I don't know how to post it on here?

you do it twice - first hit attachment to upload the pic, then hit attachment again to select that pic to put in post

Finally got a pic uploaded so you guys could see it! Sorry I'm new to this forum thing!

Back