how long would it tak to travel this distance

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by whelan wheels, Jan 18, 2009.

1. How many hours would it take to travel 185 miles(297km.) doing 24m.p.h.
    (40k.m.h). I've been trying to figure this out for some time now and by my best estimates what i've figured is 7 to 8 hours in traveling time.If any one else can help me on thiswould be most gracious of them. My math isn't the best.I ask this question because this up coming summer I plan on taking a
    really long distance trip to timmins from sudbury,ont. canada, just to see if it can be done with one of these motor kit's. :cool2:

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

If you do nothing but ride, 8 hours would be a good estimate, but that doesn't include a leisurely stop for problem has always been stopping and yakking along the way, which keeps my average around 20 mph, maybe 200 miles per day.
  3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

24 mph equals 2.5 minutes/mile. At that pace the 185 miles would take 185 * 2.5 = 462.5 minutes. 462.5 / 60 = 7 hrs 42.5 minutes - assuming constant speed and no stops. Plan on a 12 hour day.
  4. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

Sudbury to Timmins, that will a nice ride!! make sure you wear a pair of goggles to keep the bugs out of your eyes and watch out for moose!!
  5. graucho

graucho Active Member

The math looks good...

My opinion only. I say make it a fun trip. Can you make it a 2 day trip? Stop when you
    see something interesting. Give the engine a break. Leave time for repairs. Give the hind
    end a break. Find a riding partner to share the experience. Maybe pull a trailer, or wear a small
    backpack. Get a comfortable seat! by Subcat: Trailers & Accessories
  6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

wow --that woke my rear end up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200 miles a day on my motor bike

wow -- that woke my rear end up

or would be sure to put it to sleep for a long dong time........... !!!

if one wished to push hard on that mileage needed for trip -- 2 to 3 days

making it a way more enjoyable ride -- 4 days

retired Mountainman -- 3 to 5 days

didn't help much -- but -- you probably fall right in there somewhere

gee thanks so much Mountainman -- 2 to 5 days !! that's a retired guy's thinking for you !!!

main thing -- have fun as you ride that thing
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  7. sparky

sparky Active Member

How did you plan out your trip(s)?? Did you ever ride along highways?

I feel like I'll never be able to do any long distance MB trips without a bike lane on the Interstates.
  8. Mountainman

that SS -- knows his stuff

that SS -- knows his stuff -- and that's for sure !!!

there you go -- let's call it 8 hours of straight riding time
    but that won't be happening
    there will be many, many stops along the way
    and once we stop takes time to get back up to speed

I don't think that many wish to ride for 12 hours

sounds like -- two days will work

one THING for sure -- it will be a great little ride
  9. bamabikeguy

Interstates were paved after the accessible US Highways were already there, so US 31 runs in the general direction of Interstate 65. When you look at the map of Alabama, it is pretty much no-mans land between Mobile and Tuscaloosa...but there are usually a couple of hub-cities/big towns where all the roads cross.

If I were to plan a round trip to Gulfport, I'd probably come south via Demopolis AL, to Waynesboro MS, then come through the DeSoto National Forest and enter Gulfport on US 49. And I'd try to get to Gulfport around 2 p.m., when traffic is lightest.

On the return leg, I'd aim straight north through Hattiesburg, to the Bienville National Forest, northeast to Philadelphia MS, Columbus MS, then I'd be in familiar territory, lots of options to get back home, including Birmingham if I wanted to. I have 5 routes to get back and forth to B'ham, which is 60 miles south of me.

I usually try to stay away from touristy areas, so when cutting through south Missouri, I avoided Branson, MO like a plague....and when planning to pass through Kansas, I tried to cross south to north midway between the major cities, like Kansas City and Wichita, which kept me far away from heavy traffic.

Another trick is to try and do the 7-9 a.m. or the 2-4 p.m. part of a journey's leg on some two-lane backroads, get that fifty miles out of the way without too much worrying about rush hour.

And I look for points of interest in the area, on that Mobile trip I rode on the Selma Ferry and came south via Monroeville, where "To Kill a Mockingbird" was based. Moundville, AL where those Indian burial mounds are, would be a sightseeing choice, and the Mississippi locals could probably point me to some good spots between Gulfport and Columbus.

When talking to locals, a lot of times a motorcyclist can give you all sorts of routes, because they do weekend roadtrips, and have excellent info including where to eat and which places to avoid.
  10. bamabikeguy

Since I've been running 2 cycles with a thumb throttle, that I can slip my "cruise control" wire over, 90% of the time my hands are free, engine going wide open.

With the R/S 35 4-stroke on the recumbent, I don't think that will be possible, the "cruise control part", so we'll just have to see if 200 miles per day is still an achievable goal.

I still haven't figured out how to carry the same amount of gear, because the recumbent seat knocks out use of the backpack.

But 200 miles per day is the easiest way, for me, to carve up the map on a long ride. In 200 mile chunks, that makes a 1,000 mile trip 5-6 days.
  11. Mountainman

Mountainman -- can you still do the 200 mile days ?

Mountainman -- can you still do the 200 miles days ?

that's a good question that I am pondering on this early morning
    yes -- I used to take off on (larger bikes) and ride all day and nights
    through the weekends with a cute little thing on the back
    with next to no or no sleep
    then on Monday morning hauling butt into work place parking lot
    many times on one of my Harley's
    comming to a sliding stop into a parking place
    this is not a big deal as all riders know
    after days straight on a two wheel with motor
    that THING becomes a part of your body

ok back to the point Mountainman
    I quess in the right conditions I could do 200 miles a day on a MB
    but for me that just may take the fun out of the ride
    but I am thinking also
    this may be what the doctor would order at this time for Mountainman

Tuscaloosa Alabama noted up above ---
    my brother lives there
    master builder of many THINGS
    when he was a very young boy
    he rebuilt Dad's lawn mower into a riding machine
    Dad was whissed when he saw the sweet conversion
    told him -- "that THING had better be back to a lawn mower fast"
    anyone close by or riding through sometime
    would like to have you meet for a short time with my brother
    so as to share the motor bike thrill ----- thank you - MM
  12. loquin

loquin Active Member

As far as the calculation goes, you can also just divide the miles by the speed, and the answer is in hours.

185/24 = 7.708333... hours.

Temporarily subtract the 7 hours, then multiply the remainder by 60 minutes (per hour) which results in 42.5. The result is 7 hours, 42.5 minutes, which exactly matches [not so] Simple Simon's calculation:)
  13. sparky

sparky Active Member

I forgot that Google Maps has the walking feature that shows the shortest distance without Interstates... very useful for such ventures.

See.... going that far north on 49 seems like it'd get pretty dangerous as the speeds are virtually Interstate speeds, and bicyclists aren't allowed on highways in MS & prolly AL, too. If I tried to do that, I'd be expecting numerous cops to stop me and deliver some citations.

Equally brilliant, if not moreso!!
  14. bamabikeguy

I've always considered this sport closer to horse racing than anything else, and time/distance would be useful in short commuting calculations, and hour or 90 minutes you can be pretty exact, estimating time of arrival. Daily commutes are like Derby races, you can shoot for record times.

But once set out on anything close to 180-200 miles, throw away the watch and compass. If you've got a sturdy ride, done all the tire and wheel prep, you'll make it in a day.

If not, you'll call home and request a rescue. But once you're in the 150 mile trekking, you keep time on a calender, not on a wristwatch. You can make up distances by riding hard or catching a tailwind, you can even cheat and put your thumb out, pitch the bike in the back of a friendly pickup truck.

The real fun, the adventure of doing really long distances, is meeting the "unknown", you can't predict the weather more than three days in advance, you might fight a headwind all morning, or have to pull into a diner when a rain squall passes overhead.

There was a diner in Arkansas where I waited out a torrent, when it ended I headed east. I swear this is true. I took a left turn, aiming north toward that Crater of Diamonds State Park. No sun for directions, but an hour later I ended up SOUTH of the same highway I had turned off. Me and the reporter at the Nashville Times looked at the map to try and figure out how I even got there, but there was no reasonable explanation except the poor condition of the Arkansas highway markers. (Or UFO transport??)

But the real answer to whelen's puzzle is "one day", if he's both prepared and lucky.

Start at sunrise when the wind is calmest and traffic is lightest, and the bulk of the miles will be done by noon. Get a late start or a shaky first 2 hours and you MIGHT make it by sundown.

Or he might not, that's the unknown.
  15. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

All I know is your A$$ will be beyond numb after a ride that long in twelve hours.

I rode my Vespa P200e 200 miles in one day with two one hour stops and I thought my A$$ had fallen off because I could not feel it from setting for extended periods of time.:ack2:
  16. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

I have not driven Sudbury to Timmins, however I have done the Thessalon to Chapleau, and Chapleau to Timmins stretch in a car. I would recommend both roads for an adventure motorbike tour. You will be driving along and its like a half hour (in a car) between fishing camps and thats all the civilization there is for the northern stretches, until you get to Chapleau. Chapleau to Timmins is also very remote, the first half is very few houses, just lots of forestry. Then a few villages as you get closer to Timmins. Timmins is a long stretched out town from east to west, it will take a long time to get to the downtown. There are some huge mines there.

You can be sure of getting gas and food in Chapleau and Timmins, outside of those towns, there are hardly any gas stations, maybe a few fish camps that will sell you some gas.

Lots of trees, not a lot of traffic, not a lot of gas stations. A lot of black bear sightings on the way. Nice roads, nice scenery. Plenty of places to stop and camp if necessary. Nice rivers and streams along the way. Did I mention a lot of trees? You would definitely be on your own when camped out. Very remote. Very few cars on the road, you can hear them coming about 5 miles away.

I wanted to drive to Hudsons Bay on the Quebec side but due to car issues, stopped at the ON/QC line.,-81.870117&spn=5.579197,9.887695&t=h&z=7
  17. graucho

graucho Active Member

Finally! I got some information to visulize in my head what the area and terrain's like.
    Thanks for the map too.

Hearing that, Id have to have a back up plan. And be darn sure I had a cell phone signal.
    Id pull a trailer, have extra gas, a big arse seat and a big knife.:devilish: LOL
  18. sparky

sparky Active Member

What would you guys do if you broke down in the middle of nowhere with a trailer?? You can't just pick it up and put it in the back of a truck (maybe some, depending on the size of the trailer & truck), and you prolly couldn't find too many places to lock it up to.
  19. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

sorry no cell signal out of town

and its all out of town!
  20. graucho

graucho Active Member

True, if thats the kind of trip thats planned.
    I was thinking of this as more of a survival trip. There wouldn't be a truck picking you up. It you and the road. If you break down or have a flat you have the tools and spare parts to get going on your own. If you need to last over night you have camping supplies and some food . This sounds like a trip you don't want to get caught with your pants down. (so to speak Haha)