How many 2-strokes left? Whats next?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TWalker, Oct 2, 2006.

1. TWalker

TWalker Guest

I only use the V-Frame mounted motors not the rear mount weedeater type motors.

They were banned from import beginning this year which really put sand in my gears. Theres still some on ebay from Kings and another couple guys.

1. Does anyone know about how many are left in the US? Or a guess as to how long they will last? (a distributor might have an idea)

2. Any news on cheap 4 strokes? I've seen but they are expensive and not as good looking as the little 2-strokes.

3. I considered starting to convert some $99 pocket bike motors but theyre not really what I'm looking for.

4. I have considered importing some to Juarez, Mexico and bringing em over to New Mexico. Anyone interested? I can bring em across fairly easily.

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

1. No idea. It is news to me that they are being banned.

2. no idea. I'm sure it will become a solution eventually

3. only 99 bucks? are they 2 or 4 stroke?

4. hahahaha, black market motorized bicycles... This is probably a last resort if the supply here runs dry and people start getting desperate for them. Hopefully we wont have to resort to that.

But good questions, I had no idea 2-strokes were banned...
  3. TWalker

TWalker Guest

Yes they were banned from import, so what we have here is all we'll be getting. They were banned due to emissions. 2-strokes engines put off lots of emissions gases but with the new synthetic oils I think they are not bad at all.

What you see here is basically whats been available. I think most US motor dealers use this site.

Heres a $99 engine that could be converted possibly:

there probably not a shortage of these, in fact they might be US made.

The ones I like like the one you and I use are Chinese and must be imported. They look like little motorcycle engines and come in complete bicycle kits. Those are the ones I'm interested in.
  4. Tom

Tom Active Member

an issue with the pocket bike motors is the clearance of the pedals... is this motor much wider??
  5. TWalker

TWalker Guest

I believe so just from looking at it. Thats one of the problems.

I also don't want a pull start. (Not sure of those do or don't)
    I like the idea of a centifugal clutch though.

If they are too wide they have to be mounted somewhere besides the V between the pedals so that kinda rules em out for me.

The way they mount is on a wide plate at the bottom about 6-8 inches. So obviously they have issues to deal with.

6. Edward

Edward Guest

I would hazard a guess that there is about a 6 month to a year supply at the current market prices with a few profiteers to take up the stragglers for a year or two after. As to the number of motors out there and in use, its hard to say, due to the number of importers and suppliers that came and went. The next phase will be trying to keep the ones we have, running regardless of the supply of imported spare parts. I believe in making our own if suitable substitutes can't be located. There are some interesting possibilities, for instance I have a Honda 49cc cylinder which has the same dimensions and bolt pattern as the Gru-Bee square head, it however intakes completely from the crankcase with only an exhaust port. And so would need a new orifice in the case with a reed valve to make it functional on the Gru-Bee case, I'm thinking.
  7. ranzchic

ranzchic Guest

8. try1897

try1897 Guest

Motor too wide

Hi some of the kits i've seen come with a wide set of peddle cranks to over come the problem of engine clearence. They look to be a good 2 inches wider than stock. Tom in W.V.
  9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i know how many chinese motors are going to be available in my area: as many as me and my buddies can afford to hoard before the supply runs dry :twisted:

i'm pretty impressed with the appearance of gru-bee's 4-stroke kit:

pretty pricey total cost, now, but if it takes off i guess the price would normalize a bit. i know that if it turns out to be my only option someday i WILL find a way to own one.
  10. bird

bird Guest

i heard a while ago there was less then 500 80s left in the us but the 48s were not part of the ban. i dont know how true this is but im sure you can get a 48cc and buy a rebuild kit for an 80cc and put them together since they both have the same bottom end. just be carefull tho because the older 80s have a shorter piston rod and a piston with a lower wrist pin. the newer 80s have longer piston rod and the piston had a higher wrist pin. [​IMG]