How many here rode motorcycles first

Yep, rode motorcycles for 20 years before I got my 1st MB.

First cycle was a 150 cc Vespa Scooter. It was a great machine but the darn clutch cable snapped every couple of months. To shift gears you rotated the left handlebar grip.

Second bike was a 1981 Honda 400 Hawk with 2 speed hondamatic transmission. It has no clutch and had a torque convertor and 2 speeds. Tranny was not automatic, you still had to use the shift kick lever. It was slow and the engine screamed at 70mph but was a fun and easy bike tor ide.

Third bike was a blue 1984 Nighthawk 700s. A bike truly ahead of its time with hydraulic lifters, shaft drive, 6 speed tranny, gear shift indicator, and other features that were uncommon. I sold this bike 20 years later when I got married...she didn't want me riding.

4th bike was a read 1985 Nighthawk 70ss that I bought for 200 dollars from a classified ad newspaper. It was supposed to be a parts bike for my blue 700s and the owner said the engine was seized. My kid brother and I drove almost 200 miles to buy it and load it back home. After I haggled the sller down to 200 dollars and got title in hand, I tried to troubleshoot the bike. The engine would not crank or push start and it truly felt seized up. The engine oil smelled like gas and my brother and I looked at each other and bust out in a big grin. We ran down to the local automotive store and picked up some oil and in front of the previous owner, pulled the spark plugs and let the starter spin the engine to de-flood the engine. The cylidners were completely hydrolocked with fuel and after deflooding it, a quick oil change got it fired up. I rode this parts bike home with no problems. A 20 dollar fuel petcock later and it was as good as new. This bike had less than 3000 miles on it when we purchased it. It stayed in our family for almost 25 years and I restored it to new condition just before I got married. Like the blue 700s, it got sold too.

MB's have been an alternative to motorcycles that my wife tolerates. I love tinkering and building these things and they keep my satisifed with riding on two wheels.

Lot's a bikes !!!

Yz-80
Ke-100
Yz-250
67 Triumph 650 Chopper ( Custom )
Gs450l
Sportster 1000cc
Gs450e
Gs550e
Katana 1000
Gs1100e
Over 100,ooo Rode Miles, And My Worst Injury Was When My Bike Fell On Me While Removing Rear Wheel...

I Guess It's Quit While Your Ahead !!!!!

Wow, great question and I can't remember them all but here goes:

Mini-bike 3.5 hp. (I was about 9)
Vespa scooter 190 cc 4-speed (I used it to ride in the fields)
Yamaha 125 enduro (In college)
Yamaha Virago 700 (first real street only bike)
Honda xlr 450
Honda Goldwing 1200
Harley Sportser 883
Yamaha virago 600
Suzuki Intruder 900
Yamaha Virago 800

And now....building an MB from a Cranbrook Cruiser, 50 cc 2-stroke and BMP friction system.

I think that's all of them, I wish I still had them now.....but, I will love my MB.

Bill

well I've been riding Dirtbikes since i was 8. I'm 14 now but i love riding both. I would have an actaul motorcycle but i dont have a drivers license or a bike license. When im 18 im getting a street bike.

Yes,many over the years and still do,DKW 125,DKW 350,Suzuki 380,KAW 550,Yamaha RD 400 and Yamaha XS400.All 2 strokes except the last one.I liked 3cyl 2 strokes best,smooth, light&powerful,but gas hogs compared to 4 str.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the 3 cylinder 500 which was the only bike I had ever been on at that time, early 70's, that would pull the front wheel off the ground just from getting into the power curve of the engine at full throttle. Not popping the clutch, just driving down the road, opening the throttle to wide open in like 3rd gear and it would accelerate for a bit but when it got into the right rpm range, the wheel would start to come up!!!. I can't imagine riding a 900 built the same way. White knuckle indeed.

Bill

yea I rode the Kaw 500 once same thing..fast I have not seen ether one of those still on the road down here in Florida or for that matter any of those older 2 stroke blasters...maybee no interest in restoring them?? see some nice older honda 4 strokers every now and then.

Yes,all those KAW's were scary beasts,very 'nonlinear' throttle response.The 3cyl 750 was beyond scary for me,more like borderline lethal,so I chickened out with a 550.That one was bad enough.The trouble is that everything else seems dull&tame.There was no 3 cyl 900 as far as I know.Their nimble little Ninja 250 is quite potent and really fun to ride.Not that expensive either 3kB I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey DU remember that three cyln. KAW900..Had a few miles on one of those late 60s or early 70s....white knuckle special

I kept trying but never could beat the Kaw 900, my Yamaha just couldn't do it. I thought about getting the 900, but just never did it. Probably saved my life, LOL.

Back