How Many Miles Did You Get On Happy Time before the times became unhappy ?

Just so long as unrealistic appraisals of HTs don't go unchallenged because I read a lot of tosh about these appalling pieces of badly made poor quality junk.

Actually, you are the one being unrealistic.

Irish John said:
Linnix 13 was one of the lucky ones. His motor is one of the 2% that don't break.

You claim a 98% failure rate, which is utter hogwash. Your opinion is unrealistic and should be challenged.

challenge noted !!! false statement made.................

You claim a 98% failure rate, which is utter hogwash.

Your opinion is unrealistic and should be challenged.

challenge noted !!! and statement investigated !!!

we have put this 98% rate by those in the know about MB engines

conclusion -- false statement made..........................................

but -- we all still get to ride those things -- all is alright still

Sounds like the HT

Is a engine for those of us who enjoy working on engines..
I'll stick with my Tanaka, Becuse I really just want to
RIDE THAT THING !!!!

The engine is quite reliable and I have no problems with it. I'd say the majority of problems are due to using stock hardware and not using loctite on everything. The HT engine needs a little prep work before install but if done, is very reliable.

Just so long as unrealistic appraisals of HTs don't go unchallenged because I read a lot of tosh about these appalling pieces of badly made poor quality junk.
I don't agree, IJ

I've had a HT (Skyhawk) for over 2 years and I've covered 3,500 kms under motor-assist and 9,000 kms overall. I did install a new sparkplug thread. That's all.

The bottom line is that there is nothing in a HT and they should not fail. If you have a problem, then change your supplier - simple.

isnt it all variable?

so i guess im very lucky then huh? i bought my first ht before i knew this forum existed( last summer) and i only bought on on ebay from powerking and as you see its still amazing me, im now afraid its going to explode and take my legs of cause everyone says there ****. read on but i think it was well worth it.

i got my HT more than 3000km ago and it keeps getting better and better! the first 500km were horrible because i ran a 14:1 mixture and only rode for 30 min at a time and i only went 20kph. but i think the break in is very important as i now run 20:1 and i can do 50kph for over 4 hours a day nonstop and it STILL runs great, also i noticed that if you engine break down a hill its getting no gas and dont two strokes need gas to be lubricated? so whenever i go down a hill i pull the clutch in and let it idle. also my clutch is begining to slip a bit but hey, it has got more than 3000km on it. infact i used the stok spark plug up until 100km ago. so i dont see it failing anytime soon and i definatly have got my 200 bucks worth out of it. but when it does fail i might get a higher quality engine or just get the same one again. oh and during initial prep i replaced ALL the bolts with higher quality ones and all the threaded rod and all the nuts and i used red loctite on everything. i also devised my own chain tensioner out of UHMW Polyethylene. we will see how it fares this summer with 30c weather but it ran good through the salt snow and -19c weather we had here.

Last edited:
a happy Happy Timers ----- linnix13

i bought my first ht before i knew this forum existed its still amazing me

i got my HT more than 3000km ago and it keeps getting better and better!

i can do 50kph for over 4 hours a day nonstop and it STILL runs great

soon and i definatly have got my 200 bucks worth out of it.

it would be nice to hear THINGS such as this more often

ride that MB thing

it would be nice to hear THINGS such as this more often

ride that MB thing

I agree Mountainman but it would entail telling whoppers. Like the comment above that implies the motor sits on 50 km\hr for 4 hours a day since time immemorial yet the engine has only done 3000 kms. That sort of use would put 2800 kms on the clock in 14 days! Is it any wonder I'm cynical about a claim like that. I've ridden 18,000 kms on HTs and the best I got was about 4800 kms out of a Grubee Skyhawk 48cc with an engine rebuild and plenty of other fixing along the way. I break every engine in gently but the lifespan of these motors is NOT good and if you ride them a lot you should stop to cool down every 20 mins. I also know that anyone who can get 50 km\hr out of an ordinary HT without additions needs to check the calibrations on the speedo. Also at that speed the motor WILL NOT LAST LONG. Why tell whoppers on a forum that knows about these things. It's so preposterous it is funny.
Good luck Hybriped I believe everthing you've written and I've seen the videos of your bike. You have a good motor and you ride it with respect for it and it will serve you well but 3000 kms is not much for a motor and I'd like to know the final mileage when it eventually breaks a top or bottom bearing. My guess is 5500 kms because you treat it so well. 6500 tops.

I don't think I actually lucked out on my engine. For the first 2 thousand miles it was castor oil at 6 oz to a gallon. Then I got sloppy with the mix and then my bearing failed.
Also I ran it hard towards the end what a no no.
My DAX engine from the used engine deal I made with him is running now. And this time I will NEVER go above 15 mph and will NEVER give it more than 3/4 throttle.
That's how to make an HT last. Baby it like it's gonna break if you don't and it's pretty accurate.
These MB's really should be run slow anyway. It actually looks way cooler in my eyes and it shows the world you are on a bicycle instead of a small motorcycle.

I totally agree Large. You describe exactly how to get the best out of the HT. I needed to ride too far too often and the engines do not like that. I treated them well but I would sit on 35 km\hr for 30 minutes then have a 10 min break and do another 30 km. I'd ride 60 kms 5 days a week. I notice that the ones I built & sold to old guys who ride really slow (max 28 km\hr) and only go on short trips of 5 kms max have had well over a year of trouble free use and I service their bikes and notice that they all run really sweetly. The bikes I built for people who expected to travel 30 km runs frequently all gave big trouble and when they saw me go over to 4-stroke they moved over too. I cannot warranty the HT but I give 12 month warranty on the 4-strokes because I know they don't give any problem. I even fix the shaft key on the drive sprocket once for free if they snap it. It's very easy to shear it and once is usually enough to stop you doing it again. Another thing, I won't build bikes for rev-heads and idiots and that means a lot of the youngsters don't get one from me. I know all the HT riders around here because it was from here that the first Grubee kits were sold in Australia and when I say these motors break very easily I'm talking from experience. I bought the remaining Grubee kits off the guy who first sold them in Australia plus a lot of his tools etc and he got out of it because the breakages were becoming a nightmare for him. He didn't ride anything like as much as me and he hadn't learnt all the tricks we use on MBc to build these things as reliably as possible so he really had a lot of unhappy customers. I'll only build HTs for people who want to do small distances and who ride really slowly. They are good for that sort of use but it's all 4-strokes these days because people can see them on the roads around here and they love what they see.

we think that we are getting a good picture here

I treated them well but I would sit on 35 km\hr for 30 minutes then have a 10 min break and do another 30 km.

I notice that the ones I built & sold to old guys who ride really slow (max 28 km\hr) and only go on short trips of 5 kms max have had well over a year of trouble free use and I service their bikes and notice that they all run really sweetly.

The bikes I built for people who expected to travel 30 km runs frequently all gave big trouble and when they saw me go over to 4-stroke they moved over too.

I cannot warranty the HT but I give 12 month warranty on the 4-strokes because I know they don't give any problem.

Another thing, I won't build bikes for rev-heads and idiots and that means a lot of the youngsters don't get one from me.

when I say these motors break very easily I'm talking from experience.

I'll only build HTs for people who want to do small distances and who ride really slowly.

we think that we are getting a good honest picture here -- thanks Irish John

that was the main reason for the starting of this thread
for ones thinking about buying HT motors
what they may truly expect ???

ride that MB thing

Back