How many mods have you done to your Whizzer?

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by RdKryton, Dec 6, 2008.

1. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

As the title asks, how many mods have you done? I guess the is just a thread to compare and brag.
    I started with a 2000 WC1.
    I have a modified NE cylinder
    A milled and reworked (special) head .070
    Hi-lift cam
    Mushroom lifters
    26mm carb with a 110 hi speed jet
    Advanced timing from from 14 to 24 degrees BFTDC
    Hi flow muffler insert
    70mm auto clutch. (going back to 90mm in the spring)
    Rear drum brake set up from Whizzer
    I am very pleased with the results of all the mods. A few member here have ridden my Whizzer and they agree it is pretty quick for 8.42 cubic inches. I just love the simplicity of the old flat head engines. I want to ride. Is it spring yet? They are calling for a little snow tonight. Nutz...

Jim

PS That picture still has the 22mm carb. All of my modified parts except the 26mm carb came from you know who. Thanks Quenton.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008

2. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Jim,

Don't forget the advanced camshaft, aluminum intake manifold, special "mushroom" lifters, and the newly modified automatic clutch [still on my work bench]. Not only is it a "powerhouse" but looks great also.
    Have fun,

3. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Oh yea. lol
    Thank you. That means a lot coming from you.

Jim

4. Mods to Whizzer?

Hi guys, I run mine dead stock. I even leave the origional oil in them as long as I can so they stay completely stock! Sine I weigh only 100 lbs soaking wet (times 3.......) I feel no need for any extra power. A couple of my bikes even have the origional air in the tires!!!

Here is one of my bikes, it is a WC-1 engine, small pipe, small valves, early springs WC-1 cam, stock WC-1 lifters. I did change the frame a little, and used one of those huge 22mm carbs off of an NE5.

Ohhh, yeah, this bike is origional finish (never been repainted), BUT this is the 2nd set of tires and wheels, so the air is not origional either.

See?

Mike (way out west) Simpson

Attached Files:

5. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

That sure looks bone stock to me. Oh wait let me put on my glasses.

Jim

6. Quenton Guenther

Hi Mike,
    I like the way you glued the external rockers on top of the head for "effect" [scares even me, lol]. I also like the way you painted the "stock" exhaust pipe.
    Of course I must say the original paint is nice.

Mike, What a great looking 2 wheel masterpiece......

Have fun,

7. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Lets' see, so far my 2005 NE5 has the mushroom lifters, the timing advanced one tooth, the restrictor opened up and hi-flow muffler insert. Waiting in the wings is a milled head that Quenton originally worked up for RdKryton with the copper head gasket.
    Non-engine mods include a classic chrome gooseneck and half-moon handlebars, vintage pedals, a vintage style springer seat with crashrail, two-tone paint and my "custom" turn signals. :helmet::helmet::helmet:

8. Quenton Guenther

Ok, I want to play.
    I have a WC-1 motor that still uses the original crankcase, crankshaft & rod, CDI, coil, and bolts & nuts that fasten the cylinder to the crankcase. The rest has been changed. This motor has never been on a Dyno, but is by far the fastest motor I ever built, yes it is the motor that pulls wheelies and did win all entered classes in the dirt drags in both 2007 & 2008.
    The actual [partial] list of modifications includes, head [major changes], cylinder [major changes], piston [very different], camshaft [re grind], lifters [very, very, very special, no additional comment], custom made head gasket [.010" copper], head bolts [replaced the 2 larger 10 MM with 8 MM], balanced flywheel, ignition, side cover, motor mounts, carburetor [26 MM], modified exhaust pipe, installed crankshaft spacers, advanced camshaft, valves [no additional information offered], valve springs, valve seats, valve guides, gaskets, special internal oil breather system, spark plug, 130 main jet, and modified exhaust manifold to mention a few. Motor has 165 pound of compression and uses hi test. Might try serious racing fuel or Nitrous Oxide later just to watch the belt burn, or clutch go into orbit.
    I also have 4 additional test motors in boxes including the "slower" 68 MPH motor. The motor on my 2003 Panther sports a Westman cylinder, Crystal Engineering tri-chamber head, Raceway products camshaft, custom made copper head gasket, 5/16" headbolts, mushroom lifters [By Gerd Lowack], balanced flywheel, aluminum clutch pulley [custom made], crankshaft spacers, special valve guides, toyota valves, heavy duty progressive valve springs, valve spring shims, 15/16" intake port, wider chrome rims, upgraded white side wall tires, and re-worked ignition system.
    My 1999 Whizzer has highly modified NE cylinder, Crystal Engineering head, PC camshaft, modified mushroom lifters, custom made copper head gasket, 40 degree BTDC ignition, modified clutch, 26 MM carburetor, custom made intake manifold, tapered intake port, no muffler insert, NE side cover, progressive valve springs, valve spring shims, modified exhaust manifold, wider chrome rims, upgraded white sidewall tires, fender tips, HD turn signals, rear chrome rack, right side mirror, modified automatic clutch, and tachometer.
    Sorry but forgot to mention all motors are un-restricted, including my wife's maroon 2001 Pacemaker II. Wife's record holding motor [fastest time at Paducah, KY in 2005] uses the "Weber" head, hi-lift proto-type camshaft, mushroom lifters [vintage set I modified on lathe], HD valve springs, 26 MM carburetor, Tom Hand muffler insert, larger exhaust pipe, seven 8 MM head bolts and 2 studs, deluxe hand controls, wind shield, tachometer, wider chrome rims, upgraded tires, fender tips, and original 2001 automatic clutch.
    I would continue, but tired of typing.
    Have fun,

9. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

You win....

10. ren

ren Guest

I have a 2007 NE5 with the following mods.
    Enlarged the restrictor plate,
    Manifold kit cut down to 1/2 inch and made all new gaskets from carb to motor for better flow,
    Hi-flow muffler insert,
    Head milled and reworked and a copper head gasket,
    Modified mushroom lifters,
    Cam was already advanced one tooth, reasembled the same way,
    Iridum spark plug,
    Needle clip moved to second notch from top,
    K&N air filter,
    Modified clutch hub,
    Charge port next to the right hand side of the battery cover for easy charging of the battery,
    Delux hand grips,
    Turn signals,
    tachometer,
    Luggage rack,
    Taillight cover,
    NOS Whizzer leather electrical cover with Whizzer embossed on the right side,
    Clamp on style mirror,
    Leather tool bag,
    Leather saddle bags,
    Model A taillight,
    Insulating heat wrap on the exhaust,
    Removed the gas cap vent,
    Painted the heat shield and belt cover,

I think that's about it.

Randy

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
  11. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Wow!! How can I follow Quenton, Motorbike Mike & Ren!! You guys have nice bikes.
    Well here goes:
    99 WC1
    NE upgrade (with Quenton's special touch, tweaks ,what's the correct term?)
    26mm carb
    Hi Flow muffler insert
    NE cam advanced 1 tooth
    automatic clutch
    tachometer
    updated crankcase breather
    tappet cover work to make it stop leaking
    bolt & nut in exhaust mainfold so exhaust pipe stops falling off

I'll never be done. Quenton told me at the Rally "you have to decide how far you want to go". With me there's no end. Especially after I rode Quenton's wheelie machine at his house. The latest thing that haunts me is the cylinder Quenton showed me at his house that had the intake bored out to 26 mm all the way into the valve (I think I have that right).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  12. Quenton Guenther

Hi Jay,
    There ya go again.......stretching the facts, ha ha ha. The "short" straight intake port is only 25.4 MM [1"], but after I polish it a few more times it might get closer to the 26 MM, after all .6 MM is only .0236". When you mount a 26 MM carburetor and increase the intake valve to 1.338" [34 MM] things tend to get very radical.

Have fun,

13. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I don't even know anymore... I can't keep straight which engine went to which bike...
    LOL! Usual whiz mod.s but now I've got two of 'em all torn apart- The wc1 from the x-country adventure is in pieces in a box on the shelf in my shop above the bike it powered; my Quenton Special ne5 is half disassembled as is the 1950 DX it's mounted on. The almost stock ne5 is in a box untouched waiting for something.

14. ren

ren Guest

Added a couple more

I have a 2007 NE5 with the following mods.
    Enlarged the restrictor plate,
    Manifold kit cut down to 1/2 inch and made all new gaskets from carb to motor for better flow,
    Upgraded fuel line,
    Hi-flow muffler insert,
    Head milled and reworked and a copper head gasket,
    Modified mushroom lifters,
    Cam was already advanced one tooth, reassembled the same way,
    Aftermarket crankcase breather,
    Iridium spark plug,
    Needle clip moved to second notch from top,
    K&N air filter,
    Modified clutch hub,
    Charge port next to the right hand side of the battery cover for easy charging of the battery,
    Deluxe hand grips,
    Turn signals,
    tachometer,
    Luggage rack,
    Taillight cover,
    NOS Whizzer leather electrical cover with Whizzer embossed on the right side,
    Clamp on style mirror,
    Leather tool bag,
    Leather saddle bags,
    Model A taillight,
    Insulating heat wrap on the exhaust,
    Removed the gas cap vent,
    Painted the heat shield and belt cover,

I think that's about it.

Randy

15. frenchlayer

frenchlayer Member

2005 Ne5
    Quenton milled head
    copper head gasket
    hi flo muffler insert
    corian restrictor plate, opened up
    mushroom lifters
    maxxis hookworm tires
    sturmey archer front drum brake
    nexus 3 speed internal shifter coaster
    new aluminum wheels and 10g ss spokes
    removed rear fender and mounted taillight and signals onto rear rack
    front leather tool bag
    k&n air filter
    cam advanced 1 tooth
    halcyon goggles
    upgraded fuel line
    soon to add tach
    new handlebar (semi straight)
    :helmet:

16. Screech

OK this is from my faded / jaded /feeble memory...

Original bike a (1960something) I think 68 Schwinn Phantom.
    Originally built for a speed builders contest with rules governing - NO Manufacturers Logos.. Hence the Schwinn headbadge was / is Upside Down.
    It took 1st place. Originally built by Dave Miller Concepts Fullerton CA. He sells his Mini Bonanza Old school mini bikes with the Hodaka Super Rat 100 cc motors for over 5,000.00.

Then I got IT!!

WC1 was upgraded to Qs early NE head, with mushrooms, early high lift cam. 26 mm carb.
    No regrets.....It does 50 mph no problem.
    Rear wheel replaced with a freewheeler so Hydro disk brake could be used. I like to pedal backwards.
    Brooks 99 saddle (they stopped making these due to high cost/low sales) 149 LIRA holy motha that was over 220 $$ American Schlotskis...
    Whizzer USA auto-clutch (what a JOKE) untill the MASTER Quenton (Lee) did his magical bearing race hardened miracle fix. Two trips to the East Coast.. Don't ASK!!
    New tires Dyna Fireballs. You don't need a flat. So take all preventative measures, plastic liners, heavy duty everything. (If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand)
    All new levers / and or modified stock ****..

Was it worth it? To Me it was / is..... It's not done yet. But man what a RIDE...
    It is still a work in progress.

IMG_0975.jpg

17. bill green

bill green Member

Zombie I said it before and ill say it again (SWEET RIDE).............Bill

18. Your Turn

Thanks Bill. I've admired your bikes too - so share some of those secrets here.

19. btf331

btf331 Member

whatt dual pipe

Zomby i would love to see how you did the dual pipes thats hot. I want to do that. Is it noisy?

Brandon Friedman
    Long Island, New York

20. Duals

I currently have them apart making some rear sheath adjustments. I'll take some pics as I reassemble them. They are made in 4 pieces. I really like the way they sound. Pretty throaty but not obnoxius.