How Many States Allow Motorized Bicycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS

Mississippi treats a MB as a motorcycle... and everybody working for the state gov't will tell you that you cannot register a motorized bicycle as a motorcycle, even a custom-built one. They just don't know, and it's prolly not worth the trouble trying to register it with people who don't know anything about their job.

I don't think any cop around here would actually enforce any motorcycle laws (reg, ins, etc.), tho, other than the safety ones like helmet and headlight. Even a regular bicycle is mandated to have a headlight visible from 500 feet away, but I'm the only bicyclist around here who actually has one.

And just so everybody knows... riding a MB at night without a decent headlight is friggin' st00pit. If you don't learn from others' mistakes, you will learn after you're picking dirt outta your skin, break some bones, bust your lip... somethin'. See and be seen!! ... or stay inside.

Colorado: Legal with no DMV requirements but not on the trails according to the book lol.

Legal in PA as long as under 50cc, can be powered buy pedals, under 23? mph.
no reg,lic,insur.It is referred to as a motor assisted bicycle.
Chuck

Chuck - I wish you were correct. According to Pennsylvania's DMV, motorized pedalcycles require registration, titling, insurance, and a valid driver's license. The regulations are listed here.

I've copied the relevant portions below:

DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven
cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.

CRITERIA:
1. Engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
2. Engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower rating.
3. Operable pedals required.
4. Automatic transmission required.
5. Design speed may not be more than 25 miles per hour.
6. Does not require inspection.
7. Moped plate issued.
8. Annual registration fee is $9.00.
9. No helmet or eye protection required for driver.
10. Class C required on Driver’s License.

Even with that being said, I don't know of anyone who has actually been able to successfully register a motorized pedalcycle in Pennsylvania.

HTH,

Ken

VA: Refered to as Mopeds; Legal under 50cc, not able to accelerate above 30mph, above 35mph treated as a motorcycle. No riding on the highway.

I wish we could have gotten that spreadsheet thing to work for vBulletin. Oh well, let's keep this thread going anyway. We still need quite a few more responses to complete a list of what we think we know about MB laws in the U.S. Please add or correct the list where possible!

========

AL - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night.
AK -
AZ - yes, if under 48cc & 20mph.
AR -
CA - yes, if under 2hp. must also pay for one-time registration.
CO - yes, but kill engine on trails or at least be extra respectful of other pedestrians.
CT -
DE -
FL - yes, if
GA -
HI - unsure
ID -
IL - no
IN - yes, if under 50cc, 2hp, & 25mph.
IA -
KS -
KY -
LA - yes, if under 50cc (tho trikes are NOT included in definition of a bicycle).
ME -
MD -
MA -
MI -
MN -
MS - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night.
MO -
MT -
NE -
NV -
NH - yes, if
NJ -
NM -
NY -
NC -
ND -
OH -
OK -
OR - yes, if
PA - yes, if under 50cc, 25mph, & 1.5 bhp. must also have DL & pay $9 annual registration.
RI -
SC - yes, if under 25mph.
SD -
TN -
TX -
UT -
VT -
VA - yes, if under 50cc & 30mph.
WA - yes, if under 50cc & 30mph. must also have DL & tag.
WV -
WI -
WY -

Does anybody know the laws in Colorado? I have been riding since May and have not had any problems but still would be nice to know the actual law

I want to believe but there's some gray around stipulation #4.

4) Complies with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Then the actual Mass general law is even more obtuse:

CHAPTER 90. MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT

MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 90: Section 1C. Motorized bicycles and scooters; compliance with federal standards

I know some here have registered MBs in Mass.....I think it's the 'don't ask-don't tell' school of thought that gets it done. The dreaded abbreviation for MBs is D.O.T.

RMV in Mass

I know some here have registered MBs in Mass.....I think it's the 'don't ask-don't tell' school of thought that gets it done. The dreaded abbreviation for MBs is D.O.T.

I'm working on a list of Mass RMV locations that WILL accept a motorized bike registration without questions or making you get a VIN.

When I went to the Beverly RMV they wanted me to pay $50 to get a VIN for which my bike would NEVER pass the inspection. I heard that the Lowell RMV will pass without question or VIN.

I was in framingham for work and went to the RMV there and they took my $40 and gave me a sticker. No questions asked and I didn't even fill out the year or VIN on the form. I had planned on saying "unknown" for the year, i THINK it's a 2004 but I don't know for sure :D But the guy just too my $40 and went on his way. Fast and efficent.

I have a schwinn occ stingray I'm working on and I'm going to stop at the Melrose RMV to see if they will register it.

If your state goes out of their way to recognize a motorized bicycle in any way, that means it's legal. It's only the states that don't recognize MBs where there's a problem, because their outdated definition of a motorcycle would include a MB. I've yet to hear of any state that has specifically outlawed MBs, but hopefully we'll know for sure when this list is complete.

The dreaded abbreviation for MBs is D.O.T.
Actually, the D.O.T. has a good opinion of MBs. So long as it doesn't go more than ~20mph, it's considered a bike to them. I'd rather a national acceptance of MBs to travel at 20mph or less than let states pick and choose whether to regulate them and at what speed. Sometimes I don't understand this government one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back