How Many States Allow Motorized Bicycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus regarding regulations?

I don't think these homemades should need to be registered or insured if they can't go over 30 mph. Any pedacycle can do 30+ down hill and there are a lot of hills in Vermont.

I do think they should have some minimum inspection standard.

I use mine to commute and run errands so I like being seen and having brake lights.

I don't think insurance should be required.

I want to talk to my state senator about the possibility of getting the rules relaxed.

Mouchyn, that is not correct. I have posted correspondence stating otherwise

I know that, now. Thanks!

I am playing phone tag with the Brazos County Attorney's office regarding their interpretation. Under their instruction, TAMU PD is prosecuting to the fullest...

After solving the lighting issue I learned through legal/police sources that motorized bicycles can not be driven legally on the public roads in Illinois. I'm wondering how many states allow legal use of MB on the streets. Is it 10, 20,
40, or is every state like Illinois. Please respond if you know for sure about your state. Mike S

Mike, have you been pulled over in IL? I've gone about 400 miles so far (most of them back and forth to work - 20 miles each way) and have seen several police officers....never had a problem. Did you have a problem or are you just worried about having a problem? I don't disagree with you about IL laws....been down that long and fruitless road myself now and just decided to ride it and worry about it if I have a problem.

Let me know and thanks,

Warner

Tracked a motored bike rider down who has been driving a under 50cc friction drive for several years, in Wood River, Il. He had vision problems and could not drive a motor vehicle.
I am trying to track that fact down through the Il Dept. of Transportation. Can not find anything at there on-line site that is specefic. Have made two calls and not found the right person. They are having severe cut backs on staff and not responsive to giving out advice.
If your are from Illinois, you should know that the Illinois State Police make everyting illeagl. From then on, it is up to the citizens to protest and petition to have it , the law, changed.
I am on a quest to come up with a defined answer and picture of what a motor assisted vehicle or motor assisted Bicycle is. Will inform you if I can come up with an answer.

Good luck....I've been down that road already. Here is what you will find, after digging enough. They will classify them as mopeds, with the same rules, etc. But here's the catch....since a bicycle doens't have a VIN that was issued by the DOT, you'll NEVER get a title for it, thus you won't be able to register it as a moped, either. There is a "specially constructed vehicles" division that does inspections of custom made vehicles, but even if you could get them (it's ONE person!) to call you back (which I couldn't), the bike would fail immediately as the tires aren't going to be DOT rated, right off the bat.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything different,

Warner

That's a relatively new law in IL from what I recall. It wasn't like that even before July. Hopefully that's enough to plead ignorance and get away with a slap on the wrist... because I just bought my motor kit.

I rode into work again today (20 miles each way) without incident. This is my 10th trip in. I see cops and they see me (I'm sure often times without me seeing them first). I have yet to be hassled. I doubt if they even care. That's been my take so far, anyway......I'm just a guy on his way to or from work...trying to commute and save money.

Warner

I really think that the registration thing has more to do specifically with mopeds, and not our bikes. You'd be amazed at how popular those things are now... particularly in the city. There are actually moped "gangs" that meet up and ride around in groups causing havoc akin to Critical Mass. The two I know about (Peddy Cash and Murder Club) have a lot of underage and unlicensed riders... The registration and license requirements could just be a response to that.

sjackson,

On your theme of "moped gangs", I recently read an interesting series of blog posts by a scooter enthusiast who belongs to a scooter club which likes to push the limits of their rides -- they stage parking lot races, agility courses, and other fun pursuits. Their name? ****'s Fairies.

That still gives me a chuckle every time I think about it.

-AG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back