How Much Does An MB Really Cost?

How much do have into your "completed" MotoredBike?

• $200 or less

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • $300

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • $400

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • $500

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • $750

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • $1000

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • $1250

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • over $1250

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

augidog

Local time
2:22 AM
if you wanna give a brief description of your machine for reference please do, but you can vote without posting a reply if you want. what i'd like to do here is put a graph together that reflects the cost of a "completed project"...regardless of engine or kit, style or philosophy...how much did you spend before you were satisfied you'd met your personal MB-Goal?

the poll is multiple choice if you have more than one bike, thanks in advance for taking the time :cool:

Last edited:
It's been a movable feast.

3 years ago I would have said $200. That very quickly became $300.

That soon became tempered by reality. Not for performance and speed or gits and gats but for dependability/reliability and safety over the road in the long haul....and as much for the original bicycle as the power components IE: No more chinamart bikes.

Now, considering the above, IMO with reworking the various elements of the whole MB package (considering you are able and do the work yourself) I'd say standard retail will require an entry level investment between $600 to $800 with maybe the next tier of upgrading putting it at $800 to $1000.

The gas/ electric I am doing is around $250 and that cost reflects it being complete.
Of course, I have no idea of the time involved- multiples of time over any kit.

I have about $1,500 into my bike, including the cost of the bike (1994 Trek 920 singletrack that I bought at auction for $90).

Here's how my build unfolded:

During initial build, I replaced:

Pedals with metal cage bmx style pedals
Bottom bracket set – replaced with new guts
Seat post with Suspension seat post
Old seat with Cloud 9 seat
Rear wheel with heavy duty rear wheel (48 spoke heavy duty from Staton)
Tires - twice, before settling on the Specialized Armadillo Nimbus tires with spin skins liners – no more flats!
Replaced rear derailleur (that got bent somehow - prior to kit install)
Installed bicycle computer (speedo, odometer)
Installed tach/hour meter
Built and installed headlight system - 55 watt light, SLA battery
Installed Planet Bike super blinky tail-light
Built custom bracket and installed Transit Epic DX Panniers
Installed bar end mirror

And the recent or pending upgrades or replacements:

Stock forks with Rockshox Dart 2 Suspension forks
Front rim brakes with Avid BB7 Mechanical front disc brake
Rear brake assembly with Avid Single Digit 7 brake
Replaced Both brake cables –front with SRAM pitstop full metal jacket
Grip shifters, grips, and cables with SRAM 3.0 grip shifter set
Threaded headset (converted to threadless) with FSA the pig headset
Threaded stem with Sette Edge 2014 O/S Stem 31.8
Handlebars with Sette Duo O/S 31.8 Riser Bar 2014 2 ½” Rise
Brake levers with 09 Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers
Front wheel with Forte’ Terramax wheel with hub for disc rotor
Healight, horn, and kill switch with motorcycle type handlebar controls
Handlebar mount for Garmin GPS

Warner

Under $300.

Kulana Moondog $99
50cc HT engine w/steel cylinder sleeve $115
Chrome "retro" style headlight and bullet tail light $30
Puncture resistant tubes $14
Digital Speedometer/Odometer $10

Miles of smiles - priceless!

depends on what your building where you get parts, bikes can be had at garage sales for $20, engine depends on what you use could be the kit, a briggs or weedeater, briggs can be <>$50, a weedeater can be had for <$20 or free! if your not using the kit the drive can be the biggest problem i'll say $50

if i garbage picked most of the stuff i could prolly make one for $50

someone will probably say the cheap ways aren't reliable but if you know what your doing they can last along time and many miles.

When all is said and done, including redoing some things many times to get it the way I like, I'm thinking well over $1,000, but under $1,500.

well my trike will probably be around $150 when i'm done, the 3hp briggs was $60, bike frame made to trike will be free, drivetrain will be around 30-40 bucks

I'm not shy and afraid to say I have too much into some of my builds.

My fat tire builds are always between $1000 to $1500. Mainly due to electric/gas set ups.
Also costs with the Rear wheel-rim, and jackshaft set up. O' ya... lets be honest "experimentation and mistakes".

My Gebe/Staton set ups are always between $450 to $750 after the expensive kits. (expensive but very happy with them)

My HT builds are always between $150 to $300 depending on the bikes used with a few mods.
Mainly happy with them also for the cost invested.

Back