How nuch does your bike weigh?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by boyntonstu, Jan 3, 2015.

1. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Motorized bike vs 50cc scooter weight comparison.

The average 50cc scooter weighs 200 pounds.

That is why I like riding and lifting motorized bikes.

I also like driving nimble lightweight cars.

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

my old bike was a hefty son of a ***** at over 70 pounds, but my latest and greatest creation is around 40 pounds.

It's nice having speedy transportation that you can lift over fences and other obstacles.

3. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Sounds lean and mean.

40 pounds is 20% of a 200 lb scooter.

4. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

For those wondering how to weigh an MB, find a flat surface and put a bathroom scale down.
    Weight your front wheel, back wheel, and add them together.

5. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Here is another way (weigh):

Stand on a scale and record your weight.

Pick up your bike and see how much weight you gained.

6. jhammondcpa

jhammondcpa Active Member

7. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Yep, that's the harder and less accurate way ;-}

8. jhammondcpa

Holding the baby on the scale is a bit more challenging but effective! I had to weigh an airplane I built a few years ago and had to weigh all three wheels to get 800 pounds, too much for the bathroom!

9. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Your bathroom would be big enough for the 800 pound gorilla that everyone talks about.

Ever hear about the flying flea that is not capable of stalling or spinning?

Believe it or not, a 4 year old flew one!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  10. professor

professor Active Member

Bike one weighs 120 (79cc 3speed jackshaft)
    Bike 2 weighs 133 (212cc 3speed jackshaft, moped wheels, full suspension)
    I weigh 140.

11. highstrung74

highstrung74 New Member

considerablly more now that i put on a jack-shaft....but worth the weight by all means...if it were lighter(the jack-shaft kit) im certain it would be of cheaper quality and not nearly as reliable....they did their homework when putting the delux kit together at sick bikes...thanks again sick bikes...

12. jhammondcpa

Great video and good looking plane, you bring back lots of memories. Here is a shot of the 800 pound gorilla I built. Original and later with floats! SOA at Lee.jpg SOA w floats.jpg Cheers!

Attached Files:

13. Paul E.

Paul E. Member

Are you effing kidding me right now, j-ham? You've built a PLANE?

I will herefore and forevermore capitalize the 'j' in J-ham, and I'm not even kidding. You're like the Shackleton I know(just met). haha peace

14. jhammondcpa

Thanks for your kind words, you made my day! I ordered the plug and the carb filter already!

Jimmy H.

15. Paul E.

Paul E. Member

Haha, awesome! I'll be intensely interested in how the filter works out for you..I really, really was crushed to have to reinstall the plastic unit. Maybe I'll hold on to the one I have, just in case. :cool:

16. jhammondcpa

I ordered both parts from SIC bike parts this morning. Murray Siert in Omaha NE is a Phantom Bike kit builder! He and I have been working in tandem for several weeks after meeting on this site. We both agree that the looks are equally important in this business and that carb really pushed my buttons. I had switched to the NGK plug on my first build so that was a natural change! Stay in touch!

Jimmy H.

17. Paul E.

Paul E. Member

Sure thing, J-ham. good luck on your bike building business!

18. msiert

msiert Member

Hey Jimmy is it harder to land on water?

19. jhammondcpa

I sold the plane to a friend, that flew it as a tail dragger for a couple years but then converted it to a float plane. I never flew it in that configuration. Keeping the nose up to avoid chop was very important on both landings and take-offs, however the river he used was usually very calm and the winds were always predictable which made it less difficult. Sadly Doug bought the floats from another man that had built them and on the planes last flight one of the pontoons separated in the front which allowed water to enter and partially fill. He got off of the water, but could not keep an unbalanced over weight plane up and level and ending up crashing in the river. He was not injured but the "Spirit of Annapolis" never flew again. He gave me the builder's plate and a section of the fuselage cover with the name in a very large framed display that I keep in my work shed. It was 2 years of dedicating building almost every day or night, that I still look back at fondly. I'll send a picture of the framed pieces later today!

20. Paul E.

Paul E. Member

wow, what a sad story! glad no one was hurt though.