How often do you encounter other motored-bike riders?

How often do you encounter other motored-bike riders on the road?

• Daily or close to it (at least 3-5 times/week)

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Just about every week (1-2 times/week)

• A couple of times per month

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Infrequently -- a few times per year

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • Only at pre-arranged meetups or special events

• Does looking at yourself in the rear-view mirror count? (i.e. never)

Votes: 84 55.6%

• Total voters

AlphaGeek

Local time
1:42 AM
Today is the first day I've seen someone else with a gas motor on their bike -- on my commute home today, I looked over and saw a teenager putting along on a cruiser bike with a Happy Time type engine in Redwood City as I was buzzing along at 32.1mph. (Er, I mean 30mph, because that's the legal limit in CA. Yeah, it must have been 30mph. :cool:) He was even wearing a legal Bell half-shell helmet. Granted, it was stuffed on over his baseball cap, reducing its protective abilities (sigh) but at least he was wearing one.

To that point: how often do YOU see other motored-bike riders? Feel free to include friends, disciples, admirers, and other hangers-on you have converted to the cause -- it doesn't just have to be random strangers you see riding buzzbikes.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

-AG

Another thought I've been wanting to bring up for discussion: the wildly varying demographics of people you find on motored bikes. There are a couple of archetypes (groups who can be easily characterized by a simple profile due to similarities) that I've seen involved in motorized bikes, either in person or online:

* The weathered-looking blue-collar guy with, shall we say, license and insurance issues that keep him from getting behind the wheel of a car/truck/motorcycle. Likely to be spotted riding an inexpensive low-speed/short-range electric bike around a particular city or town.

* The teen or college-age rider for whom a car is not a good option due to expense or practicality of owning/parking said car. If asked will generally admit that parent told them that a motorcycle was Right Out and that they were a Very Bad Idea. One or both parents may be mechanically inclined and supportive of building a motorized bike, or even actively involved in the build. Typically found in or near suburban and college-campus environments.

* Hard-core eco-geeks on battery-powered bikes. Given the short range of e-bikes, it takes a special kind of lazy to justify needing motor power for a local commute -- especially when most of these critters live near where they work to keep their carbon footprint down.

* Retirees with more time than pedaling power. What's better than a nice bike ride on a fall day? How about one where you don't have to power-pedal up the hill to your house with both knees twinging from arthritis/tendonitis/etc.? Not likely to be spotted doing anything excessively stupid.

* Practical types (of all ages) with an inclination to tinker with and/or build stuff on their own. Lots of tools in the garage, likely to own a proper air compressor. Subscribes to MAKE magazine. Could be found anywhere, but more common in states friendly to motorized bikes.

Have I missed anyone?

-AG

I encounter other MB riders pretty regularly.Some are idiots,but most are good....just trying to find a sensible/fun way to get around.

NEVER IN NY, The traffic Nazi keeps the street clean!

I'll have you know I object to your stereo-typing Alpha! Unless like the forementioned by myself!

I've never seen another gas powered bicycle. Saw an electric one in a bike shop once. Anyone I ever see is pedaling.

I have a car and a valid license. I wish I could afford a real motorcycle. I ride a Happy Time like a maniac.

I think you've covered the likely types pretty well. But I can't be sure because I hardly ever see one. One time in this past summer I saw a guy with a yellow engine mounted rack-style. He was going away from us. I was on a pedal bike and my daughter was on my motored bike. I pointed and told her to catch up and introduce herself. But she was too shy. I haven't seen him since.

and I came across another guy sitting by his mini-van playing the guitar. In the back of the van was a stretch cruiser with a happy time on it. I stopped and talked with him. It was clear he was a local. So I didn't pin down just who he was; I figured I'd see him around. Haven't seen him since. I do recall, though, that he was one who had had driver's license issues.

I have seen one young man on a MB and talked with another --- two total

the first -- younger guy -- I have seen four or five times now
there is this place where I hang out at times down in town
many of us spend time on the large front porch of this business
there is a four way stop -- right there in front of us
this guy has a Happy Time -- so I always hear him coming
as he slows down a little -- then blows right through the stop sign
amazing -- I guess he has not received a ticket ----- yet..

the second young man yelled hi to me one day as I rode past
I turned around and stopped to talk with him
he told me that the next town over (pooolice) had stopped him and impounded his MB
impound cost were 3 or 4 hundred dollars -- he did not get MB out of impound
he also stated that he did not have a drivers license
he said that his MB was also a HT
not that I don't -- but -- he looked a little rough around the edges

off the subject a little --- gas powered scooters --- are VERY LEGAL HERE
I see many of these
mostly young guys -- riding really crazy
blowing through stop signs -- loud noise -- ride on the wrong side of road -- ect ect
I guess that the pooolice don't care at all -- in our town anyway
as we know all towns can make up there own so called laws
two adjoining towns to ours -- DO NOT ALLOW SCOOTERS

ride that thing

Last edited:
I'm awfully tempted to get one of those go-ped scooters with a Tanaka 47cc race motor on it. Disc brakes, full suspension, two-speed gearbox, unlimited fun potential. :)

Maybe next spring. Gotta get my buzzbike fully dialed in and upgraded to my satisfaction before I start any new projects. REI says my cargo rack came in (finally) so once that's done it's time to get the lighting squared away so I don't have to worry quite so much about getting home by dusk. Trail Tech HIDs... yum...

-AG

I voted daily because I live in a village of 8,000 and make and sell the bikes, everyone knows I'm the guy who builds "those bikes". They are common here.

Back