Tubes How often should you change your bicycle tubes?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Shadeslay, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Shadeslay

Shadeslay Member

I read in another forum of someone having a front tire blow out. And I have to admit it's a concern of mine. So I wanted to get a consensus of how often inner tubes should be changed.

I figure with the speeds we reach and the friction on the tires and tubes that every 6 months might be sufficient. What does everyone else think?

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I've never had a flat on the front, and the tires wear out nowadays, no problems with the tubes.

You just have to do the flat-proofing procedures as best you can, change them when they blow. The rear is the weak link.

I just rotate the tires front to back, re-use the same $10 tube.

3. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

When they won't hold air anymore. That's usually somewhere between the second and third patch.

4. Shadeslay

Shadeslay Member

So you guys just ride them like a bicycle.

Curious what flat-proofing you use, I assume you mean like kevlar tires, tire liner etc.

Any one have tubes they would recommend?

5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

There is a forum page devoted to Tires so I guess that's where this belongs (and will probably end up). I'd guess you'd find all the discussion you need there.

On the mention of blow outs (and crashes) there can be a lot of issues involved besides tubes........tires, mounting, spokes, rims. Rims can crack and/or be critically weakened by wear from rim brakes as well.

Above all the mechanical issues there are variables from operator to operator on given road conditions.

In the OP "I figure with the speeds we reach" was mentioned and contained within that statement is an insight already made.

6. Shadeslay

Shadeslay Member

My bad, didn't notice the tire forum page.

And thanks for insight on possible causes for blowouts.

7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Blowouts are generally tire failures. Inspect your tires before riding. Just change tubes when you change tires. Cheers

8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I only change mine if it bothers me & i'm rarely bothered thesedays.

9. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes why not -- getting a new tire -- why not add a new tube ???

have seen some really old tubes still holding air
    wouldn't want to push it on a motor bike doing speed with extra weight though

ride the MB thing

10. Shadeslay

Shadeslay Member

Sounds like a solid idea.

Like the ones in my mtn. bike with no motor, those are easily a year old with more then a few punctures sealed with slime. But I seldom reach 25+ mph on it and never for all that long.

11. seanhan

seanhan Member

My Take is that the Tire is more important...
    If you keep stuff away from the tube it will last a long time...
    Kevlar tires with liners....
    If the tubes are getting old and your taking the wheel off anyway.
    slap some new tubes on and keep your old ones for a emergency spare.
    That's my take on the tube issue ......

12. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

when they pop!

13. HERPER

HERPER Member

i think your best option is... since we all seem to be somewhat mechanically inclined.. check them once ina while.. if they look worn replace..

I bought kevlar tires, slime layer shield **** and "flat proof" inner tubes.. so if something goes.. its god telling me to die. haha

but again i still do check every now and then, especially when it sat over the winter

14. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

well i ride almost every day and i ride it very hard to. but whats even stranger is that i have never blow a front tire once. oh and btw what did you say that got blanked out here? "slime layer shield **** and flat proof" no swear seems to fit the bill?

15. HERPER

HERPER Member

16. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

ah ok. why is there no swearing here anyways? im sure that if were old enough to drive motorized bicycles than we are surly old enough to swear!

17. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Cos much younger ppl than us(M & F) visit this website & from my experience once ppl start swearing it developes into a little kids slanging match to see who can out-do each other......nothing gets done.

18. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

oh ok. a few stupid immature people ruin it for the rest so its best not to give them the chance.

19. Shadeslay

Shadeslay Member

Basically, at least from my experience