How to handle big down hills?

mcassMB6

Local time
10:51 PM
Took my bike for another break in this afternoon. I live near a lot of big hills. I know you're not supposed to accelerate going downhill, but should you just kill the gas going downhill or pull the clutch in?

Took my bike for another break in this afternoon. I live near a lot of big hills. I know you're not supposed to accelerate going downhill, but should you just kill the gas going downhill or pull the clutch in?

Pull the clutch in and save gas, and prolong engine life.

Manual clutch,Pull it in!
Auto clutch,shut her down.
This is where I like the centrifugal clutch. When the engine is shut off you could be roaring down a hill at 100 miles an hour. Those clutch pads will never engage cause it's not spinning. The drum's spinning.
With the manual clutch Happy Time it's a bit scary for your engine's life is dependent on that little clutch cable there. I feel a bit safer when I have my clutch mod:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8729
because it's less strain on the clutch cable.
Probably the best scenario here is a freewheel sprocket for no drag from your pull start engine and can keep the engine idling but you'll go down that hill even faster and you may not want that....but then again..

Back