How to make engine start easier?

Ben_Tam64

Local time
5:44 PM
I'm having some problems getting my bike started.

I am running a china engine.

I installed a sbp gear set on it, but i found it was too much effort to start the bike by pedaling.

So I bought a pull starter, and was able to start it twice.

However, sometimes it gets almost impossible to pull. Some times when I pull it is easy, and other times it locks up.

What are some things I can do to my engine to make it start smoother and more consistantly?

I had the same problem when I left out the bottom cylinder gasket and use Indian Head gasket instead. My fix, was to put 2 head gaskets on it. Works great now! Still get 37mph out of it.
Shorty

Thanks for your response.

I am confused as to how the addition of a gasket can help the engine start easier.

I am also quite new to engines and would appreciate if you explained a little more about how it works

If you put 2 head gaskets on, the head is raised up and you have a little less compression.

it could also make conditions more favorable for head gasket leaks because you added one more seam to it. i dont think it is compression making it do that. you might want to check your pull start bt pulling it while its off the engine, see if its hard or easy to pull then you can narrow it down to the engine or the starter. check for any rubbing in the engine and if its really bad i just posted in a thread about motorkote. apparently it reduces friction and makes things run smoother, i reccomend readin that thread and trying some. http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=24523&highlight=motorkote

Each to there own opinion. I'm no expert but, I could stand on the pedal after I put a shift kit on mine, and it wouldn't budge! I bought a pull start, and broke the cable second pull. Put in a new cable, and broke it the next day. Put in another cable, and broke the housing two days later. Had a friend that makes aluminum hand rails weld it for me. That almost lasted a week! Then got him to weld it again. That lasted another week.
Then loosened the spark plug, and could kick it to start and tighten the plug (that sucked).
Bought another head gasket, and put it on with "Indian Head Gasket", and it's been running great since. Just pick up the back wheel, and give it a half kick and it starts.
But this is the way I do it, and it works for me.
Shorty

The problem is with the engine. When I pull start, I feel a similar pattern of resistance when I try to pedal start.

It pulls well once or twice, and after that it sort of seizures and locks up.

I shall try adding an gasket I'll cut out from an auto shop. Perhaps that'll help it out. I don't have one on too at the moment.

Any one else have an idea on how to make an engine start easier?

I will second the added head gasket trick. Other things to check are that the pull starter is not binding as was already suggested as well as the fuel on, choke on and tickler method to ensure as quick a start as possible.

Probably the reason some times it is easier to pull than others is where the piston is in relation to the head when you first try and pull it. If the piston is near the top of the head when you pull it then you have no momentum and it hits maximum compression feeling like it is stuck. If you can get the piston just past that point then you will have almost a complete revolution of momentum in your pull before it hits the compression stroke.

I shall try adding an gasket I'll cut out from an auto shop. Perhaps that'll help it out. I don't have one on too at the moment.

The way that I read this part of your post, is that you don't have a head gasket on it now? If you don't have 1 on now, just put 1 gasket and try it.
Shorty

Back