How to mount my engine with a large downtube?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by StrontiumEthics, Mar 16, 2009.

1. StrontiumEthics

StrontiumEthics Motored Bikes Sponsor

how can I mount a HT engine with a larger down tube than the mounts support? I seen some pictures before but cant seem to find them anymore?

2. impression

impression Member

use a 'U' bolt. Go to bunnings with your bike, grab a few and see which one fits nicely around the frame.
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I agree....fab a small mounting plate with 4 holes -- 2 matching your engine studs --&-- 2 matching your U-bolt. (you'll need to remove the engine studs & replace them with GOOD bolts.)

a quick search of the term "U-bolt" found the following:
    here's a pic:

here's a link:
    be sure to read the correction info on post #30

best of luck...keep us posted.
  4. kallsop

kallsop Member

Depending on the size of the frame, just using longer bolts may enable you to use the existing bracket. My frame tube just fits inside the space between the two bolts, but the bolts are then not long enough to attach the bracket. If the bolts were 1/2" longer.... What's the thread size? Buy some threaded rod and make your own longer bolts? That's my plan, didn't get to Home Depot yet.

On a similar note, when I started to remove the exhaust port nuts the whole bolt came out of the head, both bolts actually. It is a black painted engine. Can you believe the dullards painted the whole thing with the nuts and washers on the exhaust bolts? (same for the engine mounts too).

Don't panic, just mount the exhaust and put the bolt back in, tighten, done. Loctite is a must on these engines.