Break In How to properly break in a motor

350zdrftr

Local time
10:05 AM
Ok yes I have searched for atleast an hour on here using the seach function. My new 80cc motor/66cc will be here Wednesday, I need to know how to properly break in the motor. This is the only thing I have found so far.
Proper oil/gas mixture but whats correct ratio?
Be easy on the throttle, no high RPM, just as in a car engine you have to give the rings time to seat.
Anything else I am missing? Thanks to all I can really use some solid advice

Just curious who you bought it from?
It's probably going to come with some kind of instructions......which
may be incomplete or just wrong.......

What I am telling my customers now for break in:
Most people say start with 8 oz oil to a gallon = 16 : 1
But 8 oz of oil is just too much in my opinion and experience

so I start with 7 oz to a gallon
I may even change that in the future to 6 oz

7 oz oil to a gallon = 120 miles
6 oz oil to a gallon = 120 miles
6 oz oil to a gallon = 120 miles
5 oz oil to a gallon = 120 miles
Total miles = 480 break in
4 oz oil to a gallon = 32 : 1 ratio is the final running ratio

Don't use less than 4 oz to a gallon

BikeBerry.com, although I kind of regret it , I ordered the kit last Tuesday and it wont be here till Wednesday.
Thanks for the guide for the ratio, one more question,
Can I mix like 5 gallons at a time? or do I need to do it right before I am ready to use it? thanks

Can I mix like 5 gallons at a time? or do I need to do it right before I am ready to use it? thanks
Well, initially you are going to be changing the oil / gas ratio every
gallon so how could you mix more than a gallon at a time?

How many miles do you ride a week?
A gallon should get you at least 100 to 120 miles unless
you ride really hard.....

Gas goes bad especially the carp we have here in CA
so i wouldn't mix more than you use in a week or less?

There will be many "opinions" including mine about 'ratio" and "break in"

I was speaking after breakin if anything would happen to the gas/oil mixture if it sat for a while. I suppose it would just be easier for me to do a gallon at a time I will only be riding 35-40 miles a week btw . And do you recommend synthetic oil ? I only use it in my vehicles along with high grade gas and occassionally octane booster . Is any of that a little overboard for these motors? Thanks

You don't want to use high grade gas ( hi octane)
Use the cheapest regular gas unless you raise the compression ratio

Do you know what the compression ratio is on the 66 cc 2 stroke?

I don't recommend using expensive oil either.....
Get 2 stroke oil for pre-mix and don't use 2 stroke marine oil

Compression ratio is around 6-1 so definately no need for high octane fuel. in-fact you would find better performance and less carbon buid up with lower octane fuel.

BSA

Thanks for the guide for the ratio, one more question,

Mixed gas separates rather quickly. 2-3 weeks in a gas can and you will have a performance issue. I once put new gas in my tank, but left the old gas in my two spare bottles, and hiccupped and sputtered all the way home.

After 3 weeks, pour it in your car and mix a new batch.

On the octane, when the big ethanol switch happened last June, I did a lot of checking, with distributors and chainsaw repair shops, they were recommending 89 octane, MAJOR brand (BP, Amoco, et al.) There is a big diff in the refining from the majors versus the discount brands re: ethanol, where the consistency/blend was better. (It had to do with "on site blending" that the discount guys had to do).

Once that break-in is complete, you can try going down to 87 and make your own decision, based on how the engine performs.

An easy way to vary the speeds is to "pick a target", 2/3 throttle to the big oak tree, 1/3 to the end of the fence, 1/2 to the red mailbox at the top of the hill. You just don't want to get in a rut on the throttle speed, nor hurry the break in.

Make the engine "sing", by playing all the notes on the engine noise scale.

I know 2 guys who got in a hurry on the wide open throttling, and they can barely hit 20 mph, while folks who get that cylinder seated properly say the engine gets stronger/faster as more miles pass by, because they did that varying throttling correctly.

Our local Lowe's store sells a brand that comes in a squeeze bottle, enough to mix 5 gallons at 50:1 (I use the Japanese engines), a good oil at a good price.

Last edited:
I read an article last month about the increase in business the lawn mower repair shops were having, since the ethanol switch last June, and the culprit was cheap discount gas, where they tested the blends, found them between 10-15-20% alcohol, no consistency.

When you buy Standard or Shell 10% ethanol, you are guaranteed 10%.

This is why we have to fight increasing the ethanol percentages, no-nothings in Congress are in Big Agriculture's pocket, irregardless of what the consumers/mechanics are reporting.

Last edited:
So I am getting mixed signals, should I be using 87or89 for break-in?
Points so far
1. Not high grade fuel
2. Conventional over synthetic oil but not marine
3. Vary the throttle for small trips
This thing is a toy for me and not a daily commuter after break in I do plan on switching to higher compression, synthetic , higher octane, colder spark plug and nitrous . Thats just based on what I know about my car and all of those will work well together if done correctly

Last edited:
Back