How to pump gas and oil mixture

bakermcmahon

Local time
2:00 PM
Hey, I'm really new to motorized bikes and I'm confused about when people talk about "oil mixure". When people say 16/1 mixture does that mean that one sixteenth of the tank will be oil. Is it just regular motor oil. And how do I put it in there when I'm at the pump. Thanks

there are 128 ounces in a gallon. so 1/16th of that is 8 ounces. so for a 16/1 ratio gas/oil you want to put in 8oz for every gallon of gasoline.
Pour it into the tank and then put in the gasoline. put the cap on and then move the bike left and right so the gas sloshes around and mixes good with the oil.
if you do this after having run out of gas then turn off the fuel petcock first. this keeps the oil from filling the petcock before the gas is put in. you don't want unmixed oil going down the line to the carb.

Jaguar is right about mixing. But no, you should not use motor oil. This is 2015 and there are a broad range of oils made just for premixing. Get something that is full synthetic or made with castor oil.

I tell my customers to never mix in the tank (seen too many fails doing this) always mix in a can that you can shake well, then pour from the can to the tank. On a long trip, I'll put enough oil into a 1/2 gallon jug, then fill the jug at a gas station, shake it well and pour into tank.

What I did was carry the right amount of oil in a glass container with some gasoline mixed in with it. Then I would pour that in before the tank was filled each time.
For a 20 to 1 ratio you would need 9.6 ounces 2 stroke oil to mix with 1.5 gallons of gas.
These weak engines don't stress parts enough to worry about using the best oil. I used different normal 2 stroke oils but finally used Maxima semi-synthetic only because I hate exhaust smoke.

4 stroke oil is thicker because it's used in the transmission as well. It may not even mix well with gas, I don't know.

I don't bother carrying a mixing container, I just dump a little bit of gas in the tank, throw in my oil, and then top it off

Back