How to put clutch shaft back without moving bearings?

Louie

Local time
11:09 AM
Recently had to replace my clutch shaft, but I can't figure out how to get it all the way back into the bearings without it sliding through one of the bearings and covering the key slot. I'll hammer it in almost all the way, and then the bearing on one side stops moving while the shaft keeps going. What do I do?

I use a socket large enough to cover the outer race & tap it in. Might be tricky if motor is still in bike.

Naw this is easy. Start by getting the bearing on the chain drive side, under the clutch arm cover, driven in, get the sprocket on and use a wrench to lock the sprocket up to make tightening the nut easier. Now you have 2 options, put the clutch arm cover on, and tap the bearing in, or put the clutch pad/gear thing in, then wrench lock your sprocket, and tighten the nut down. Option 2 is not as easy or even sometimes ineffective. A large sprocket on top to evenly press it in with a hammer is good usually. Sometimes if you have spare bearings you can use them, but they will be pressing then by the inner race, which isn't the best, according to many, I usually do it anyway.

Back