How to Trigger Traffic Lights!!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Email, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Email

Email Member

Use a Neodymium Magnet (can get them here).

I bumped into this today and finally found the solution I was looking for. I try to avoid the large traffic times, and often get stuck at a light until a car comes by (or I take right turns and make U-turns). I hope this helps some of you.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

well Email
    these stop lights have been a pain -- that's for sure
    THE WAITING IS THE HARDEST PART
    are you using this now ???

ride that thing

3. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

yeah I read about those a few months ago and forgot about them. Luckily here in TN they recently passed a law about bicycles and motorcycles, with all the weight sensors at traffic lights now, you don't have to stay stopped at a red light, if it's clear when you stop you can continue on your way. Whenever I do this, I always pedal. I've done this at a light only to see a police car coming toward me from the other direction, just after I had quit pedaling and given the throttle a good twist.
    Guess I'm just blessed with cops that just don't care about a motor bike, especially if you are wearing your helmet.

4. I push the signal button. I push it many many times.
    Why do I push it many many times?
    Because I believe that each time I push it,the next time will count.
    Help me.

5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Most of the time it's not weight. It's induction. That's why the magnet works.

6. kerf

kerf Guest

So you're saying, getting off my bike and stomping on the wire won't help. Might explain why I keep running lights.

7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

No. I encourage you to get off and jump up and down. But first, call me and let me know where and when.

8. kerf

kerf Guest

Now that you mention it, when people see an old fat man with a bike, jumping up and down in the middle of the street, they keep their distance.

9. Mountainman

go around him dad -- go around him dad !!!

can't blame them for wanting to protect themselfs and their familes

look dad -- the old guy just threw down his motor bike
    and is talking to himself
    while he jumps up and down

go around him dad -- go around him dad !!!

ride that thing kerf

10. kerf

kerf Guest

Did I mention I keep a feather headdress taped to my helmet?

11. Sometimes when you threaten the light to turn green it will.
    Those days make me happy.

12. Mountainman

push that thing four or five times

we all know that it only takes once

but - I always push it at least four or five times

ride that thing

13. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Magnets.....doesn't sound right.

14. heathyoung

heathyoung Member

They are an inductive loop, I never have that much trouble with them - even with a chromo frame, it still seems to work.

They sell the magnets for scooters/motorbikes etc - maybe they are less sensitive in the US?

15. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

less sensative,more sensative.....maybe that or work on a different principal.
    I'll try it anyway cos it annoys the heck out of me waiting for non-existant traffic. :-x

PS...i always thought they worked on the principal of minute changes in the earths magnetic field as a non alloy metal(iron/steel) moves over them.......the principal of the German Magnetic Mine did to ships in WW2.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008
  16. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

When something large and ferrous moves over a loop, it induces a current in it. The less iron, the less induction. the earth's magnetic fields have nothing to do with it. A magnet enhances the effect and mimics the effect of a larger piece of iron.

17. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I always seem to get stuck behind people - usually tourists (or tourons as we sometimes call 'em) who are waiting for the stop sign to turn green!

18. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

You reminded me of one of my favorite jokes:

Q: What's the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver?

A: The drunk driver will run the stop sign. The stoned driver will stop, and wait for it to turn green.

okay, okay, stop throwing rocks at me.

The magnet is a good idea. The same effect could be had with a 8" long piece of 1" keystock on a lanyard. A 1" by 1" by 8" piece of mild steel has other uses that are too... complicated to go into here.

seriously, any chunk of ferrous metal can set the light off, magnet or not. The big loop set into the pavement has an AC current going through it, which makes it resonate at a certain frequency. (like a radio antenna) When a big piece of metal gets near it, the frequency changes, the controller picks it up, and the light changes. Needs to be something solid though. The thin steel in some rims and in the spokes isn't enough.

Maybe the best way to think of it - it's a big metal detector.

Induction is one of the coolest electrical effects, IMO.

-Mark

19. Mountainman

low tec metal detectors in this town

they are not very high tec metal detectors in this town

because they sure don't know my MB is there !!!

oh well -- back to pushing the crosswalk button...

ride that thing

20. mabman

mabman Member

There is a light on my way in to town that I am going to try this on! Thanks for the tip.