how well does the coaster brake work?

S

sojudave

I was wondering with the bike being powered, even if they are just 50-70cc, how well the coaster brake works.

Coaster Brakes

Hi I have used coasters on most of my builds, especially since I like classic bikes. I stop my (mildly) hopped up 138cc Whizzer on a coaster rear, and drum front. I do also weigh about 275, so, go figure? Mike

Picture of my bike with the coaster brake.
1707_IMG_0603_3.jpg

Can coaster brakes get jamed or seized it using them while going 32 mph. I have, well had the brake pads that grab the rim's side of a bike. They worked fine. But they jamed up on me when I was using them to slow down when going around ?23 mph? :devilish: It actually caused my bike to skid about 10 ft while braking. The wheel disforming it broke 4 spoks while doing that. Which suprised me since I thought/knew that was a very strong rim.

I really want a good braking system for my bike expecially since I just bought a 36T sproket from Dax. So first of all I want to know how relighable coaster brakes are. Then second I would like to know with someone skiled how well coaster brakes would work along with disk brakes.
Thank You

sherryc8641 said:
Can coaster brakes get jamed or seized it using them while going 32 mph.
Yes, but not from just slowing down from that speed one time.
Coaster brakes use friction from metal shoes on a metal surface; they're supposed to always be packed with grease to moderate the grip. The danger with a motorized coaster-brake bike is that if you are lazy and backpedal while motoring down the road, the coaster brake will drag, heat up, melt the grease out and then the coaster brake may sieze the next time you try to use it.

Coaster brakes may grind a bit when new, but should quiet down after the shoes have seated in. If your coaster brake suddenly starts grinding a LOT, then stop using it, and get it looked at. The brake may just need grease or the shoes may be toasted already, but they're not expensive and any bike shop should be able to get you new ones. If you change them out yourself you'll need gear grease also. Ideally you want no air in the hub at all, it should be totally packed with grease.

This is also a danger if you live in mountainous areas, you should NEVER ride a coaster brake down a very long hill! They simply aren't made for it. If you live near big hills, you need to get some rim brakes or a disk brake/fork on your bike. (drum brakes tend to hold heat too, so they're not a real great choice either for hard use)

...I have, well had the brake pads that grab the rim's side of a bike. They worked fine. But they jamed up on me when I was using them to slow down when going around ?23 mph? It actually caused my bike to skid about 10 ft while braking. The wheel disforming it broke 4 spoks while doing that. Which suprised me since I thought/knew that was a very strong rim.
I've not heard of rim brakes siezing up before. If you're worried about using rim brakes, then you can try some of the better brands of pads for them like Salmon Kool-Stops.
~

Back