How wide is a Grubee 1 piece crank?

I

Irish John

I've searched the forum and I know the info is there but I need to know the width of that 1 piece crank that Grubee sell. Is it 6&1/2" or 5&1/2" or is it more than this. I have one but it's at the blacksmiths getting straightened after a crash. I need to buy more and I have found a supplier for 6&1/2" Ashtabula 1 piece cranks. Does anyone know the width I need and I shouldn't need to ask because I used to have about 10 of them at home but have run out. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 1piece crankA.jpg
    1piece crankA.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 410
that's info i could use, too...

but i only replied to say "wow, that's a nice stash you got there."

I'll get answer to you after work if you haven't gotten it by now. I have one sitting in a box at home.

Thanks HoughMade I can rest assured it will be accurate but I thought your work came second to bike matters!

I hope these pics do it for you...looks wider than 6.5 to me.

Attachments

• DSC00124.JPG
    DSC00124.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC00125.JPG
    DSC00125.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 372
I hope these pics do it for you...looks wider than 6.5 to me.

Thanks for doing that for me HoughMade but that's what I didn't want to hear - an 8" crank. Spookytooth have 6.5" & 5.5" etc. You'd have thought they'd have the width we need for the 4 stroke but they only sell the HT motors. That means that there is absolutely no source for the Grubee 1 piece crank except Grubee themselves and the only help you will get from there is the offer of a 40 foot shipping container full of cranks FOB Shanghai. Exactly what the struggling punter wants - 30 tons of cranks arriving at your nearest port 8 months after you order and all you have to do is pay another $5000 in customs duty and your worries are over
The problems that the change to 3 piece cranks has caused for the poor customers is so typical of this market. Pass me my revolver!

Irish, I have heard the wide crank came from a exercise bike. I haven't had time to really search but this may be worth a look.

I think the wide crank is from a Chinese exercise bike but that makes it harder to find. It's not listed on Ali Baba and it seems to only be available from China Gas by the container load. I asked Don Grube to send me half a dozen but no luck. It makes the kits useless to me unless I can get those cranks although I can use the 3 piece on cruisers with a 3 piece BB but those cruisers also require me to fabricate different tank fixings because of the deep top tube as shown in the photo. I'm already all set up for motorising the Schwinn D7 with special hub clamps and sprockets and it is actually a very nice bike because it is steel framed and has springers with v-brakes which makes it very comfortable.
The Cheetah Phantom is a nice alloy bike with two decent brakes but no suspension and a 3 piece BB.
We can't even get the HS kit in Australia because the importer had trouble with the motors and has stopped ordering them. I have to use the Honda kit but people don't mind the extra expense if the finished product is good enough. The 3 piece crank isn't really good enough to put on an expensive build. That's my problem.

Attachments

• Cheetah Phantom.jpg
    Cheetah Phantom.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 395
Found source of wide 1 piece crank in China

That wide one piece crank that comes from China is made in a factory near Shanghai and is US $1.58 FOB Shanghai. It is made for an exercise bike.
I'm looking into ordering some because I'm fed up with being used as a sucker by the kit suppliers and having crud fobbed off on me every time I buy a kit.
Money talks in China and no matter what is patented by whom it can be got if you have someone on the ground. My mind is beginning to think around the confines of the contrived cruddy kits. I'd really love to hit the suppliers where it hurts and get just the bits I want and leave all the rest of the stuff in China where it belongs.
Why buy a kit when you have to throw so much of it out?
I've now got someone on the ground to check things out and source parts. Just wish I had someone in India because the engineering is so much better.
Attached pic of crank from China.

Attachments

• EXERCISERS ONE PIECE CRANK.jpg
    EXERCISERS ONE PIECE CRANK.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 373
Back