How Wide is the Golden Eagle sheave?

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by ironwarlock, May 28, 2007.

1. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

Can anybody tell me how wide the Golden Eagle sheave is? I have one inch to work with. :(

2. OldPete

OldPete Guest

3. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

I took a look at those pictures. :) Looks like when I get back at the shop on Wen. I will pull a sheet of 7/8 alum and cut my own sheave. Its better this way. If I machine it. It will bolt right on the rim (no stress on the spokes). ;Ill post pictures.

4. OldPete

OldPete Guest

There is a guy in the review section over at GEBE that rides a small tired recumbent. He used the top portion of a 5 gallon bucket to build a rear drive hoop.

5. Torques

Torques Guest

That sounds like a good system. ??? :shock:

6. OldPete

OldPete Guest

I do not recall using the word good.
    Can good ideas come out of looking at other peoples work-arounds? Mmmm...You betcha!
    Save the attacks for video games. :razz: :cool:

ironwarlock, have a look-see http://www.bikeengines.com/timtest.htm

7. Torques

Torques Guest

It's not an attack, sorry you took it that way. You seem pretty defensive, what happened to you? Sure, there are lots of great ideas from great minds here. Coming up with ideas yourself can be difficult, especially when operating those ideas in the real world. I wonder how long that guys wheel will last under long-term operating conditions? Who made you my mother? :shock:

8. Torques

Torques Guest

You will need 1 1/4 inch.

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

misunderstandings happen, i should know...it's noone's fault, it's difficult to interpret text.

keeping the fray going, however, is a different story. ok, i'll get outta the way now.

10. Torques

Torques Guest

I have difficulty writing sometimes and I can be sarcastic. Let me put it this way. It may not always be the best idea to suggest someone else's idea to a problem. Not all ideas work or are very efficient. In fact, some may be just bad ideas. My torque strap on my prototype custom conversion broke two days ago, not because I didn't make it perform but because the strap was too small and not strong enough due to my mount configuration. The solution was to put a larger, thicker strap there. It won't break again. Many of us are playing engineers here like myself and Vinnie from Fountain Hills that I know of. My comment was a subtle way of saying "it might not work because it's not a GOOD idea". Maybe it's not a good idea, maybe it is, my opinion is mine but just like other members here have their ideas, I can pick and choose what I believe will work and I hope other members will point out deficiencies in my design. Done. :shock:

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

it's all good, i'm just doing my job...

so, i see you got the info you need, apparently (i'm not rack-mount experienced) you don't quite have enough room to do what you want...any ideas on that?

12. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Torques,
    I'm just a fistey old man yanking a younger guys chain. Lighten up.

Did you miss the :razz: :smile: in my post that started this? :cool:

Edit: spelling

13. Torques

Torques Guest

On my orange peewee bike I have 4600 miles since September and on the prototype custom conversion 850 miles since May 3, 2007, it's birthday. That's the pace I am purposely riding this new bike. I have learned a lot about the GEBE system by trial and error. :shock:

14. DougC

DougC Guest

I'd be surprised this would work much at all.
    The channels around the edge of a bucket is smooth, and the GEBE ring has two sets of "teeth" for the belt to catch on. The teeth are about 80 degrees and spaced opposite each other.
    ~

15. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Did you read the review? Hahaha!

I just got off the phone with GEBE. I had some pre-purchase questions and was told this guy has not had an issue yet. YET.
    I think the teeth are made from the coat hanger that was used as the attaching medium.

Neither of you guys should ever own a vintage car or motorcycle that would have to be streetable. :grin:

16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

you'd be surprised at what old-school gearhead-ology can make work...don't be afraid of new ideas. even if it doesn't work, "yet", you can maybe be the one to make the final improvement needed :)

17. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

Work't on the blueprint for a sheave today. Tomorrow when I get to the shop. I'm gonna make it out of aluminum. It attaches right to the side of the rim.(No broken spokes).
    [​IMG]

18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

nice :)

my kingdom for a machine shop!!

19. OldPete

OldPete Guest

OH! A V belt drive.
    The 1909 NSU board track bike had a 4" wide leather belt driven drive pulley on the left of the rear tire. This was used to an advantage on the wooden tracks. While racing it acted like a third wheel digging in on turns.

Point! Make sure you have cornoring clearance. In the event of an emergency maneuver it may cause the loss of rear tire traction.

Note: Automotive and industrial belts use different V groove angles. This is very important and it's why a car belt will not last long on a washing machine or drill press. :cool:

20. Torques

Torques Guest

What guy are you talking about?