Howdy from Key West

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Elizabeth16, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Elizabeth16

Elizabeth16 New Member

Hey guys!

So after a few weeks of looking at mopeds and scooters (the way to go to get around key west) after doing my daily 6 mile across the island commute on bike (one way), I got sick of thinking of spending $600 on something that hardly pushes 30 mph. I love my bike (even named her baby blue), and got this crazy idea of getting a motor and putting it on baby blue. Hence, here I am, ready to get crazy, and start representing motorized bikes among all the scooter madness here in Key West.

first, here's the bike I've got right now. Huffy Women's Deluxe 1 speed cruiser. 26" frame, and 26" by 2.35 stock tires.

I'm thinking adding the GT5 Pro Racer 2 stroke kit. Found here. Along with a backup brake system, just because of the cruiser brakes, and the amount of traffic I'll be with here. Also a nice DOT rated motorcycle helmet, of course.

Anywho, you'll see me around. Any and all advice welcome.

2. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

Not sure if a china girl 80/66cc engine will fit in that frame. For greater reliability, I would take off the back rack and rear fender and mount a friction drive. Wish ya well
  3. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

you would have to cut off the top tube that spans the steering to the seat post and then weld in a similar sized tube that is straight in order for there to be enough room for the engine.
    2 strokes take a lot of mechanical skill/knowledge to maintenance and modify.
    I would recommend you get an expensive electric setup since there is no maintenance to an electric bike other than changing the batteries once a year.
  4. Elizabeth16

Elizabeth16 New Member

I have no problem working with 2 strokes... Thankfully I'm surrounded by gentlemen very versed in working with 2 and 4 stroke engines, as they all fix boats for a living. I see the problem with the frame- mount. Would it be possible to do the 66/80 on a rack mount in the back?

Problem with electric is money for what you get, which is exactly why I'm not fixing my electric moped up. The electric kits I can afford + battery cost won't make my 12 mile round trip commute.
  5. Bonefish

Bonefish Member
  6. Elizabeth16

Elizabeth16 New Member

Hm... Wondering if it might be best to sell baby blue and buy a bike better suited to hold the china girl kit? Definitely on the motorized bike trend but sadly have about a $300-$400 budget for whole build.
  7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

check junk yards and scrap meets for a more suitable frame, you can often get a good beefy steel frame for next to nothing
  8. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

9. Elizabeth16

Elizabeth16 New Member

How hard is it to take off the rack and rear fender? What's the speed on that roadbug friction drive?
  10. butre

butre Well-Known Member

looks like they're welded on, so as easy as cutting it off
  11. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

With that 4 stroke Honda GX35 clone I linked you, you can expect speeds around 28 mph. Same as a china girl.
  12. Zen builder

Zen builder Member

Swap that bike for one that will accommodate the engine. It will save you bunches of money. You can always paint your new bike the color you want. Chances are , you can find a cruiser a color you like. I do like the tires though.
  13. noxuz

noxuz New Member

Jaguar, i have been searching you, i have read all your tuning tips for the motor, i need to ask you some questions about the jaguar cdi.
  14. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

Here is a pict. of my Blue Friction Drive. It hit 35mph.