Howdy from NWARK

solorbob

Local time
6:19 AM
Howdy everyone,

I'm in NW Arkansas, and I've been lurking around here for the past few days. I really like the looks of the motorized bikes, so I'm looking to build one for myself. Do you think the 80cc kit will be strong enough for a larger, 330#, guy? Anyone suggest a good setup for me?

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:
Welcome!

I've been wondering the same thing for a while. I've been a member for 6 months or so. I haven't seen a thread on the topic yet.

FYI: No such thing as 80cc HT's. They're 70cc at most.

Welcome to MBc, solorbob! To try to answer your question, I can say that even the smaller 48cc engines have a reasonable amount of power to haul big guys like ourselves around. I have a pair of 48cc GruBee-powered bikes, and even on hills (except steep ones) I don't have much of a problem. That's with the 50-tooth rear sprocket. The "80cc" (which in actuality is 67cc - call it deceptive marketing) will have a bit more torque, but not likely to add anything to the top end.
Now here's something that was touched upon earlier in another thread. Though this is highly unscientific, it seems that the 48cc engines might tend to last longer. The have the same botton end as the larger engines, but they aren't being stressed by the higher torque. I hope this helps.

Thanks KilroyCD. That's the exact info I was looking to find. I was wanting to hear that it is even plausible to get me going between 15mph - 20mph. I'm not looking for the 30mph mark.

I have a route to work that is mostly flat, but it would be a bit longer, maybe 1/4-1/2 mile longer, but no hills. The most direct way is about 3.25 miles and it includes a 1/2 mile long incline. I see people biking up it, but they have on the spandex racers stuff. I'm more of the beer belly, business casual dress kinda guy.

I'm still looking for the correct engine / bike combo, but I've narrowed it down to not an ebay special for $99. I have more to read before I figure out what I need.

Thanks,
Shawn

50 tooth sprocket will suit your needs without stressing the motor too much for the proposed weight.

I run a 50cc happy time and it has all the power I need and more. I have a feeling I'd be happy with, say, 30cc.

but I'm 170 lbs. So there's a difference there. But I'd suspect that it will be powerful enough for you, especially with the larger drive sprocket.

I'm a bit more concerned about the bicycle itself; there's no denying that the bike takes more of a beating when motorized. Remember the old Schwinn Heavi-Dutis? I took a look at Schwinn's website once and they still offer it. About $250.00. And if they're as tough as the ones from 30-40 yrs ago, then that might be a good choice. I've had this in the back of my mind for when I upgrade the bike.

Back