hows my tune ???????????????????

hi alll i was just wodering what people thought of my tune, when it sounds like its four stroking the throttle is backed of a fair bit just kinda coasting,i weigh about 80-85kg it dose 40-44 Kph, is their also to much machical noise, hears the vid :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkdTuDoYCZw

thanks guys:cool:

get a bigger air cleaner!!!!!!!!thats what made my 4 stroking stop, as for the noise pack some grease behind your clutch plate

Be done with it and get yourself an Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge and fit it to your bike.
You will then be able to reasonably tune your engine without going to the expense of getting an air/fuel ratio measuring device.

An EGT takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

I kind look like being rich at high RPM, try put the needle down one spline and check again.

Whats the fuel/oil ratio?

Whats the spark plug, grade an how it looks?

You don't need an EGT just learn to feel what's going on the engine, and do plug chops.

I would try a non contact thermometer method, to check how hot is it going and what is the hottest (pipe or head)
it helps to know if you're running poor.

Felipe

You are right: you don't need an EGT, but having an EGT on the bike is a night and day difference in quickly zoning in on the correct jetting.

I've been playing with 2-strokes for years and participated in amateur racing so i'm not a complete f*&kwit when it comes to setting up a carburettor.
Having an EGT makes the process so much easier and it lets you know if you are actually going in the right direction and if the changes are making a real difference; not simply going on a wild goose chase.

You certainly do not need it, but life is all rainbows and strawberry cheese cake with an EGT on the bike.

hi i agree that it needs a bigger air cleaner when i take it off it does pull out to 49kph, im running 25/1 with castrol activ motor bike oil http://www.castrolmoto.com/au/our_oils_new/activ_2t.php, it a brown slightly grey colour, if i put the needle down its to lean and rev of idle and one clip richer it fourstrokes its head off, i think it needs main jet work, the noise seems to be from the crank case, the intake manifold has being grinded out to port size and the exhaust it the same, i have lots of greese on the gears in the clutch :cool:

remember, changing the needle setting does not have any effect at w.o.t.
the needle setting is only effective from idle until about 3/4 throttle.
If you're getting 4 stroking at w.o.t., chances are, you'll need to re-jet the carb.
at w.o.t. the needle is out of the equation and the main jet is doing all of the fuel metering at that point.

your idle seems way too high.
are you sure that you're not fighting an air leak?

This thread is going to go for 6 pages, yet an EGT could identify and fix the problem within 4 posts.

Why do people insist on doing things the hard way!

Hi guys the idle is set high in that part cause I had the screw out and hadn't botherd to set it yet and it help it run cold :) these no leak on the manifold 100% sure, where do you buy a basic jet kit and where's a good size to start ?

If you had the idle screw out (removed) from the carb, that could be part of the problem right there. with no idle screw you will have an air leak there, and it won't idle.

an egt could solve the issue, but where do you get one? Where do you install it? How much is it? And what will it tell you?
It will tell you if your fuel-air mixture is too lean or too rich based on exhaust gas temps .
but if you know how to read a spark it & know how to jet a carb, you won't really need an egt .
even if you do use an egt you still have to tear the carb apart & re-jet it, re- check it and go through the whole re-jetting procedure until its jetted right (or as close as possinle)so its not like you'd be saving much time.
Check with sick bike parts for carb jets.

Back