Clutch HT Clutch puck source??

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Pablo, May 29, 2009.

1. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Where are folks buying the squarish clutch pucks?

Mine are toast.

2. POPS

POPS Member

Pablo

PM sent...POPS

3. Junster

Junster Member

I looked on Zoom they had 1 set in stock.

4. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

can't you cut your own?

5. Pablo

If I had the time. I may be doing just that.

But I went ahead and bought the set from Zoom just to see what I get and to get riding.

6. machiasmort

How do they attach to the flywheel? I never had one appart. Maybe use brake pads was my idea?

7. Pablo

They just rest in the cut outs of the gear. They are the meat in a friction sandwich.

8. Junster

Junster Member

Pablo do you have to take the 3 pin plate off to get to the 53 bearing race? If you do have to take it off is it under the full clutch spring pressure? (will stuff go flying if I take the nut in the middle off) I don't mean the clutch adjustment nut. I mean the one you see when you remove the outer clutch plate. I have a rattle, occasional squeal from in there someplace ever since my motor was new esp. at higher speeds. It's only when I'm underway never when the clutch is pulled. That the only place left I think it could be coming from.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  9. Pablo

Yes.

Most clutches rattle.

10. machiasmort

Our Brother fastboy9 posted this video and a few others. Please thank him for his time. It's an excellent resource for those who never took a clutch appart!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HicH3ZXSU9g

Other good repair vids.

Those pucks seriously just float in there? I thought they were glued at least!

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  11. Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith Member

Are the pucks just the sidewall of an old tire cut up? Anyone know how thick they are?

12. Pablo

I'm sorry but that video is of little use. It even has some wrong info....no offense.....I mean it shows a little of the clutch.....but stretching that spring doesn't help....

The pucks don't "float" per se, they are captured in the hub, but they must be able to slide parallel to the shaft.

13. Pablo

Mine are old tire sidewalls. I'm not sure how thick they are when new.

14. machiasmort

Like I said, I've never had mine appart. I wouldn't have a clue... As far as thickness, I would measure w/caliper or mic and just add .070 material to whats left on the ones that don't grab.

That spring that he stretches in the vid throws the flywheel away from the clutch plate when you pull the clutch into neutral. It's something to consider if your bike don't go into neutral when your clutch is pulled!

Idea!!! How about putting something behind the discs or on the flywheel itself to make up for the wear!!! A few layers of furnace tape???

15. Junster

Junster Member

I'm not sure what the one's that came with my Zoom motor are made of but I don't think they are pieces of tire.

16. Pablo

Mine are not only made from tires and down to the nylon cords, the steel cords are breaking free. In the clutch "box" this can't be a good thing.

17. Junster

Junster Member

Well hopefully the new ones from Zoom will be there soon.

18. Pablo

No problem. Seems like mine are worn more than 0.070". But I will know for sure when my new pads show up by the end of the week.

Kinda sorta. That spring is very compressed, but it's a lightweight spring...it only helps stabilize the outer "flywheel" - which is really the outer half of the friction plate sandwich.

Sounds messy, but you have helped get the creative juices going.

19. machiasmort

LOL pieces of tire! Wouldn't surprise me!!! LOL

If you could take an accurate read of thickness, it would certainly interest me!

20. Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith Member

clutch pucks

Well...
    I took the clutch plate off my new grubee starfire gen II that I haven't fired up yet. it has the square pucks and they are glued on. I couldn't tell if there is a recess for the pucks to fit in. The material has white fiber cord through it like a tire would have but it seems to be a stiffer material than tire rubber (I poked it with a knife)...seems like a brake shoe lining to me. I wasn't able to measure the puck thickness.

Right now I'm just miffed at my clutch plate scraping metal when I have the clutch handle pulled back and locked. The three holes for the guide pins weren't drilled concentrically with the disk and the outer edge is scraping the inside of the large gear.

Peace out,
    Bryan