HT engine mounting on huffy cranbrook

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by cavalierchristian, Nov 30, 2011.

1. cavalierchristian

cavalierchristian New Member

Will I have to have any custom mounts for the huffy cranbrook when I go to mount my china ebay 66cc? I am pretty confident that it will mount to the verticle bar with no problem, but the horizontal bottom bar is pretty fat. Anyone have any difficulty out of the bottom bar? And if you did, what did you do to "customize" the mounting?
    Thanks!
    Matt

2. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Cranbrook

I also have a Cranbrook coming to me. (Walmart Black friday, $69.95) And will need this information. Luckily, I know the perfect person to ask. He is known as Sgt. Howard on this site and has a real pretty Cranbrook that he is quite proud of. He's a good dude and I'm sure would be happy to answer any question you might have about Huffy Cranbrook's. Look him up. Or just do a search for Cranbrook on this site and I'm pretty sure you'll come up with all kinds of stuff.
    Big Red.

3. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Due to the front tube being curved, I recommend a front custom made mount. Without a custom mount the engine won't be seated on both tubes correctly. Here are some ideas, this way you can determine at what height you want to mount the engine. Higher if you need chain guard clearance, lower if no chain guard. Mount the engine on the seat tube then work with the front tube.

[​IMG] ......[​IMG]

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

cavalierchristian, obviously a nooby here, a heads up ! Avoid drilling holes n the frame at all cost if possible. Especially aluminum frames.

5. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

OR, had you known that the bottom bar was fatter than the vertical bar, you could have bought an engine with a "big mount".
    depending on who you bought (or will buy) your engine kit from, ask for one with a bigger front mount.
    On e-bay (depending on the seller), you can find them with this mount and they are listed as "big mount" in the kit description most of the time.
    With this engine there is no need for a special or modified engine mount.
    scroll down and read # 14 in the description..I know,it's bgf, but this is just an example of what you need to find.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/80CC-MOTOR-...067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16592bab

6. cavalierchristian

cavalierchristian New Member

ok, so from what i gather i can just use an exhaust clamp in place of the usual hardware with the kit, correct? I didnt see an engine kit that offered a larger front mounting cup... ANy more help on this matter is greatly appreciated

7. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Mount kit

Yeah bro, The auto muffler type clamp is the way to go on these. DO NOT fall for the drill a hole in your frame type. I've done it before ONLY as a last resort and NEVER on a nice bike. I've seen a clamp type with two clamps on it and can't remember where, I'll keep looking. I think it would just hold tighter. If I can't find it I'll just make one myself. Some steel plate, a couple of clamps and my drillpress, VIOLA, a motor mount. But if you don't have all that, Moto is right. you can just buy one on slease-bay in the BICYCLE ENGINE section.
    Big Red

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

Well, I bought an engine that has a bigger front mounting cup machined right into the crankcase. I actually had to modifiy the frame mount by welding a bigger diameter tube to for my occ chopper so this engine would fit.
    They're out there, you just have to know how to find one and know what to look for.
    The muffler clamp will work, but it won't be as clean looking in my opinion.

9. Al.Fisherman

First they make (2) different front mounts that are mentioned. I also had to weld a front tube for the chopper I built for my son. Second the flat plate mount people are referring to is junk. I have one and just short of trashing it I will give it away (postage). The problem of using it is after you bolt the plate to the engine, you can't tighten the muffler clamp tight enough as the ends of the clamp come in contact with the engine case. For those of you that want to see what I'm talking about I'll snap some pictures.

The muffler clamp is really needed to be reversed and as you can see (in the attachments) it can't be done with this type of mount. The person I bought a bunch of parts even cut the clamp in hopes that there would be enough clamp to engine case clearance......nope.

Here are two another options... [​IMG]....[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  10. wan37

wan37 Member

red I saw the big clamp with two on it at kingsmotorbike but 15.00 is kinda high I think.I bought one a 8 months ago its nice if you need it.Hope this helps.

11. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Huffy

Thanks again Al, But the pic's you are showing have a single U Bolt. Wan37 say's he's seen one with the 2 bolt setup on the King's site. I'll check it out and let ya'll know what happens.
    Big Red.

12. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Mount.

Thats the one bro. But yer right, $15.00 is a little high for this poor soul. If I have a little extra cash when it comes time that I'll need it, I MIGHT go ahead and order it. It would still be cheaper (and better built,) If I just made it myself.
    And Al, If ya got one of these I will get it from you. I like to keep it in the family if I can.
    Big Red.

13. Al.Fisherman

I sent you a PM
    Ron

14. I'm wondering if the cheap Chinese rear wheel on the Cranbrook will hold up using the rag joint rear sprocket. I can just see the broken spokes now.....

15. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

One thing folks on this forum have given to the Cranbrooks is the fact that as of 20011, they are using 12ga. Spokes. I think it's 12, maybe 14 ga. But go to Wally World and look at the Cranbrooks and compare the spokes to the other China bikes they have. You'll see the difference, big time. Now the rear hub might be a different story. You ought to get a reply or two on this one. There are several people here that have built them. I have no personal experience with them (Cranbrooks) myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  16. danmarjon

danmarjon Member

Here is a mount I made, if you get a u-bolt that is a little bigger, find some rubber to fill the void. I wish that I had done that. I made the plate out of an electric j-box cover (cheap)

Attached Files:

17. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Spokes

The spokes on the Huffy are the heavier guage so it should work a little better than on most bikes. But still, the better way to go is a good Hub Adapter. They are a little expensive but solve a thousand problems.
    That being said, I have never used an adapter simply because I could never afford one. If I could EVER come up with the money for one I would use it in a heartbeat.
    Big Red.

18. skipS

skipS Member

I have a huffy Panama jack retro cruiser that was purchased at Walmart. the spokes are beefy, not sure what gauge but the are 100thousands of an inch thick. After two full seasons I have had zero broken or lose spokes. all I did was zip tie them together at point where they cross

19. skipS

skipS Member

So the clamp system on the pink frame does not work? Did i miss something?

20. wan37

wan37 Member

hey red I also found the two clamp brackets at spooktooth for 8 dollars that cheaper yet.